Well then.

My friend...we've been playing together for maybe a year now. First he played bass, and now he just sings. He's got a good voice, but it's time we went our seperate ways. He really isn't into it as seriously as I am, and I'm ready to start a real band. I have another friend who plays bass, and he knows some drummers, and I don't know what we'd do vocal wise, but...

The kid at hand is an athlete. He plays a sport pretty much every season and has no time to practice. He's a good singer, but he's slowing me up as a musician. I hate to sound selfish, but I love music. I really want to start a band and get a serious thing going, and I can't see that happening with him.

So.

How do I let him down, easily...

Also, I'd be happy to answer any other questions...

I was thinking I'd jam with my other friend and maybe a drummer, and see how things go, and put an ad out or something for a singer.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Just explain the entire situation to him. You guys are adults or almost adults, I assume. There's no real need to sugarcoat the truth.

Just like the cliche says, "The truth hurts." But... it's necessary in life to be able to communicate and handle the truth with others.

Sorry I mixed in a little philosophy there. :P

-Dan
id work on the more serious band but keep ur friend on the side

if hes not serious about the music he'll get tired of it eventually
or tell him whats on ur mind but offer to be him jam buddy?
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
I was in that exact position. I'd jam with me friend (me on drums, him on guitar) but he wasn't serious about it at all. Then me and some of my other buds just recently formed a band and playing with them has been real great. I play bass in this band (my fav. instrument) our drummer and lead guitarist are awesome, and our rythm guitarist/vocalist is very talented as well. Simply put, the band was my priority first and foremost, but i also had my jam buddy from before the band.

So what I did was I just told my friend that the band is gonna have to be my main commitment, but ill still jam with him whenever i get the chance. He took it real well, and as of right now, everything seems to be going good.
I'd like to say I have a similiar problem, but mine's slightly different. My band (we're all mates from school) has a singer who has no sense of pitch or rhythm, and really, is disgustingly lazy, and just holds us back completely.

The rest of us have agreed to give him the boot, but we've been fretting about it for months, now, I think, we're just going to tell him he's out, and get on with it.

It's just hard, because he's a mate, and we know he'll take it badly.

Just got to suck it up and do it, I reckon, mate.
Quote by snot_foster25
I'd like to say I have a similiar problem, but mine's slightly different. My band (we're all mates from school) has a singer who has no sense of pitch or rhythm, and really, is disgustingly lazy, and just holds us back completely.

The rest of us have agreed to give him the boot, but we've been fretting about it for months, now, I think, we're just going to tell him he's out, and get on with it.

It's just hard, because he's a mate, and we know he'll take it badly.

Just got to suck it up and do it, I reckon, mate.

Same situation I'm in.

I've brought in a new singer to practice and we jammed like that(Bad singer is also decent-ish bassist) and the new singer absolutely destroyed the old singers singing. However, if i kick out the old singer I'm losing my practice space for the band, and a really nice PA and a bassist. But I will gain a new and much better singer. We also have recording opportunities but we were told we can only do it if we don't use the singer/bassist(he's really holding us back). I can't afford to miss recording time but I dont know how to kick the singer/bassist out without him going ape**** because he is also a good friend.
I'm in the same situation now. I'm lead and my friend is rhythm. He just won't practice. He only gets like 10 minutes a day, and it's really frustrating. I found a good singer who also plays guitar. I may have to give andy (the rhythm guy) the boot if he doesn't start showing some dedication.
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach