hi guys I'm totally new to the world of guitars and guitar equipment I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction. my brother bought me an electric guitar recently and I need an amp and really don't know what to get or what works well with my guitar.

My guitar is a Vigier Excalibur
I have £300 for an amp thats about $600 usd
I am going to be using the guitar to practice, nothing else

Any info would be much appreciated. thanks in advance
What styles of music do you play?
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
I don't play yet just started learning. but i think that i am going to be playing blues or jazz
In that case I'd look into a Laney VC15.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
these would both be great options (best bang for your buck):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Jr.-NOS-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Lacquer-Tweed-with-Jensen-Speakers?sku=483711

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC15CC1-Custom-Classic-1x12-Tube-Amp?sku=482625

I own the first of those two (the Fender), and I can HIGHLY recommend it. Wonderful, sweet tone, which can be cranked to get a nice vintage overdrive. Amazing for the price.

EDIT: Btw, those are both "Tube" amps, which is what you'll want to look for in your amp purchase for sure. Tube amps have an indisputably warmer, organic sound than solid state amps. Just a pointer.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Last edited by FlamingYouth at Oct 14, 2007,
Nope. At least both of the ones I recommended are combos (meaning they have the speaker built in).
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
no you shouldn't

Marshall makes good all around amps but have a warmer clean tone. you won't get that really bright tone from the amp atleast.

they tend to run quite expensive though.
myspace.com/crystalignition
Laney VC-15 ftw
I haven't had the fortune to try out a Vox AC, but from what I've gathered, the AC30 is far superior to the 15 tone-wise.
Only thing is I'm not sure that you'll need all that volume if you're just practicing...do you see yourself gigging in the future?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^Valid concern. You might want to get a practice amp first before shelling out that much money on an amp. A good practice amp will always be a good practice amp, even if you decide later that you need more power for gigs. Stay away from MG's and Spiders.