Hey this is my first question on here, hope i'm in the right place

I'm trying to improve my soloing technique so i can finally do fast licks properly. I naturally do it with my thumb over the neck like when doing open chords. Is this a problem? If it was behind the neck would it be better to play? or does it make no difference and is down to personal preference? (i cant really tell yet because i cant do it that well either way lol)
Dancing In Your Dust
well, it works ok for general pentatonic stuff
and espescially for getting in all the power you can into bends and vibrato

but the "proper" position with having it behind the neck gives you the ability to use a pinky much better
and 4 fingers > 3 fingers for playing fast lixx
if you're into bluesier playing (hendrix, clapton, kings, srv, page) then thumb over the top is the natural way and the best position you can use for that type of playing.

satriani, vai, petrucci, all that more shred orientated stuff, you need to be able to use the thumb on the back of the neck so you can use your pinky.

best advice, be able to do both well.
Quote by Owned
if you're into bluesier playing (hendrix, clapton, kings, srv, page) then thumb over the top is the natural way and the best position you can use for that type of playing.

satriani, vai, petrucci, all that more shred orientated stuff, you need to be able to use the thumb on the back of the neck so you can use your pinky.

best advice, be able to do both well.

u can't limit anything man. i can use my pinky with my thumb over the top. but i wouldn't say thumb over the neck is the BEST for bluesy playing. i know most blues guitarists do that, like me, but i just find it comfortable. i've seen blues players with the thumb behind the neck.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
really? i don't think i ever have.

i'm not saying 100% of shreddy music requires the thumb on the back of the neck but you can be guaranteed somewhere on vai's, satriani's, or whatever shredders album, there's gonna be a time when you need to be able to.

how many srv licks do you need to have the thumb on the back? not many.
If you've got really long fingers you'll probably be able to shred with thumb over neck too. See Paul Gilbert. His pinky is scary long.