I'm gonna buy a new amp soon and I´m deciding now to get it faster, i want the fall of troy/as i lay dying type of tone, i have been told that i can get it with both but i can't decide. So thanks in advance for the ones who help
Quote by Ht666
If ya' get a 5150, you won't need a 4x12 cab

Actually, that depends on if he gets the combo amp or the head.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
The F series all come in combo form too, so I don't really understand your point, ht666.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Last edited by Inspired_by_Vai at Oct 14, 2007,
a F-50 combo amp or a peavey 5150 head with a 4x12 cab for playing as i lay dying/the fall of troy tone
The peavey wins hands down for what you want. Get the 5150/6505 and a 2nd hand marshall cab. Dont get a Peavey 5150/6505 cab coz there s**t for heavy stuff.
Quote by Telepath
whats the dif between the peavey 5150 and the 6505?
The name.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
The 5150 is just the older version - it's just as good.

I'm saving for a used 5150 right now.
Quote by jscustomguitars
The peavey wins hands down for what you want. Get the 5150/6505 and a 2nd hand marshall cab. Dont get a Peavey 5150/6505 cab coz there s**t for heavy stuff.

Have you ever played the F-50?

I own both, and coming from someone that owns both, the Mesa is a much better sounding amp (imo)
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i haven't played neither one of those, i live in mexico and own a PO box in TX so, i buy online stuff and pick em up later because in mexico there are music stores but they dont handle mesa boogie
Asking if you'd ever played the F-50 was directed toward jscustom.

I'll try my best at a review...

The 5150 has loads of gain, but can be quite harsh sounding. It's a very middy amp, which can be good or bad, for me it's good cause I like my mids. It's only two channels, the first channel or "rhythm" channel CAN get decent cleans, but usually this requires either a tube change or a chorus pedal over the channel. The Rhythm channel can still get quite a bit of gain when turned up and also has a bright switch and crunch switch. The second channel is your lead channel and as said before, can sound a bit harsh, however, the 5150 II is a bit more smooth sounding. This channel has plenty of gain for anything you'd ever want to play.

I own a F-30, so it runs on EL-34s instead of the 6L6s in the F-50, but it's essentially the same. The clean channel on the amp is probably the best I've heard from a Mesa amp, can get fairly "sparkly" or "dark," I myself prefer the more darker sound, but that's all preference. The lead channel is great, but I don't find any use for it with the contour switch not engaged, so it's always on. The gain on this channel is (imo) very smooth and liquidy sounding, not fizzy at all like the 5150 can get and notes are more defined.

I'd advise you to try to try both if you can, as a lot of people prefer the 5150 over the F-50 and the other way around.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd say the Mesa is the better amp of the two, Mesa's generally have a pretty nice tone.
I only played the 5150 II head I think it was? Didn't sound very good, plenty of gain though.