Poll: can a band portray a message through metal music?
Poll Options
View poll results: can a band portray a message through metal music?
yes
130 97%
no
4 3%
Voters: 134.
Page 1 of 2
this is a question for my english project.
can a metal band still portray a message even though they scream the vocals?
vote yes or no on the poll and post and thoughts u have on the question.
cheers
I don't see why not. People would argue that you can't understand the lyrics, but even for mainstream music you find yourself looking at the lyrics so it's kind of an invalid point.
The more you know, the less you understand.
last.fm
yes thats all music is portraying ur messages, letting the world hear what u got to say, doesnt matter what style of music its all the same, i believe evan instrumentals have a feel to them depending on the title you can feel what the musician is trying to convay
Quote by THE PIT
OMG ZEROHERO UR THE MOST AWESOMEST DUDE EVER

InfeRno" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club

Gear:
sucky squire
Kramer
Dean ML
gnx3 pedal
sucky fender squire amp

:stickpoke
Quote by Insolent
I don't see why not. People would argue that you can't understand the lyrics, but even for mainstream music you find yourself looking at the lyrics so it's kind of an invalid point.

Very very good point.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Errr. a) Not all metal bands scream, b) Listen to black sabbath, it's almost all poetic stuff, symptom of the universe especially c) yes.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
this thread blows, as the question is pretty silly.

a) of course they can
b) lyrics: that's what the booklet's for
c) general aesthetic and presentation are already part of the message
d) the artistic thought that goes into the music is also a message unto itself.

/thread, end of discussion, whatever. Just bury this puppy

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
oi this is a question for an english project, it doesnt matter if its a stupid question i just need an answer and sum evidence to back it up, hence the poll.
my teacher liked the question so im going with it.
but I figure, if you were to do the research seriously, you would listen to some metal bands, look at their lyrics, look at their background, and research some origins behind the lyrics and beliefs [of band members]. You would talk to fans of metal, or something. Either way, this question could be far better worded. In it's current form it is, as I said, is stupid.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
This thread has to of had the dumbest question i have ever heard in my life! Nice one thread starter!
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......?
....\__________.?
Quote by samlocke14
i havent got time for all the reaserch so this is all i have atm.
can u suggest better wording then?

the thing is, it's wrong fundamentally... Because clean, non-screaming vocals do not mean automatic portrayal of a message. In fact quite often it highlights the lack of thereof. (yes I'm aware of exceptions).

It shouldn't even be a question. Rather you could examine maybe, how messages in metal music differ from pop or hip-hop... What types of messages exist, and what is pure entertainment and what is ideological expression etc...

YOu've picked such a massive genre, that you can't look at without in-depth study... If you're doing a project on it at least

EDIT: and GuitarSacrifice is right... It's an idiotic question, but I'm a bit more tolerant than a lot of other users on this forum. This time anyway

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
thanx man thats realy what i needed, i apretiate it.
i know ive picked a huge genre, ive jumped off the deep end a bit so to speak.
im just hoping i can pull it off.
ummmm, Megadeth?
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Yes.
Go listen to Conquer All by Behemoth. Find the lyrics, which also have an explanation of what inspried the song. Watch some interviews where Nergal talks about what Behemoth is all about (there's a pretty good one here on UG). Check out some other songs and their lyrics.
Quote by The Kush
This should be put in the ****ing Bible.

Quote by Våd Hamster
You are an inspiration.

Quote by Blackwaterson89
Listen to TheBlessed Dead. The man is a genius. There should be a man of genius song about him. Stephen Hawking has nothing on TheBlessed Dead.
Most people seem to disagree with me, but I think that in almost all music, the meaning of the lyrics is not important. I've come across very few songs where I have thought that the message it was expressing was particularly deep or meaingful. I think with music, the atmosphere or feeling that a song creates is more important.

A good example I think is Bohemian Rhapsody; as far as I can tell the lyrics are more or less nonsense, but I has a very strong feeling.
Quote by samlocke14
cheers

Of course they can.

That doesnt mean they need to have a message. A lot of times, the lyrics dont need a message. For instance, if you think a band like CC really wants monsters to come out of a girls pussy, your either really ****ed up.... or.... CC is all just black humor. It's the human fascination with morbidity.

And Iron Maiden... They mostly do different historical themes.

Besides, not all metal has to 'scream'.

But anyway, Emenius Sleepus made a very, very good point.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Oct 14, 2007,
Do your homework by yourself.

Or even better, think for yourself.
Member #8 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Not every goddamn essay you kids do has to be on Metal.

You all seem to feel like you have this great big burden to explain this genre to everyone and it's meanings. It's like Lemmy or whoever it was on Headbangers Journey, the great thing about this genre is that mainstream doesn't understand it!

I'm going to leave this open for now. But I think the answer is truly obvious. A lyrical theme/a message apparent in the lyrics will not suddenly change because of the use of vocals. It's only a shallow thing. It's like saying that RATM's political messages are irrelevant because he raps/whatever the lyrics. It's just silly.

Ask your questions while you can (while I'm leaving this open).

if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Quote by samlocke14
cheers

You're ignorant of metal. I understand most of the bands' vocals that I listen to, including Nile. Gojira has a great message, and they scream(literally, not hardcore vocals). Their message has to do with the environment and how we treat it, plus they're awesome as hell.
megadeth there the answer to your question
they right songs a bout politics and play metal music
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
The majority of metal's lifespan has been intelligible vocals and a strong message.

The only genre with stronger messages is punk, and even then it's close.

Show your teacher any Dream Theater, early Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Nevermore, etc.
Dickless.
seriously, some of you guys are really overreacting

sure, the question is self-explanatory but you really don't have to kill that poor lad
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

two words. CHUCK SCHULDINER.

that's all there is to it. there is no explanation needed.
Quote by Kepulix
seriously, some of you guys are really overreacting

sure, the question is self-explanatory but you really don't have to kill that poor lad

That's what I was thinking.

Who's the one person who voted No?
Yes.
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008
You don't need lyrics at all in a song to convey a message, if a songwriter is good enough, at most all he/she needs is a title. Sometimes you can almost feel the songwriters feeling how they felt the time they wrote it, its almost like a transfer of emotion.
Quote by jhardcore
I hope you realize that not all the message of a song is in the lyrics.

+1

Look at the band Red Sparowes. They're an all instrumental Post Metal band, and they make concept albums.

Their music conveys what the title/concept entails. You get it, if you listen hard enough, too.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Dauldi Balders- Burzum. is a concept album. it tells a story

and it's ambient. So yes.
Wenn die Nack einfällt
bedeckt sie die Welt
mit undurchdringlicher Dunkelheit.
Kälte steigt vom boden auf
und verpestet die Luft
plötzlich...
hat das Leben neue
Bedeutung

Burzum "Dunkelheit"
Metal is about the atmosphere of the music, not the lyrics. Growls are meant to be heard as an instrument, not a vessel for words and stories. Good lyrics are just a bonus.
All lyrics should convey a message, unless your some s****y thrash band or a horny rapper
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
i voted no because like omg u cant even understand wut ppl r saying when they yell like that itz just dumb u kno?
there is about a 50/50 split of bands that have something they feel needs to be said and bands that say what they feel others need to hear. this doesn't apply to just metal but to all bands/musicians that write their music.

but a message is a message regardless of its content or delivery.

its entirely up to the individual how to interpret that message.

EDIT: +1 to tehzekester for mentioning Gojira. beautiful band filled with people in a good place in life.

EDIT2:
i voted no because like omg u cant even understand wut ppl r saying when they yell like that itz just dumb u kno?
-thera-x

reminds me of "if a tree falls down in the woods and no one hears it, does it make a sound"

if someone reads you a page of literature in a language you don't understand, does it mean there is no message?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Oct 15, 2007,
Well, for one thing, not all metal bands scream. If they do, well it shouldn't matter, the message should be the same (and is). Some of more high level philosophies come out in metal music, most metal musicians are high level thinkers (beleive it or not). Anyway...stuff.
every band is different when it comes to their approach to lyrics. i rember seeing a mayhem interview where they were describing how black metal bands create a dark atmosphere in their music to relay their lyrics. but in contrast you have bands like cannibl corpse who use horrific lyrics to mesh with the brutality of the music. i think you'll find that every band has a different way of saying what it is they have to say even if it means they dont physically say it.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Page 1 of 2