Yep, I figured out how to do it. Well, it's not really a vibrato but it's the closest thing to it.

Here's how you do it:

Step one: Pluck your E string very hard but make sure it's a clean pluck and the string doesn't hit the fretboard.

Step two: Quickly after you pluck place your index, or your index and middle finger on the side of the string. The pitch should change and sound kind of like a harmonic.

Step three: Pull up, then go back to where it's original position without taking your finger off the string. You'll probably only get to do step three once or twice before the sound fades out.

If you do it right it sounds really cool. It probably works on normal electric guitar too but I'm a bass player and I discovered it on bass. Sorry if the directions are a bit confusing. Try it out .

P.S. you can do it on any string, but E is the easiest.
not really vibrato, but i get what you're saying.

i prefer to just grab the headstock and jiggle the neck a bit, it should give a small amount, just enough to bend the pitch up and down.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Or you could just use the string behind the nut.

Either way, a video would be useful for your explanation...
Quote by djsteiner
not really vibrato, but i get what you're saying.

i prefer to just grab the headstock and jiggle the neck a bit, it should give a small amount, just enough to bend the pitch up and down.

What's the headstock exactly? And how do you jiggle then neck? (Lol I probably sound like such a n00b).

I know it's not vibrato, but I still think it sounds pretty cool.
the headstock is the end of the neck not attached to the body, where all the tuning pegs are. i jiggle it by grabbing a protruding part of the body (preferably closer to the headstock than where the neck meets the body) then press the body towards me and the headstock away, and vice versa.

Quote by yawn

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by yawn

+1, though I find it kinda hard to do on higher tension strings.

But good job doing something different.
Quote by yawn

That's what I'm doing. Seems easier too.
I'm reminded of the BendWell nut on Mark King's headless Statuses (Statii?). Or, as I do when the notion takes me, take a glass jar (a little Tesco herb one with a square-ish edge) in my right hand, generate a note close to the bridge with it, then slide it up a little. The resulting noise will set dogs a-barking three streets away...
Quote by yawn

They're called "behind the nut bends"
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by yawn

thats whay i do jimi hendrix first used it i beleive and calls it bending beyond the nut

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I'm not sure what you mean by jiggle the neck.
But if i wanted to vibrato a open string, I simply shake my bass in a intensifying manner.

hehe.
Quote by brentonkim
I'm not sure what you mean by jiggle the neck.
But if i wanted to vibrato a open string, I simply shake my bass in a intensifying manner.

hehe.

Same here. I just wiggle my bass around and shake it a little bit.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Quote by djsteiner

I'd imagine that's not too good for your neck...but I could be wrong
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
not really jiggling it... but bending it, just a small amount so as to bend the pitch

Ditto to what djsteiner does. Slightly pulling back the headstock so it bends the entire neck. I can't imagine it's bad for the neck, I mean, it's wood. And it's a very slight bend for a very short period of time.