Page 1 of 2
hey guys.

I was just thinking, would you rather play all originals, or play mostly originals with a few covers.

I figure that a lot of people are afraid of originals because the covers are better than their own songs. your thoughts?
I think a few covers are good- they show your influences, and because your fans know the words you can get them involved.
Just not ALL covers- original songs are good too.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
couple covers in it are always cool, people know those better
my band covers Agnostic Front - Friend or Foe & SSD - Boiling Point
en we did songs like Minor Threat, Good Intentions and Step Down
All originals for an album. A few covers for live shows. You can't do a live show without at least one cover.
And that's what I wanted to hear.

Why are people so afraid of covers.

Unfortunately, the kittens do loads.

We do Situations, Eighteen, I love to boogie, Children of the Revolution (the guitar solo I do in that is stellar), Who are the Mystery Girls and Little Willy.
Quote by Zardokk
All originals for an album. A few covers for live shows. You can't do a live show without at least one cover.

Well, you CAN...when you have enough good material to last the whole show.

But if you're doing an album, it's best to have all originals. Covers will just seem like filler and won't get much attention from everyone outside the band.
Covers are always fun because usually it's something the audience knows well and can sing along to.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
And that's what I wanted to hear.

Why are people so afraid of covers.

Unfortunately, the kittens do loads.

We do Situations, Eighteen, I love to boogie, Children of the Revolution (the guitar solo I do in that is stellar), Who are the Mystery Girls and Little Willy.

Nice choice of covers, gotta love a bit of T-rex

'I love to boogie, on a Saturday night'
T-rex are awesome!
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
I would say mostly originals with a few covers, preferably if the covers fit the sound of originals.
I like playing all originals. I don't mind playing covers, but I love writing and creating new music.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by cloudy_skies
Well, you CAN...when you have enough good material to last the whole show.

But if you're doing an album, it's best to have all originals. Covers will just seem like filler and won't get much attention from everyone outside the band.

The thing is...if you're a small band, the audience probably doesn't know your songs. I dunno if you've ever seen this before, but when you play a song at a punk show that everyone knows, it gets crazy. Singing, dancing, and moshing break out. The crowd loves to hear something they actually know. They get way more into the music.

But like I said...on an album...covers are just a waste of space. Typically, the cover's not as good as the original, and it usually seems kind of out of place. Although I'm sure there are some situations where this isn't true.
Quote by Zardokk
The thing is...if you're a small band, the audience probably doesn't know your songs. I dunno if you've ever seen this before, but when you play a song at a punk show that everyone knows, it gets crazy. Singing, dancing, and moshing break out. The crowd loves to hear something they actually know. They get way more into the music.

But like I said...on an album...covers are just a waste of space. Typically, the cover's not as good as the original, and it usually seems kind of out of place. Although I'm sure there are some situations where this isn't true.

The Clash + Johnny Thunders
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
my friends band even though they have more than enough songs to fill a set through in a couple rage covers

also if you are good buds with another local band try doing a cover together or with a guest singer my friends bands annihalation messiah and Inque did that when they covered laid to rest by lambof god it was also a cool way to go inbetween sets
let kids run up and sing when you do covers that always makes things more fun
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
I think covers are healthy when your a in a local band it'll get the crowd more involved
founder of the MXPX group, pm me to join

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!!!!!

Wii number: 7054 3894 4223 2011
Quote by GreenDayChris
Nice choice of covers, gotta love a bit of T-rex

'I love to boogie, on a Saturday night'
T-rex are awesome!

"Janey lost her cherry walkin' all the way home"

Best line of a song. ever.

(You have to bear in mind that this was the 70's, and girls of 8 and upward were obsessed with Marc Bolan. bad influence, anyone?
^ Are you saying the Unseen cover T-Rex, or asking if Brian is covering the Unseen? Cause I think I'd **** myself if the Unseen covered T-Rex. But "Knowing" Brian, if the Unseen have a song called Children of the Revolution, I would assume he's playing the T-Rex version. I would hope it is at least.

I think covers are really fun. I love hearing one band's interpretation of another's song. And I don't even mind them on albums, as long as they fit the mood.

My band does one or two covers each set. Spaced apart, of course, so as to show case our originals.
DOWN&OUT
my opinions:

t-rex pwns. but doesn't pwn as hard as bowie.

covers are fun, as long as it isn't freebird.

originals are more important than having fun though.
Quote by original=punk
my opinions:

t-rex pwns. but doesn't pwn as hard as bowie.

covers are fun, as long as it isn't freebird.

originals are more important than having fun though.

Well of course not! No one pwns as hard as Bowie.

Speaking of Bowie and covers, he does exceptional Velvet Underground covers. They make me really happy. White Light/White Heat and Waiting for the Man. In my opinion, he's the only man who could play as well as the Velvet Underground did originally.
DOWN&OUT
I could be horribly wrong, but i always thought of it like this: The crowd wants to hear THEIR favorite song, and probably doesn't care much about any originals, so you should start of with mostley covers (maybe 2 or 3 originals), get a few regular fans, and just start working in your originals maybe 2 at a time after you've made a small name for yourself.
I'd like to hear roky erikson's version of "Heroin".

I hear it's really good.

Bowie's version of waiting for the man is fantastic, I have some live footage, which is really well delivered.

I haven'y heard Bowie's version of white light, but it must surely be better than the slaughter version.
The best way to go is to play covers by bands that almost nobody listens to. That way, you don't have to write original material, people think the song is cool, and people who know the band will appreciate the song even more than people who don't know it.

Also if you cover a song like "Holiday In Cambodia" you better do a damn good job because we will all know when you screw up. And we will all give you **** for it.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by axeslash
The best way to go is to play covers by bands that almost nobody listens to. That way, you don't have to write original material, people think the song is cool, and people who know the band will appreciate the song even more than people who don't know it.

Also if you cover a song like "Holiday In Cambodia" you better do a damn good job because we will all know when you screw up. And we will all give you **** for it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MJ1Af7SQVng

Yeah, exactly
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by GreenDayChris
Mostly originals with a couple of covers

that is what we do....and it works

the best pogo mood is when we play Blitzkrieg Bop and furthermore we cover some german punk songs which are really good to make the room burn, but at least 2/3 of our programm are our own stuff
Quote by lavazza
that is what we do....and it works

the best pogo mood is when we play Blitzkrieg Bop and furthermore we cover some german punk songs which are really good to make the room burn, but at least 2/3 of our programm are our own stuff

My band covers a John Mayer song

*Runs*
Nice one.
To be fair though, I do play in a kind of indie/blues/funk band, and our name does come from a Mayer song.
It's actually kinda fun to play tbh. And I do like our original material.
Covers are fun. My band has loads, but we only play 1 or 2 a show.

Dinosaur Jr. - Freak Scene
Camper Von Beethoven - Take the Skinheads Bowling
Husker Du - Girl Who Lives on Heaven Hill
The Replacements - Customer
Screeching Weasel - Hey Suburbia

We're working on punxing up "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by I_Pwn
Covers are fun. My band has loads, but we only play 1 or 2 a show.

Dinosaur Jr. - Freak Scene
Camper Von Beethoven - Take the Skinheads Bowling
Husker Du - Girl Who Lives on Heaven Hill
The Replacements - Customer
Screeching Weasel - Hey Suburbia

We're working on punxing up "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"

Punxing up songs is always good. I've always wanted to do an album of bizarre 80s pop song covers, but punx.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by lavazza
^yeah....of course....you won´t belive it but I play in a pop-band, it was in a time when I did not have my own band and I just wanted to play guitar, so I understand it (furthermore I play Bass in a big band)

Big band stuff is uber cool though.
Specially if that's an upright bass you're rockin'. Still cool otherwise.
Quote by GreenDayChris
Big band stuff is uber cool though.
Specially if that's an upright bass you're rockin'. Still cool otherwise.

Big band is not that great, when the drummer is always missing and you have a posaunist who has a fetish for rhythm and hates everyone
Quote by original=punk
i try to stay away from punxing up songs, its so cliche.

I think it really depends. If a band does it sarcastically, then obviously it sucks. And if a band takes it and just plays it as fast and loud as possible, it sucks then as well. It's a matter of a band putting it into their style. My band is a melodic indie-punk-whatever band, so doing a beatles song a tad bit faster and with distorted guitars sounds good.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by I_Pwn
I think it really depends. If a band does it sarcastically, then obviously it sucks. And if a band takes it and just plays it as fast and loud as possible, it sucks then as well. It's a matter of a band putting it into their style. My band is a melodic indie-punk-whatever band, so doing a beatles song a tad bit faster and with distorted guitars sounds good.

You know, I definitely agree with that! I heard a local ska band try to pull off a Beatles song one time, and it was atrocious. I mean horrible. I wasn't sure if they were mocking it or just playing it FASTERLOUDER but it was bad. However, they easily could have played it well without making it as intense and as fast as possible ska punk. There's a fine line, me says.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
You know, I definitely agree with that! I heard a local ska band try to pull off a Beatles song one time, and it was atrocious. I mean horrible. I wasn't sure if they were mocking it or just playing it FASTERLOUDER but it was bad. However, they easily could have played it well without making it as intense and as fast as possible ska punk. There's a fine line, me says.
A ska band could probably get away with Yellow Submarine.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by I_Pwn

true, my band has been thinking aobut doing an old 60s cover song, but we dunno what one to do.
Page 1 of 2