ok well it's not genius...
what if i plug straight into my FX loop ? would it work ?
if so, what would happen ? would it be much quieter ?
cause my amp is way too loud...

thanks !
Last edited by The red Strat. at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by The red Strat.
ok well it's probably not genius...
what if i plug straight into my FX loop ? would it work ?
if so, what would happen ? would it be much quieter ?
cause my amp is way too loud...

thanks !

Wow, thats not very smart.

seeing as the loop goes between the power amp and pre amp, your bound to blow something up.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
i dunno man, the pre amp just amplifies the signal so if i plug into the poweramp i guess i'd just be way quieter... bu i'm not sure.
I LOVE PEOPLE LIKE THIS!

Cheers man, you are indeed a genius, hahahaha
Diezel, Motherfucker
No...just...no...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It shouldn't hurt anything by trying it, but I don't think it'll turn out to be a genius idea, either.

Give it a whirl. I'd expect next to no volume.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
There's a reason why you plug your guitar into the input and the effects into the loop, the loop isn't made to plug your guitar into. If it even worked, I'd think it'd end up making your guitar sound bad if there's even volume at all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
actually, i had a thought like this once, except it included the line out on my vox into the effects return of my marshall.

Didn't try it though, not sure if i should...
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
it skips the preamp, and doesnt the volume level come from the power tubes?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
This thread is full of fail.
Of course you can do that. If your guitar has a preamp (some metal axes have that), it will be even better. You can even plug your mp3 player into your poweramp. Just try.
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
Last edited by Philipp Sobecki at Oct 14, 2007,
I've seen a lot of guys run preamps, multis like the pod, etc. directly in the fx return/poweramp in on an amp. You just plug the guitar into the external preamp or multi, and it bypasses the amp's own preamp completely. I doubt pluggin a guitar directly in would sound good, unless like said, it had a built in preamp that could boost to line level.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i've heard that some people use line 6 pods (or any kind of multi fx) by plugging into the FX return. its supposed to give a very uncoloured tone so that what you're hearing is just a powered up pod. (think atomic amps). I've wanted to try this myself but have been too lazy. :P
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
So, would it actually work using the line out on my vox? Because the speaker in it is extremely muddy, whereas there is a pretty good celestion in my marshall
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
it will work if you have some other preamp (like the line out from another amp or a seperate preamp) if you plug straight in it will either be very quiet or you wont get any sound at all, in either case nothing will blow up
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
yeah, it would only work witha preamp. and the effects send from your vox into the return of your marshall should work in theory. but it's all the little things that add up that might make this fail. pluggin your guitar into the effects return alone, with no boost, probably wont get you anything. but NONE of this will destroy anything or blow anything up. and i have to commend you for thinking of the idea. it seems like a fairly logical path to take. but if you think you're the first, you're probably wrong. and if it worked and worked well, they wouldn't make attenuators. bottom line: if you boost your signal to line level, you're back to square one of power-amping your line level. you just wouldn't have the tone-shaping of the preamp, which could be good or bad. but volume will not be changed. either get an attenuator or turn your amp down. simple as that.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
wow...

"DON'T DOOZ IT OR YOUR AMPS WILL 'SPLODDEDD!!!"

I've been doing it for years...it's the best way to use a modeler with a tube amp. Also, try a tube screamer direct into the power amp of your tube amp...pretty decent results and it's something different.
You're just bypassing the preamp. Purple Haze was recorded in a similar way, with a fuzz face straight into a power amp.
Quote by kool98769
it skips the preamp, and doesnt the volume level come from the power tubes?

yeah, but the eq'ing comes from the pre amp tubes, therefore, it would sound...shitty
Quote by deluxity
yeah, but the eq'ing comes from the pre amp tubes, therefore, it would sound...shitty

Not necessarily. A typical EQ is cutting frequencies anyway...I love the natural tonality of my strat and that's as close as I'm going to get to hearing it without any other stuff in the way. It all depends on what guitar you're using. Yes, the volume isn't much, but it's enough, and a clean booster as a preamp gives you a bit more push.
Do it and tell us what happens.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by Roc8995
You're just bypassing the preamp. Purple Haze was recorded in a similar way, with a fuzz face straight into a power amp.

Interesting. I've never heard that before. Link?

Quote by The Master Plan
Do it and tell us what happens.

*BOOM!*

If you plug just your guitar in it probably won't work because the signal won't be big enough for the power amp to pick up and boost, and you won't get any preamp distortion if you do.

However, a lot of boosts are meant to go straight in like that. Also, if you like your head's power amp but want a different preamp you can plug your guitar into the preamp and the preamp into the fx loop.

Last edited by Say Ocean at Oct 15, 2007,
Quote by Say Ocean
If you plug just your guitar in it probably won't work because the signal won't be big enough for the power amp to pick up and boost, and you won't get any preamp distortion if you do.

While it's true that you won't really get a very loud signal, it's not like you'll have nothing at all. I get a pretty warm, jazzy clean tone plugging direct to the power amp.
Quote by TwoString
Not necessarily. A typical EQ is cutting frequencies anyway...I love the natural tonality of my strat and that's as close as I'm going to get to hearing it without any other stuff in the way. It all depends on what guitar you're using. Yes, the volume isn't much, but it's enough, and a clean booster as a preamp gives you a bit more push.

of course, that depends on how good is your guitar and the power amp

i feel likin trying it too