I want to connect my amplifier to my computer directly, so I don't have to buy an expensive microphone to get okay sound quality. Can I just run a cable from my amp line our or effect unit line out to my computer, or do I need something like this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Line-6-TonePort-GX-USB-Recording-Interface?full_sku=104484647

I don't want to just try connecting my amp to my computer without knowing its ok. I don't want my computer to blow up or anything:p
WTLTL 2011
Yes, you can just plug it directly into your soundcard, but the quality won't be as good as it would be if you plugged it into the interface. Plugging directly into your soundcard also means that you have to set the volume on the amp just right or their will be loads of clipping on the recording (which adjusting this really isn't a big deal if its a SS amp, is a bigger deal for a tube amp though because you won't be able to play it loud to get the tubes saturated). I'm not sure how the TonePort works since I've never used one, but it should have some sort of volume control.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yea you can connect it straight to your computer through the line out, just plug the other end of the lead into the microphone slot
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Quote by Mark G
I have the B-52 tube amp, if this makes a difference.

Yes, deffinately get an interface of some sort then. Directly plugging it into your computer won't do that amp justice.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
it will sound ok if you EQ it right and put some reverb on it, but remmeber that it wont sound the same as when you are just playing the amp because the speaker is pretty important to tone and you won't have that.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I suggest the toneport UX1 over the smaller unit you are looking at there simply because it has an XLR jack for mics and you can monitor with the UX1 but not the GX...with the GX you would need to rig a Y cord to get some headphones into the line.