Ok, I'm having a really hard time deciding on which cabinet to upgrade to.
I own a 1x15 and 4x10 that I'm selling, so I've come down to two cabinets.

Gallien-Krueger Neo 4x12
Fender Bassman 8x10

Honestly I don't know which to go for, it'll be a couple of months before I can buy either or.. So I was hoping to get some feedback on these two cabinets and which is better sounding.

If it helps I have a Warwick Corvette Ash and a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB Head. I was thinking combining the Gallien-Kruger head and 4x12 would give me Justin Chancellor's sound from Tool.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
Honestly I don't see any point in an 8x10, unless you plan to be playing any stadiums anytime soon. a 4x10 will give you a nice growl, matched with a bottom end more than big enough for practice and any gig.
Well I don't want another 4x10, so the 4x12 huh.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
Quote by AfroMan Skeeter
Well I don't want another 4x10, so the 4x12 huh.

Sorry, I meant 4x12, typo lol
I'd personally agree to go with a 4 ohm 410 or something, but if you absolutely must know this. The 810 will seem to have a louder sound, because the 8 10" cabinets will each be pushing more air than the 4 12" cabinets.

But they will have a different tone, so try 'em out.
haha
Well a 4x12 will be plenty loud, I was wondering though. The 4x12 weighs 56 pounds and a 2x12 weighs 64 pounds. They're both Gallien-Krueger Neo's, so did they just get the weights wrong?
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
The speakers themselves dont weigh that much because they're not traditional ceramic magnets but with the 2x12 theres a lot more wood per speaker than in the 4x12. Also in the 4x12 they might use less wood to further reduce weight.

If weight is an issue do not go for the 8x10. It'll weigh well over 100lbs.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
the 8x10 will be louder and nicer, but if you plan on travelling, go with the 4x12... trust me.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Go for the 4x12, it should have a better frequency responce.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
I personally am going for an 8X10 and 2 1X15's and a 1,100 watt head...

But I'm playing gigs to like 40 people in a small space... I 'need' it.

I'm already the loudest member of my band with just a 1X15" when I eq it right...

edit - and I am not joking. I really am saving up for that stuff.

I suggest that you get the 4X12 or get a 4X10 for now, either one will be plenty loud, and an 8X10 will probably destroy your back. I'm only getting an 8X10 because I can't find any GK 4X10 SBX cabs anymore.
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
Last edited by Leper Affinity at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by Leper Affinity

I'm already the loudest member of my band with just a 1X15" when I eq it right...

I suggest that you get the 4X12 or get a 4X10 for now, either one will be plenty loud, and an 8X10 will probably destroy your back. I'm only getting an 8X10 because I can't find any GK 4X10 SBX cabs anymore.

I also say 4x12, based on size and tone.

I'm currently searching for a GK SBX 4x10 as well, I almost got one at Guitar Center but stupidly purchased the Goldline 4x10 (which was $50 more!) I sold that cabinet about a week later, what a POS that was.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Well weight probably will be an issue seeing as we started up a band and should be moving from place to place pretty often. Even if it's just for practice, so the 4x12 would be better there.

I don't need to blow everyone away with a 8x10, because I'm sure a 4x12 will do just as good of a job.

So all I have to do Is sell my 4x10 and 1x15 huh. Lol fun fun
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
4x12s aren't much smaller than an 810, generally (Just size-wise).

in my experiences, 4x12s are generally the size of a half stack, while an 8x10 is the size of a stack. Hard on the back either way. I love my 8x10, but if it didn't have wheels I'd be screwed.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by UtBDan
in my experiences, 4x12s are generally the size of a half stack, while an 8x10 is the size of a stack. Hard on the back either way. I love my 8x10, but if it didn't have wheels I'd be screwed.

Well with guitar you can have a 412 the size of a halfstack, but with bass it's usually at least the size of a 610.

The Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 412 is the same dimensions as the 810 stack, just about 40 lbs lighter.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Well with guitar you can have a 412 the size of a halfstack, but with bass it's usually at least the size of a 610.

The Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 412 is the same dimensions as the 810 stack, just about 40 lbs lighter.

Yeah, the 8x10 is only 8" taller than the 4x12. At least with the ones I'm looking at. Size doesn't matter really, just how it sounds and performs. I just don't want distortion or a muddy sound.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
then why not try both out in a place like guitar center, and decide which is for you?
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
I would, but neither of the Guitar Center's around me have these cabinets. Sadly, because I know testing things out for yourself is the best way to decide what to buy.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
Quote by Weybl Himself
Honestly I don't see any point in an 8x10, unless you plan to be playing any stadiums anytime soon. a 4x10 will give you a nice growl, matched with a bottom end more than big enough for practice and any gig.

Im guessing you've never plugged into a 8x10 eh???
Why not sell your ampeg combo and just buy a 1x15? I used to use a 4x10 and a 1x15, it was great. Due to transporting them though, I had to cut down to a 4x12, now I just use a 1x15 and a DI.
yeah 810s r a bitch to move around (i hired one) because of the height not so much size as the 412 is around the same spatially but i personally prefer the whole quad box n 115 0r 118 set up lol
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by Leper Affinity

they have several used SBX cabs at used.guitarcenter.com look them up the service with that place is amazeing expecially the san fransisco store and the twin citys store!! all you have to do is when you see something you want call the number of the store that has it and they will set up buying. some charge shipping others (san fransico ) dont
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
i would consider the 4x12 considering your head. the 8x10 probably is not good for you because you cant really power it. if you had 800+w i would recomend the 8x10. maybe you should get the 2x12 and a 4x10 that would be a great sound and if you had a smaller gig/rehersals you can just bring one.

the GK 2x12 is HUGE sounding and very loud i would recomend it considering your head.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Last edited by Emergancy Exit at Oct 16, 2007,
Quote by AfroMan Skeeter
Well a 4x12 will be plenty loud, I was wondering though. The 4x12 weighs 56 pounds and a 2x12 weighs 64 pounds. They're both Gallien-Krueger Neo's, so did they just get the weights wrong?

On GKs website the weight of the 4x12 is quoted as 118lbs, which sounds a bit more accurate.

Another +1 for the 4x12 from me, or get 2 2x12 cabs for even easier transport. My 2x12 is extremely light and sounds great. I like the 12s halfway-house between the boom of a 15" and the punch of a 4x10"
12" bass speakers have improved tremendously in recent years. The weight of the 412 may or may not be comparable to the weight of a Neo loaded 810, but the physical volume of the cabinet isn't. If the 412 has a tweeter, the frequency response is probably a little more broad on the 412, but it'll have a very different voice than the 810.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Cofflecakes
Why not sell your ampeg combo and just buy a 1x15? I used to use a 4x10 and a 1x15, it was great. Due to transporting them though, I had to cut down to a 4x12, now I just use a 1x15 and a DI.

It's not a combo, lol. I just want one cabinet to lug around, not a 4x10 and 1x15. So when I upgrade it'll be the last time.

But the 4x12 is sounding better, for power, weight, and a cross-over tone between a 10" and 15" speaker.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.