So I thought I had this down pretty well, I have been playing about a year and can play crazy train and bark at the moon and some other stuff. But I have noticed that every time i start an alternate picking run or whatever, I always start on an DOWNpick.

Is there anything wrong with this? I feel like some of these fast riffs I do would be a ton easier if I was just able to start on an upstroke after a powerchord you know? Say I hit a D5 powerchord, I jump OVER the low E to start alternate picking 16th notes everytime,

I have a feeling this isnt going to work for so long. Should I start learning how to do songs and stuff with the most effective way to alternate pick?
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
no, i think you have learned economy picking, some people love 'pure' alternate picking, where they have to keep alternating all of the time, while economy isnt as rigid, and you sometimes use downstrokes more

essentially, that is the most effective i think, its basically whatever your preference is, and how comfortable you think you are while playing.

if your playing starts to become affected by it, then look at your picking technique then
John Petrucci would say you should be 'ambipickstrous'. Be able to start a run/lick/riff on both up and down strokes.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Yeah I think im going to start learning to not jump over the strings to start alternate picking again. I really think its limiting.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
I do it different every time. I usually don't notice unless it affects my ability to play the lick (string skipping licks are greatly affected by which stroke you start on).
Quote by Ænimus Prime
John Petrucci would say you should be 'ambipickstrous'. Be able to start a run/lick/riff on both up and down strokes.

Yeah. Alternate picking should be a natural thing, where it shouldn't matter whether you start on a up- or down-stroke, you should be able to play it naturally either way.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.