Queen Elizabeth II was in Lichfield on Friday. Theres this massive new monument in Alrewas (about 5 miles from me) at the national arboretum. I think its great that our soldiers are finally getting a big monument in England worthy of celebration. Also on armistice day a beam of light will hit the centre of the stone circle in the middle of the monement. The names have been hand carved. I, personally, think this is a great idea. It is amazingly respectful and i'm sure our soldiers would be proud of it.

Link:http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=487278&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

Discuss.
I know it's incredibly old-fashioned, but I'm such a royalist.

I saw about the memorial on the news. Hand-carved, Jesus.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
A memorial?
Great...

Why didn't they spend that money on grossly-needed equipment that can actually help the soldiers now?
Quote by Retro Rocker
A memorial?
Whoop-de-fucking-do.

Why didn't they spend that money on grossly-needed equipment that can actually help the soldiers?

Because that wouldn't be patriotic enough.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I saw her when she came to open the city's new library. the security level was stupid though. Gunmen on the roof, security guards and closing half the roads off; all this on a tuesday morning. It took me half an hour to take my book back.