I'm replacing the tuners on my Hondo LP and I ran into a snag. Anyone know how to remove the bushings at the top of the tuning pegs? I'm worried about damaging the guitar if I apply to much force.

Here are some pics:

Any help is appreciated.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
They will tap out from the back side if you use a piece of dowel or something similar. If you are throwing them away, feel free to use a steel punch. Easy does it. Tap around the whole circumference of the bushing, and it should gradually come out. Support the other side with a block of wood covered in a soft cloth.

BTW, they are likely splined on their outer surface and the splines are 'biting' slightly into the wood, so that's why you need to get them going slowly all the way around evenly to make sure they come out straight. At the first sign of movement, check the finish on the front to make sure they aren't adhering to it in some way and taking chips with them.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Oct 14, 2007,
Ah well. I'll start now and see what happens. Its a slow process but I'd rather be safe so its worth it. Thanks Vulcan.

Edit:
I just got the bushings out. Not paint chips in the process either. Thanks for the help Vulcan. Now I just need to borrow a drill for the new tuners.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Last edited by OsirisProtocol at Oct 14, 2007,
Ugh... I just fitted the new tuners for in. Seems like I'll have to ream the holes some to get them to fit properly. Would a drill be overkill for a job like this? Its either that or just purchase some professional reamers or something of the nature.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by OsirisProtocol
Ugh... I just fitted the new tuners for in. Seems like I'll have to ream the holes some to get them to fit properly. Would a drill be overkill for a job like this? Its either that or just purchase some professional reamers or something of the nature.

I used fine sandpaper wrapped around a pencil, manually going clock-wise inside each hole, until they were "big" enough.

Needing to ream is actually good. The tighter the tuners fit into the holes (within reason), the better for transfer of string vibration. Something I always do after reaming is put a little sealer (tung oil) on the inside of the holes just to prevent any seasonal moisture route into or out of the wood. It's probably not necessary though.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Well I'll pick up some sandpaper when I get a chance and start the reaming process. I should have some tung oil laying around also somewhere in the house. I'll use some after the process. It won't hurt anyway lol.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem