to have a band with no drummer at all, and just have a bass player who does alot of slap playing? cause ive been messing around and i've managed to get a few drum sounding beats out of my bass. i would think that would be a cool idea to be different somehow, but idk if it would work
Anything possible
try it
you could be the pioneer
MM Stingray-MM Sterling-Austin Intruder-De-fretted Slammer-GK 115SBX-GK 1001RB-II-Fender Rumble 100-RB 5 Piece Prumkit-Burswood Acoustic-Squire Strat

Quote by Forcemaster
Dude, your hair owns.
Have a pie.

www.myspace.com/thedeathbynumbers
I saw leaves' eyes last month and the bass player was doing some INSANE slapping that was actually on synch with the drummer and even sometimes over-shadowed him in that section, so I can safely say that it can be done, and it'd be really cool if you were to be the guy that really takes it to a new level where it is actually a solid playing style
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
for on of my compositions at school i was playing slap bass in replacement of a drum kit, but that was play on a seperate track. sure, i think you can do it
that is why slap was invented... i thaught this was common knowlage..........
larry graham was a guitar player with his mother who sang and played piano.... when their drummer left.. they had nothing to keep the beat... so he took the bass, he didnt like the fingerstyle like everyone else was, and figured he was going to back to guitar so he didnt ahve to do it properly...... he still needed something to keep the beat tho so after many different experimental playing styles he came across basically what is now slap.. the slapping was for the bass drum and the popping was the snare drum... so it is possible.... its jsut a little wierd

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Yes, its possible, but as a bass player your timing better be dead on, because you ARE the rhythm section at that point.

I think it sounds OK for a few songs here and there, but its not my cup of tea for an overall sound.
Have you ever heard Fieldy play? He claims he is a drummer "trapped" in a bassist's body.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
why wouldn't you be able to?

lol. is there some law enforcement agency that makes it only legal to play with a drummer? am I missing something?

never be afraid of trying something new musically. You don't need permission to make new music.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
When I saw Richard Thompson last year it was just him on an acoustic and Danny Thompson (no relation) on a double bass and they made a phenomenal sound.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
the beatles didnt have a drummer at all first in liver pool they didnt get pete best until jsut before they went to hamburg germany

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Since when were bands restricted to the Guitar-Bass-Drums set up, look at bluegrass there's no sutch thing as drums, its all done by the bass.
Yes - originally country and western musicians weren't allowed drum kits in certain venues, so they used the natural percussiveness of certain acoustic guitars and slapped upright basses.

I'd love to hear what this sounds like to be honest.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
There's an guitar player, I can't remember his name now, I think it starts with a D, anyway when he plays acoustic he slaps a rythym(sp) on the body while tapping or playing fingerstyle, it's pretty amazing actaully.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
what do you mean? of course it's possible but it depends. For driving heavy rock and metal music, no way. For a lot of other styles tho, maybe.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Narcotics
that is why slap was invented... i thaught this was common knowlage..........
larry graham was a guitar player with his mother who sang and played piano.... when their drummer left.. they had nothing to keep the beat... so he took the bass, he didnt like the fingerstyle like everyone else was, and figured he was going to back to guitar so he didnt ahve to do it properly...... he still needed something to keep the beat tho so after many different experimental playing styles he came across basically what is now slap.. the slapping was for the bass drum and the popping was the snare drum... so it is possible.... its jsut a little wierd

Man, I'm risking being put in a sig here, but read his post. He made THE point. Slap was invented to fill in for an absent drummer. That is, the first slap bassist ever was in a band with no drummer. The thread could have stopped at that post.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by hatebreed219
There's an guitar player, I can't remember his name now, I think it starts with a D, anyway when he plays acoustic he slaps a rythym(sp) on the body while tapping or playing fingerstyle, it's pretty amazing actaully.

Andy McKee? He's not the only one but is the only name that comes to mind right now, and I love listening to his stuff.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
It is possible. If I were to approach it, I would use a looper pedal and change between playing the percussion and bassline.
Quote by indie-bassist
Andy McKee? He's not the only one but is the only name that comes to mind right now, and I love listening to his stuff.

Dominic Frasca, that's his name! Ha-ha! I found it on accident on youtube, look this mofo up. He may be a guitar player, but what he does could easily be applied to the bass.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by samick007
to have a band with no drummer at all, and just have a bass player who does alot of slap playing? cause ive been messing around and i've managed to get a few drum sounding beats out of my bass. i would think that would be a cool idea to be different somehow, but idk if it would work

it would, but i prefer a drummer so im not the only one keeping beat
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come