I was going to get the Epi but the absolutely retarded seller had listings for guitars he didn't actually have in stock.

So after my refund goes through, I want to get another guitar. Ebay is really sparse for Epi Les Pauls, but they do have Fender strat Standards all over the place.

With some new ones going for 350$. I know that Fender has great warranty services and many shops in New York that are authorized to repair them. So that's a plus. But what type of guitar would I be getting in comparison to the Epi? It also seems to be more light weight and maybe more easy to play, But I don't know enough about guitars yet to decide which would be better.

Also, I have a Roland Cube as an Amp.
I've got a epi lp custom with emgs, and a fender mim strat with new pups, and I like the strat 10 fold over the lp. With the right amp, it can practically do anything, and for me the neck is more comfortable, and you get the versatility. The epiphone should be made of mahogany, so it does have a deeper sound, but the strat is alder, and more resonant, so to me it sounds much better for everything besides high gain stuff. So get the strat.

Plus, down the road, you can always customize it.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Mines sunburst with maple fretboard, mint green pickguard and creme knobs/pup covers.

Black would probably be the easiest to get, and with mint pickguards, they look pimpin IMO.

By the way, look into hss configuration for it. I've got a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge, dimarzio yjm in the middle, and a seymour duncan stacked hot rails in the neck.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
I don't want black because the gloss is prone to scratches. My bass has a black gloss finish and it looks worse then the back of my Ipod. Maybe White or Navy. As for hardware upgrades I think that I'm going to keep it stock for a couple of months then upgrade.
i got a les paul standard and really like it, the cherry sunburst is just classic
Les Pauls and SG are the official guitars of hardcore punk. This means they're also very common in skate punk/pop punk, thrash, post-hardcore/traditional emo as well as alot of alternative. Not to mention all the different sub-types of classic rock they're associated with.

Then again, Strats cover alot of that territory too, but also off into country territory.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by FRDesign
What do you play.

They are about the Same as in quality and playability, but the Epi has a heavier sound.

Maybe quality, but playability? I'm sorry, but we're talking about two completely different guitar designs here.

I personally find the strat's bridge and neck to be much more comfortable. The neck is also a tad thinner and I find that the action on a strat can be lowered much more than a les paul.

That's all personal opinion though.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
sounds to me like someone's never played the guitars he's thinking about buying...
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
The Epi I've played, but it really doesn't matter. I understand that I'm taking a risk with an online purchase but there are several Fender shops in New York. So if I have any issues with the guitar I'll just take it in.
Quote by staticoverdub
sounds to me like someone's never played the guitars he's thinking about buying...

+1

thats a bad idea TS
Quote by Bruce Got Dro
The Epi I've played, but it really doesn't matter. I understand that I'm taking a risk with an online purchase but there are several Fender shops in New York. So if I have any issues with the guitar I'll just take it in.

that's not the point. if you'd actually tried these guitars yourself you wouldn't have asked a question like this. the issue is not whether the shop will accept returns if it breaks.

please just go play these guitars. yes they're both good (why else would they be so popular???) but they're very very different. and listening to people on here tell you what's better isn't necessarily a good thing. often, half of them haven't ever played one of the instruments but swear by the other. while the other half choose the one that looks more metal.

and also don't be scared of other brands. in this price range, you can get guitars made out of much better components. but to reiterate, that doesnt mean they're a better fit for YOU. so go play! have fun! and dont ever worry about how bad you are.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
I have an Epiphone les paul standard and a Fender 50's classic strat. I would say out of my Epi Les paul and my friends MIM strat, the epiphone has far better tones on both neck and bridge pickup but I wouldn't say they were fantastic. A future pickup change would be a recommended upgrade in both cases.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
When I play my PRS with it's 25" scale for a while, it takes quite a few moments to get used to the 25.5" scale on any of my other guitars if I make a switch. The scale length difference alone is what makes some people love the LP and others love the Fender. Play both with a break between.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
At your stage and experience do not buy a guitar off the internet. You must play them first. Comparing the two guitars is like the old "apples and oranges" thing. Depends on what you like best, they are both equal in terms of quality and fans.
Quote by uldhppi
At your stage and experience do not buy a guitar off the internet. You must play them first. Comparing the two guitars is like the old "apples and oranges" thing. Depends on what you like best, they are both equal in terms of quality and fans.

+1 Listen to uldhppi, he was drinking beer, smoking fat ones, and playing Living Wreck and Highway Star when 99.9% of UGers were still sperm.

Quote by uldhppi
This doesn't just apply to people who are new to guitar. When looking into Epiphone guitars, you must always try the specific guitar in person first, and never buy one online.

Epiphone's quality control is very weird. About 60% of the guitars they make are very boringly average. About 30% are absolutely terrible and will fall apart in your hands within a week. The last 10% though can sometimes be incredibly well made, gorgeous guitars.

Obviously, with the chance of finding a good one, you don't want to settle for an average one, or risk getting a bad one.
What you have to do is go to a store, and try out as many of them as you can in person. Do not settle for just an average one, nor should you settle for one if it's the only one they have sitting there; you want to try out at least six or seven, and pick out only the very best one. When it comes to buying, make sure you buy the exact one you've tried out, you don't want to go through all that testing only to be handed a random boxed-up one from the back of the store's storage in the end.

If you take the time and care to cherry-pick the very best Epi you can get your hands on, you can end up with a really high quality instrument that will last you years, and with just a few minor upgrades, a good Epi can in fact compete with mid-range Gibsons and higher-end Fenders in terms of sheer quality.
Of course if you don't take the time to find the best one, you're running the risk of being stuck with a horrible instrument that is worth less than it's strings. For this reason, never buy an Epiphone instrument online, no matter how much of a good deal it may seem to be.
absolutly agree
i play simaler music to you and have and epi lp custom. its great for what i play and the standards are good too. i reccomend them