While looking at the details of ESP Guitars (a guitar brand I've really come to like a lot), I've noticed that some necks are described as "Thin U" and there are others that are described as "Extra-thin U."

Are thinner necks always better? Or is it something you have to test out for yourself and see which you like better?
It would be the latter, you gotta play a few and make your own call. I prefer a neck with some meat to it
Quote by fixationdarknes
Or is it something you have to test out for yourself and see which you like better?

That's the one.
It's a personal thing. I personally love thin necks, but "extra-thin" tend to be too flat for my liking.
thicker necks are better for power chording and playing more then one string at once pretty often.
thin necks are more for shred and faster movement and playing, but then again,
MKH and Corey Beaulieu shred on Deans....so yeah, its all
in preference.

I prefer thin necks like the Wizard necks on Ibanez guitars, because it feels A WHOLE WORLD BETTER on my thumb
I played an old Charvel Charvette one day and it had the thinnest neck I've ever seen. Didn't feel good in my hand.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
for guitar, the thickness doesn't matter too much to me, but I prefer wide necks ( I have fat fingers seeing as how I am a fat man ).
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
It's all personal preferrence. Thin necks are for the more shred-oriented players, whereas thicker necks are for chording and rhythw, but it's not like thin necks are gonna give you a headstart on your speed. If you can't shred on an LP, then a Jackson-style neck isn't gonna give you any magical speed.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Yeah it's a personal preference, but i like both thick and thin (but i think i prefer thin). The only thing that usually irritates me is if it's has glossed neck but there is some guitar's with glossed neck's i like .
I hate ULTRA thin necks now I like a bit off beef!.. plus chunky necks/guitars sound better!
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
if ultra thin necks were always better, would there be any need for anything other than that?

it's very logical.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Quote by staticoverdub
if ultra thin necks were always better, would there be any need for anything other than that?

it's very logical.

+1, if that were true, les pauls would be crappy. but we all know they aren't.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
+1, if that were true, les pauls would be crappy. but we all know they aren't.

Yes they are

Seriously though, it's preference. Some people swear by thin necks others hate them. It depends on what your used to and in a way it's affected by your hand size too.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
no, thinner is always better without exception
i replaced my ibanez neck with a toothpick because the extra thin on was to darn big.
ive come to love the thickness of fender necks, and the width is perfect.

and ive gotten use to my epi neck but it hurts my hand after extensive barre chording (ska music)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I'm a fan of the late 50s and early 60s style Gibson necks.
The late 50s necks are little thicker and narrower, but not a whole lot.
The 60s necks are idea... flat, pretty thin, and with a fairly wide fretboard.
String spacing for the win!
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
depends on your hands? whatever feels most comfortable to use?

didnt Stevie Ray Vaughan go for a fatter neck because of his big hands
I tend to like thinner necks, but I have played a few thicker ones that felt really nice and fast. If you get a real thin neck you had better make sure its a good piece of wood and a good truss rod and neck joint. Multi-ply may be better on cheaper guitars for stability, or a good hard tight-grained piece of maple. Some all mahogany necks are alright in the budget range but make sure you get a good return policy, especially if they are thin. Counter-warped necks are trouble.
I like the feel of a fender neck, it feels solid in my hand but it doesn't slow me down.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
I like thin necks that don't feel flat, and actually have a curve to it.
That's why I avoid Ibanez necks; They feel like **** to me.
Jackson necks, however, are nice.
Thin, but have some curve to it.
Quote by 1010011010
I like thin necks that don't feel flat, and actually have a curve to it.
That's why I avoid Ibanez necks; They feel like **** to me.
Jackson necks, however, are nice.
Thin, but have some curve to it.

+1
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
I actually really dislike the Ibanez necks also. Would you say the Jackson necks are similar to ESP necks? I did try out a a few Jacksons and I remembered liking the neck, but can't remember just how thin or (not) flat it was.
Quote by fixationdarknes
I actually really dislike the Ibanez necks also. Would you say the Jackson necks are similar to ESP necks? I did try out a a few Jacksons and I remembered liking the neck, but can't remember just how thin or (not) flat it was.

yeah I think there pretty similar to ESP necks there not flat and there not too thin there really fast and comfortable and probs my fav necks though I really love ESP too
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A