I've always thought about this, and it bothers me at times. What do our possessions mean to us, and why do a lot of us always strive to acquire more? Would I be just as happy if everything material that I value was taken away?

How materialistic are you? Discuss.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I think it's easy to think that you really don't care for material possessions when you aren't really in need of/want for nothing. I have always had plenty of clothes and so I have always thought it was odd when people around me would talk about getting new clothes like it was a big deal. While it may have been for them, I never saw it as a big deal because I was always more than taken care of in that regard. I finally started thinking about it and realized why they were acting that way, haha.

Some people do go to extremes that are beyond nuts though...sometimes this is unwarranted, but sometimes it is somewhat understandable. My dad is pretty into material stuff, but not only did he have a crappy home-life where he had very little (until my REAL grandparents adopted him), he also had what little he had taken and broken in front of him by his abusive older brothers. So, now he really enjoys being able to buy some crazy **** (although, he still donates and contributes to those less fortunate...he's a good guy).
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
the thing is: everyone wants everything. but once you have everything you become bored with it. the only exception might be david gilmour
How materialistic am I, honestly?

Very.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
I tend to give most of my things away to people who like them. Cds, books, movies, an amp and guitar once, my cymbals..

So. Not very..
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by whatadrag
the thing is: everyone wants everything. but once you have everything you become bored with it. the only exception might be david gilmour

haha i was just rereading the guitar world issue on him and that is actually pretty true
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.
Wow, I really didn't answer the question. I don't think I really know how materialistic I actually am, because I have never had all my possessions taken away from me. I would like to think I would be ok, but I really can't say for sure how I would react.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
well, I don't really think I'm all that materialistic since I usually just want to buy stuff that would have a practical use in my life: food, maybe a new pair of jeans, a guitar that will fit my new needs as a classical guitar major (or have the current one fixed to accomodate such needs), new strings for my electric as well as an amp cable that won't act up every five minutes, fencing gear now that I started doing that and found it quite enjoyable, and perhaps an ipod; but i'm used to not having any of those, so I'll be good without them, except maybe the guitar thing... that is almost a must 'cuase it's getting increasingly hard to play on my guitar since it has SUPER high action

Also, the things I am most attached to are the ones that I have a most practical use for such as my guitars, my clothes, my laptop (in which I save every form of data that I need for long-term useage)
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Most of the stuff I own I wouldn't have any qualms about dumping. None of it's really essential.

Plus, music isn't really a material, and that's all that I'm really attached to...
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
^

you finally changed that quote to mIles davis, lol
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Yep! And the other one back to "Voltaire."

I'm still calling for a recount, by the way.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
I don't have an Ipod, an Iphone, or rather a good cell phone, I don't have an Xbox 360, and like 18ish shirts and like 4 pairs of pants and I'm fine. I don't ****ing care about materials, I hate how materialistic people are. It actually sickens me.
With the Exception of Musical Equipment, I don't care for much of any other material possesions. And the only reason I'm materialistic about musical equipment is because the more gear you have the creative opportunities you have. All I ever carry on me is money, drug paraphanelia, and guitar picks.
I will admit that i am quite materialistic.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
I don't like materialism, but in todays world, what choice do you have? I still have a TV with words that go off the edge of the screen.
Asked Santa for a Carvin though...
Nobody leaves this place without singin' the blues.
Last edited by vlad88888888 at Oct 14, 2007,
I'm very materialistic, yo. Material, impermanent possessions are all that make life worth living! Why, I couldn't be truly happy without all my shallow, instantly-gratifying possessions.

That wasn't sarcasm, either. :P
You will find me as cute as your favourite nephew
Until I break your knees with a baseball bat
You will find me so kind, I'll be someone you like
Until I brush your teeth with a razorblade
I am quite materialistic when it comes to guitar gear and instruments. Other than that, not very.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
I live in the most materialistic place in the world.

It's on par with Beverly Hills. All the kids have iPhones and the newest ****.

I am not one of those people, although I do admire new things verrrrrrrrrrrrry occasionally.
I try not to be...there isn't a lot of stuff that I'm attached to. I have a mobile which I use fairly regularly, I guess. But I don't really buy a lot of "stuff" so much...I don't buy clothes etc. CD's would be my main materialistic kind of thing, but I don't really have much else. A lot of what I do have I would give away in a heartbeat.

I saw a cool stencil spraypainted on a footpath near a local shopping centre.

"Support capitalism; buy more **** you don't need."

I salute whomever did it.
im very materialistic when it comes to my guitar gear,everything else doesnt really matter anymore
www.gameandsave.com

Good Deals:

-UG-Sumphead,Miggy01,Bostonrocks

-HC-sdresdre,XMahkaihX,Juan_M,mmcquain,teletaylor,frankiej
Is it really materialistic when it comes to music instruments, when really, what's making you happy or feel good, is what's coming out of it, instead of the actual instrument itself?

I don't know, unless you're into rare, premium, solid wood, and a shiit load of abalone and inlays and gaudy stuff like that.
well i'm one of the people who like to just go somewhere and get away from it, right now, my guitar and to a lesser extent my computer are what helps me get away.

but then again, that's not really materialistic, is it? i ussually lend out all the stuff i'm not using, if i'm gonna be using something then i dont lend it out becase, obviously, i'll be using it.

i'm not quite sure, maybe someone could answer this for me, do i seem very materialistic?
I think materialistic is basing your happiness or well-being on materials. ^^I don't think you're materialistic.
Quote by lawinnn
I think materialistic is basing your happiness or well-being on materials. ^^I don't think you're materialistic.

ah i see what you mean, thanks.