Personally, I only use one or two fingers, depending on the situation. Watching Guthrie Govan, he seems to use 3 in places. Would it be a good idea to start doing this?

Also, any advice how to get some really wide (Zakk Wylde wide) vibrato with bent notes? Because I can't seem to get some really squealing vibrato (such as Wylde or Gilbert can get) without the bend going out of pitch.
Quote by J.A.M

Also, any advice how to get some really wide (Zakk Wylde wide) vibrato with bent notes? Because I can't seem to get some really squealing vibrato (such as Wylde or Gilbert can get) without the bend going out of pitch.

he uses pinch harmonics
Woah, I never noticed >_>

No, I'm talking about his left hand when he pulls them off. I can do pinch harmonics to a fair degree, but I'm talking about vibrato like this.
It really depends. I don't go out of my way on the fretboard to get 3 fingers to vibrato or bend all the time. If permitting, do it. Also, a lot of the sound that Gilbert and Wylde get are just a function of great tone. If you're having trouble of the bend going out of key, just keep practicing and playing around with the bend until you can keep it in key or can isolate the notes you want within the bend. Sometimes taking it out of key can add an interesting dynamic, so don't be key nazi. Pinch harmonics help on some of the really high squeels too.
I've always been doing the standard "rock" vibrato (with my 'vibrato'-ing finger unassisted by any other fingers), but I quite recently I've gotten into Vai's circle vibrato technique and I'm working on it.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
i tend to just do that bb king style of vibrato where u just anchor a finger to the fretboard and twist your forearm.

bending vibrato i haven't quite mastered as well as i'd like it to be. i'm still practicing that vigorously. but for simple bends i tend to assist the fretted finger by playing a 2nd finger behind it.
i love the satch style stuff - he uses the circular vibrato like vai too, which i cant get.. :[ how satch does it most of the time is he has an intended length for the note, and starts out with it flat, as in no vibrato, for half the time (i.e. the vibrato is a quarter note, leave it flat for an eighth). he very narrowly vibratos and builds up to maybe a 1/4 or 1/2 tone vibrato by the end of it. very cool effect, even for harder stuff.
Gear List:
Jackson DKMG Dinky Cobalt-Blue
Washburn EA8B Cutaway
Line 6 Spider II 112
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Boss RC20-XL Looper Station
Quote by Hadeed
i tend to just do that bb king style of vibrato where u just anchor a finger to the fretboard and twist your forearm.

bending vibrato i haven't quite mastered as well as i'd like it to be. i'm still practicing that vigorously. but for simple bends i tend to assist the fretted finger by playing a 2nd finger behind it.

Yeah, thats the kind of vibrato I do, but I'm working on making it wider and more "metal".

Hmm, I think I'll look into circle vibrato.
i do a lot of kinds. i do the BB king way, i do the one finger rock way, i do the three finger blues way for wider virbrato or slower, i do the clapton way(index finger moves up and down and the hand is floating), i do the classical side to side way, and i do virbrato with bends...which im actually quite good at.

the only one i dont do is circle virbrato. mostly cuz i just dont get how its done.
ive finally pretty much perfected my vibrato technique i just shake my wrist not my fingers and can get fast vibrato with good control

and light guage strings help too, like a set of .009s
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
When I started out playing guitar, I listened to alot of Angus Young. I absorbed his vibrato, and I've been playing a fast vibrato since.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
i soaked in a lot of dimebags style. i like to think i have a pretty good controlled vibrato
String Bending Exercise Time!

| H H | Q Q Q Q | E E E E E E E E | W |

start on the original note and just alternate between the original and the bent note.

But- Only pick the second half note, the 1st and 3rd quarter notes, the first and fifth eighth notes and the whole note. Picking the target notes gets you a sense of the pitch of it.

For example,

| pB pC# | pB bC# pB bC# | pB bC# rB bC# pB bC# rB bC# | pB ~~|

(p = pick, b = bend to, r = release to)

Now do this for every string, every fret, and the usual intervals (1/2 step, whole step, 1_1/2 step, and 2 steps if you're feeling macho.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by kyrreca
Does anyone know where to find any lessons on that "circular vibrato"?

Steve Vai's website. Search for it over there.
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Quote by J.A.M
Woah, I never noticed >_>

No, I'm talking about his left hand when he pulls them off. I can do pinch harmonics to a fair degree, but I'm talking about vibrato like this.

Kinda off topic.....anyone know what ibanez gilbert is playing in this video? I have never seen that switch in that position of any ibanez hollow body before.

Back on topic now.... Most of my vibratos are a very fast large sound. I tend to take my palm off the back of the neck turn my hand to the point where it is almost pointing down, but not really "down." I tend to get a lot of speed when I do so. It really mostly depends on what I am playing though..... so I suppose no set standard.
I usually vibrato pinch harmonics. I use just one finger most of the time, either index or middle, and i vibrate my whole arm giving it a rather intense vibration. Works well for metal stuff.
Uh, guys, I have this DVD of Greg Howe where is playing in a four-piece jazz band, and I've noticed that he uses this weird vibrato technique where he plays a note and then slides up and down to the neighbouring frets. Can anyone tell me what vibrato technique this is, as well as some links to lessons relating to this technique?
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
String Bending Exercise Time!

| H H | Q Q Q Q | E E E E E E E E | W |

start on the original note and just alternate between the original and the bent note.

But- Only pick the second half note, the 1st and 3rd quarter notes, the first and fifth eighth notes and the whole note. Picking the target notes gets you a sense of the pitch of it.

For example,

| pB pC# | pB bC# pB bC# | pB bC# rB bC# pB bC# rB bC# | pB ~~|

(p = pick, b = bend to, r = release to)

Now do this for every string, every fret, and the usual intervals (1/2 step, whole step, 1_1/2 step, and 2 steps if you're feeling macho.

If this is referring to me, I can do that. My bends are in tune until I apply vibrato to them.

Practise more, I guess..
I never use reinforced bends when i vib. mine are usualy wide as **** and sometimes i just use my whammy bar for a different sound.
If you can use 3 fingers when you vibrato, I recommend it. It will help keep your vibrato more steady and less likely to go out of tune.

If you are going for a real wide vibrato, make sure it is in tune and even, I.E. the string moves up just as much as it moves down.
Orange Rockerverb 100 + Orange PPC412
Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Fender Road Worn Player's Telecaster