Alright, I'm new to UG and all, but here it goes:

I would like to start by saying that I am a newbie when it comes to playing. I have been playing guitar and bass for 1 year now and a slow learner, but that's not important:

Okay, I got this friend that is playing guitar. No, he lives the guitar. I mean, I don't want to brag or anything...but he IS extremely good at guitar. And I really do mean extremely good. He's the kind of guy that just gets music with no problem. He can look at the tab for some Hendrix/Satriani/etc and just play it right off. I remember one day when after gymclass, I told him that I had listened to Satrianis "Midnight" and asked if he could play it. He says no. The next day we meet up in the morning at school he brings a acoustic guitar and plays "Midnight" right off. He's simply put, amazing.

Now, to sum up the pre-situation stuff: 3 months ago he asks me to join his band, a serious band, recording with studio stuff and everything. He asks me to play bass. Audition, and I'm in. Practice 3 times minimum a week and most of the time 4-5 nights a week. It's a good band, with skilled musicians.

Blablabla, the situation:

After having made 5 songs with the band since I joined, I have noticed one thing: This friend of mine has the biggest music-ego I've ever seen. He brings all the riffs to practice, he tells everyone what to play and when to play it. He's even said to me that "it's my band". Don't get me wrong here, I mean, I admire him for being so dedicated and into the music and everything, he always brings new material and has a musical mind that's probably classified as genius.

But, the problem is his ego. He sits in our practices and just acts like it's his band. All the time. He always says he has a clear vision in his mind of how he want our songs to sound. This doesn't seem to bother the two others, but it bothers me terribly. So, I'm a beginner, he tells me what to play and that's fine, because it's not boring to play the songs. But whenever I have an idea for anything, he either laughs at me or tells me "that's too simple" "you're only playing ****". Either that or he does loud sigh whenever I come with a suggestion. He is just so disrespectful, and the things is I don't think I can argue with him over music because he always proves me wrong and always come up with better stuff.

I don't get his problem, he seems to think it's his bloody soloproject and not a band. For me a band is where everyone is contributing, but here it's like his band and his alone, everyone else is just there to make backingtracks for his solo's. The annoying thing is, noone speaks up to him, not because they're feared physically, but they know he can overmaster them musically. It's so annoying to say the least. I've only been in the band for 3 months and already feel like it sucks; just because of him.

He is really a nice guy, and we can hang out and be very good friends, but whenever (and I do mean whenever) music comes into picture, he goes ago-centric and just goes into his world where he is king of everyone.

A couple of weeks ago, we started jamming with a new band, playing easy metal riffs that them others think is advanced. And here it just turns from riddiculous to puke-level. He always solo'es for 10 minutes, to show his "leet skillz". Does stupid stuff like playing behind his back and all, just to show off. But not enough with that, he always pick at me whenever I say something concerning songs, saying stuff like "you're playing bass, just play what you want", and he completely ignores me (a longtime friend) and ask this new guy that is play rythm guitar if he has any ideas. I mean...what the hell...is the bass nothing?

Very easily put together, and probably alot of vent, but this is a mystery I need to solve, I don't wanna quit a band just because of this. Help, please, suggestions, whatever.
Last edited by Strati at Oct 14, 2007,
Bass is the best instrument in a band.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
He doesn't seem to get that, he's always..."bass is rythm, the end, nothing else". I mean I know the bass-role, but in his world it's all about the guitars. All about them. He even goes saying "hey, if you can't make it to practice we'll record the bass with cubase", he just makes you feel so unneeded and sometimes you just sit doing nothing in practice sessions.
Last edited by Strati at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by Strati
He doesn't seem to get that, he's always..."bass is rythm, the end, nothing else"

Then he really knows jackshit about music. Talk to him about it though. Or show him this thread once it's grown to 3 or 4 pages.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
just take time writing something way better than what he told you to play. then, surprise him. see what happens.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by Strati
He doesn't seem to get that, he's always..."bass is rythm, the end, nothing else". I mean I know the bass-role, but in his world it's all about the guitars. All about them. He even goes saying "hey, if you can't make it to practice we'll record the bass with cubase", he just makes you feel so unneeded and sometimes you just sit doing nothing in practice sessions.

Yeah, rhythm is pretty damn important in a band.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
I'd say a song with a good bass line is a far better song with a good lead guitar part, if you had to choose between the two. Find a better band, or really work at your bass parts and deal with him that way, if you want to stay with your current band.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Quote by Strati

Ha he's using cubase? The bass on there sounds ****. And the programme generally isn't that good. He should know that. He doesn't sound that knowledgable about music if he thinks bass is so unimportant anyway.

Bass can be more important than guitar. Practice a lot, and then whenever he starts soloing, pull out an awesome bass solo. Or start a rival band who aren't so technically interesting but easy on the ears. You'll be more successful than him. (This is not selling out. Not quite.)
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Bass is vital to the rythm, flow, feel and most important SOUND of the entire band. My advice is to tell him that you can't try out the things you really want to in a band and your finding the whole experience to constricted. If he offers to let you try more things you want out then problems solved if he doesn't then say that you need to move on musicaly and leave.
you really have to talk to him, let him know that you are all in this together, and tell him that you are a beginner, so you are not the best when it comes to music, but you are willing to practice a lot and therefore your commitment should be respected by him.
i recon bass is just as, if not more important than guitar, just tell him to stop being a tw@ and listen to you for once
Jackson RR3
ESP LTD MH-250NT (EMG 81-85)
Peavey Valveking 100 Head
Harley Benton Cabnet
Blackstar Distx Valve Distortion
Boss DD3
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss Noise-Gate
A Member Of The Jackson Players Group
lol, I have the same problem, except both of us play guitar. Skill wise we are about the same, but when we "practise" its more like "get everything perfect within the 1-3 time through". His ego gets annoying...
I'd say just come up to him. Next time he does that, just tell him that you realize you are not as good as him (if you feel that way, I don't know you or how well you play, so I'm not one to judge), but that doesn't mean you have no right to contribute to the band. Kindly explain to him a band is a team, not a one-man show.

It sounds to me that his problem is thinking he is a superior musician, and thus feeling the need to take it upon himself to dictate the band and whatnot.
I am pretty torn up on the part of leaving the band. I am extremely lucky to be in it in the first place, and I don't want to be seen as a complaining jackass for wanting to change the sound abit, because...there's alot of better bassplayers out there, and if I say I will leave it doesn't seem like anyone will really care about it. I just don't get why he invited me to join if he's basically just want me to play what he think is good, he could aswell play it himself. I think the cubase thing was abit of a light-hearted joke but it's the thing that he just said it like that. Being ina band where I'm not seen as important to the contribution doesn't intrest me.
Your not as skilled as him, why should he let you contribute and make it not as good as if you did what he wanted?

and for all you that says bass is the most important, nah, ive seen bands with guitar and drums but ive never really seen just bass and drums or something..
Dude leave the band.If he is going to be a smart ass and diss you like that,just leave cause there is a person just like I know and his band left him and now he is a head without a body.To tell you the truth most musicans that are like that ,they leave there bands mates to start a solo project and the band is nowhere to be found so what i'm saying don't be one of them. *Cough* sting and the police*Cough*
Quote by DeadMeadow
Your not as skilled as him, why should he let you contribute and make it not as good as if you did what he wanted?

and for all you that says bass is the most important, nah, ive seen bands with guitar and drums but ive never really seen just bass and drums or something..

Loads of stuff that is not rock music uses just bass and drums.
Own a PS3?
Add me: ILOVECHICKEN
Quote by meh...
you really have to talk to him, let him know that you are all in this together, and tell him that you are a beginner, so you are not the best when it comes to music, but you are willing to practice a lot and therefore your commitment should be respected by him.

*Breaks out into perfectly coreographed song and dance*
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
I don't see where the problem is. Lots of bands are like this.. The Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Led Zeppelin, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Tom Waits, Frank Zappa, etc.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
The problem is that I, on some level, like to contribute some of my own style to the band, not mindlessly follow one guy that think he is way better than everyone else, playing his riffs all over again without any personal touch. I don't want to become a person relying on another person, and then when he goes off for soloprojects, I'm left alone with nothing because he was too ego to let me in.
Quote by Strati
The problem is that I, on some level, like to contribute some of my own style to the band, not mindlessly follow one guy that think he is way better than everyone else, playing his riffs all over again without any personal touch. I don't want to become a person relying on another person, and then when he goes off for soloprojects, I'm left alone with nothing because he was too ego to let me in.

So... Quit the band. It's not that hard of a decision. Though, I think he should let you have more input, some people just won't. Some people prefer to have all the control, but like it or not, you're not going to get it. I don't necessarily see a problem with this, as almost every band in the world has a creative leader.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by DeadMeadow

ever heard of drum and bass music? ha
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
Quote by Retro Rocker

lol +1

Quote by Velvet_Craig
I'd say a song with a good bass line is a far better song with a good lead guitar part, if you had to choose between the two. Find a better band, or really work at your bass parts and deal with him that way, if you want to stay with your current band.

^and tell him this-the first part anyway and sadly i agree with that, a puncy bassline can sound much better than a 'rad' lead guitar line, well not always. But just practise and practise bass using tabs off here for instance, and u will show this bastard of a freind.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by figsandbobo
*Breaks out into perfectly coreographed song and dance*

lol!!! (high school musical is so cool)
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by DeadMeadow

Death From Above 1979, Lightning Bolt, etc.,

Honestly, he probably doesn't want a more skilled bass player because he knows that you're not the best of the best, therefore you'll be easier to control since you're still a n00b. If you still wanna be in this guy's band, just talk to him next time he makes a dickish condescending comment about the bass.
Kinda put it forward slowly today on practice. Mostly joking about his big-ego (in a serious fashion though), and saying to the others in the band that he was so ego he always needed solos (when he was there, once again, serious fashion joke). I also complained about this boring bassline for a song that makes him solo trough it (it's a instrumental psycho-song), and said rather nicely that I didn't want to play the same crap trough the entire song...when he shouts out "Ofcourse you will". I am just so sick of him. It's not like "talking to him" about it makes any difference. I mean, this morning when we met up and I asked him to stop doing all these solos taking away practice-time (when I was talking about our evening-practice), and yet he sits there doing this crap with the guitar. I just don't get him, as soon as he doesn't get what he wants, as soon as someone, which is ONLY me since everyone is like "ooooh...omg guitargod, take us to success, tell us what to play, ooooooh", as soon as I say something about his riffs, or if I present this riff I've made, that is an easy one, but extremely boring for HIM, he cranks up the volume and starts to co** around with the guitar. I mean what the hell.
Last edited by Strati at Oct 15, 2007,
If you liked jamming with that other band, join the other band.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by Strati
Kinda put it forward slowly today on practice. Mostly joking about his big-ego (in a serious fashion though), and saying to the others in the band that he was so ego he always needed solos (when he was there, once again, serious fashion joke). I also complained about this boring bassline for a song that makes him solo trough it (it's a instrumental psycho-song), and said rather nicely that I didn't want to play the same crap trough the entire song...when he shouts out "Ofcourse you will". I am just so sick of him. It's not like "talking to him" about it makes any difference. I mean, this morning when we met up and I asked him to stop doing all these solos taking away practice-time (when I was talking about our evening-practice), and yet he sits there doing this crap with the guitar. I just don't get him, as soon as he doesn't get what he wants, as soon as someone, which is ONLY me since everyone is like "ooooh...omg guitargod, take us to success, tell us what to play, ooooooh", as soon as I say something about his riffs, or if I present this riff I've made, that is an easy one, but extremely boring for HIM, he cranks up the volume and starts to co** around with the guitar. I mean what the hell.

Simple=/=Bad

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT