i want to take my epiphone zakk wylde bullseye guitar and sand the paint off it. i was told that it was mahogany, anyone know for sure?
probably a far east mahogany substiute they say is mahogany. Coz its a solid finish the wood will more than likely have nasty grain with imperfections and knots. In the far east often use the bad looking wood for solid finishs to reduce waste and keep the price down.
The finish Epiphone use is much harder to strip than Gibbo's nitro-cellulose so it'll be a bitch to strip down. Your takin quite a risk but its up to you. Might look nice, might be TERRIBLE !
yeah man, id rather just get another guitar, or sell ur bullseye, its a nice guitar man
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
yeah dude. why are you stripping teh finish of a guitar you bought for tah finish?

you would have bought a ESP eclipse 500 if you wanted good woods and pickups
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ldnovelo
yeah dude. why are you stripping teh finish of a guitar you bought for tah finish?

you would have bought a ESP eclipse 500 if you wanted good woods and pickups

i bought the guitar off a friend who bought it new, had it for 2 months, got tired of it and needed money. i bought with the plan of making a project out of it. 50 bucks was a steal on this thing. i hate the bulls eye, its zakks thing, not mine.
Why did you delete the other thread you made just like this only to restart it? Didn't like the replies? You'll get the same ones no matter how many times you restart it.
Quote by eXperiment63
Why did you delete the other thread you made just like this only to restart it? Didn't like the replies? You'll get the same ones no matter how many times you restart it.

i deleted it because i asked about what type of wood it was, not why i wanted to sand it down. it got off topic. there were 10 replies, and not a single one had anything to do with the original question, which was what type of wood it was.
on the epi the bulls eye is a sticker not paint so it wouldnt work...just keep it and deal w. it or sell it b.c ur gonna mess up a great guitar if u strip it
The Zakk Wylde signature is a full mahogany body with a maple top, and the neck is also made of maple.

You could have found this out just by going to the Epiphone website...
if you got it for 50 bucks sell it for $450... full profits... and then buy an Agile or a new Epi
if it has the maple neck+maple frets, I think this would be a cool idea.

I don't see any problems arising from stripping the paint....

I'd repaint it white, white LP's with a maple fretboard look sexy.
and you got it for $50! thats amazing!
don't strip it down-i will buy this thing from you if you are just going to do that, or i could get you an epiphone thats not a bullseye. Let me know if you want to sell it.
Why is everyone against him doing it? Its his guitar he can re-paint it if he wants. The ZW models are some of Epiphones finest les pauls so selling this one to buy another Epiphone would be stupid.

TS: I think its a sticker over the wood so you may have to use a heatgun to soften the glue under the pattern. Try and be very gentle with it to avoid burning the wood or damaging the neck/fretboard. Once thats off its really just a matter or getting the residue of glue that will no dout still be on the body off. Prime it and then paint it.

Yes it is mahogany

PSN ID: ArranP
Last edited by apmaman at Oct 15, 2007,