The B string on my strat is flat past the 12th fret. I've tried to shorten the string length, but it won't shorten any more, and it's still disturbingly flat.

Could this be a problem with the bridge? It's a standard Strat tremolo bridge, and I never use my whammy bar. Or is it a truss rod thing? Anyway, I'd really like to be able to fix it by myself, but if I have to I can take it in.
Fender MIA Telecaster with DiMarzio noiseless single coils
-Fulltone OCD
-Ibanez Analog Delay
-Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Blues Junior
Fender MIM Jazz Bass with Noiseless pickups
Mesa Walkabout
Epiphone AC200SCE Acoustic
Quote by synyster.punk
if its flat...you gotta legthen it...

Nope, other way around.

Try something for fun. Look closely at the bridge as you fret a note. Does it move? If so, you will have nothing but grief trying to set intonation. Perhaps you need to start with your string gauge/number of springs and go from there. Let us know if it moves, and what gauge you are playing as well as the number of springs you have, and we can help a bit from there.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by synyster.punk
if its flat...you gotta legthen it...

nope

and thread starter, don't touch your trus rod

it could be either a problem with the saddle or with the string

how old are your strings?
It was flat before and after I changed the strings like a week ago.

I use 10's. I have 3 springs.

The bridge isn't moving at all.
Fender MIA Telecaster with DiMarzio noiseless single coils
-Fulltone OCD
-Ibanez Analog Delay
-Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Blues Junior
Fender MIM Jazz Bass with Noiseless pickups
Mesa Walkabout
Epiphone AC200SCE Acoustic
You can take the screw out and shorten the spring, that will give you a little more adjustment. But you might have to shorten the screw for string clearance. I had to do that once with a cheaper strat copy. If the neck pocket isnt right then the scale length could be a little to short. If all your saddles are pretty close to maxed out could be your problem. But action has a big effect on intonation. To high throws it out. Truss rod wont affect intonation.
Quote by Tackleberry
Truss rod wont affect intonation.

If the truss rod adjustment is anywhere close to correct, you're right. If the neck is banana shaped it definitely will.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1