Hi guys,

I've been playing guitar and singing now for a while, and I'd like to start recording my stuff so that I can put some of my stuff up on the net and get feedback and such.

Now, I've just built a new computer to a very high gaming spec, so I was planning on using this to record and produce my own stuff, but I'll be the first to admit I'm a complete noob at the whole music recording business, so I don't really know where to start.

What I would like to do is record myself singing, and playing guitar, at separate times, and put them over each other to make songs and have the option to add some bass then later on. And maybe have some computer generated drums in the background as well, if that is possible ?

I'd like to get good sound quality, but not for too much money ! My budget is probably about 300 euro, at most. I realise thats not much in this day and age, but at the moment its the best I can do.

What I was thinking is something like :

and

The music I plan on playing will be rock (Foo fighters, Muse and such) and the guitars I use are an Ibanez GiO, Ibanez jazz, Epiphone SG, Washburn X series and a 1974 fender stratocaster.

Can anyone recommend me any products to get started on, and help me with what I'm looking for please ?

Thanks a lot and sorry if I dragged on a bit !
I can do that with the program Audacity, and a nice mic.

I don't think you need to spend lots of money. Then again I'm a noob too. : |
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
You didn't say what kind of amp, pedal,modeler you have. A modeler is the easiest to record with a computer. That is what I use, and I happy with for the money spent. See my profile for examples.

But with a fast computer, you have a few more options just using the line input of your sound card. But I would not buy a new mixer or preamp without a USB or Firewire interface.

If you are not doing a lot of different sounds and only need a specific tone, then you want to mic your amp. I would get a basic dynamic mic, but don't skimp on it or the pre-amp mixer. It will be fine for vocals or the amp. I would definately record them separately, audacity is OK, I use Mixcraft3 and while not free, its worth it.
Quote by ozarkracer
You didn't say what kind of amp, pedal,modeler you have. A modeler is the easiest to record with a computer. That is what I use, and I happy with for the money spent. See my profile for examples.

But with a fast computer, you have a few more options just using the line input of your sound card. But I would not buy a new mixer or preamp without a USB or Firewire interface.

If you are not doing a lot of different sounds and only need a specific tone, then you want to mic your amp. I would get a basic dynamic mic, but don't skimp on it or the pre-amp mixer. It will be fine for vocals or the amp. I would definately record them separately, audacity is OK, I use Mixcraft3 and while not free, its worth it.

The amp I am using at the moment is a Crate GX-15R, and the pedals I have are a Distorsion DS-1 and a Marshall Supervibe chorus pedal.

Just listening to your covers now, they sound great ! Love Cinnamon girl !

Would a basic dynamic amp be the one I have linked in the first post ? And can you recommend a pre amp mixer please ? Sorry about all the help I need, I'm just really new to stuff like this, so I'm not familiar with the terms !

Thanks for the software recommendations, I'll try and get them now !

Thanks again !
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I can do that with the program Audacity, and a nice mic.

I don't think you need to spend lots of money. Then again I'm a noob too. : |

QFT, that's near my set-up, and I can get decent, if not outstanding results.

Bonus points for being named after Drizzt's nemesis.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2