Page 1 of 2
Mag has been going steadily downhill since the new layout, anyone else agree?

Post ridiculous quotes from the mag here.
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
i like it.. although..sometimes their too biased for reviewing albums imo
gear:
Custom built Strat
Esp ltd EC-1000
Gibson les paul fadded dc
Line 6 spider II 30watt
Boss Ds1, DD6,Tu-2, NS
Alvarez af60ckelectro/acoustic
Most definitely - they reviewed the line 6 spider 3 and gave it a 100% review, ya rly
Diezel, Motherfucker
"number 1 most dangerous concert is KISS"
"matt bellamy is the new jimi hendrix/van halen"
"steal synyster gates' style"

I mean i love matt bellamy but c'mon hendrix and EVH kick the crap out of him
Ibanez RG1570
Randall RG75G3
EHX Metal Muff
the mag??? what magazine are you talking about and any magazine that says a line 6 spyder is good is either on drugs or choclate ocvered crrack
Im subscribed to it.

They need more guitar music though - I mean guitarists like Yngwie, Satriani etc. Theres alot of Steve Vai but i want some other guitarists .I hate all the crap they put in it sometimes.

The reviews are pretty good though.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
They once had a diagram showing the notes on the fretboard.... and got it wrong!
Apparently 1st fret on b string is... B! lol
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
I refuse to buy it if they insist on dumbing down the tab. "This song is in drop c, but we're gonna tab it out in standard just to **** with you."
Quote by ninewhilenine
Mag has been going steadily downhill since the new layout, anyone else agree?

Post ridiculous quotes from the mag here.

I agree 100%

Ever since their old editor went.

the visual aspect has gone down hill, the content is crappy, the songs they tab is rubbish, their new CD rom navigation thing is crappy as well.

It used to be an amazing magazine and good read, but now im so dissapointed everytime i buy it. They Tab out Snow patrol for crying out loud...thats for pregnant mums sweating in conservatory's. its just rubbish.
Im a subscriber and hate the new layout!

i love reading my back issues, there so much better.
Quote by silentdob
*waits for the legion of Dimebag fans to beat me to death with bottles of Jack*
Quote by BlackBeautyBoy
Im a subscriber and hate the new layout!

i love reading my back issues, there so much better.

Im the same, i find my self reading issues from as much as 3 years ago lol. i got 53 of them since #125 Summer 2004 which was my very first one..and its still better than the new ones.

The new layout for tab is so **** to look at, the backing tracks have gone down hill too..and the crappy gifts they include..like the sweat ban pic holder LMAO ! how trivium do you wanna be huh.

and they have lost paul gilberts video lessons.
you know they may have rated the line 6 spider high cause they know what they're talking about and you may well be just a person sat at a computer posting on an electric guitar forum ,,, lol

And as for "dumbing down tabs" theres a reason they would do it in standard instead of dropped C ,,, its most likely in consideration of the many people who use E standard tuning with .09 or .10 strings and they dont really wanna force people to detune
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
I haven't read Total guitar much tbh... Guitar World is getting pretty bad too really. I think its rather poorly written, and like any magazine, the reviews are worthless. Guitar Player is very good, and their reviews are actually worth while reads.
Quote by sajuuk
you know they may have rated the line 6 spider high cause they know what they're talking about and you may well be just a person sat at a computer posting on an electric guitar forum ,,, lol

And as for "dumbing down tabs" theres a reason they would do it in standard instead of dropped C ,,, its most likely in consideration of the many people who use E standard tuning with .09 or .10 strings and they dont really wanna force people to detune

O RLY

Thats some n00b speak right there, Mr MG30, also total guitar will always give a rave review to ANY piece of equipment that buys advertising space in its hallowed pages, FACT.

Suck this for me please.
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by sajuuk

as opposed to you being... wait.

But then they're not learning the song, they're learning a different version of a song which is in a different key etc. Beginners will want to try to play along to the song and most of them won't have a clue as to how to change the fingerings from standard to drop C and so the tab gives them little or no help in doing that. And more experienced players will be comfortable tuning their guitars to drop C when they want to play a song in drop C.

or is that too logical?

tbh the only reason I started buyig it was because of the PG lessons. now there are marty friedman lessons and apparently PG is coming back soon to do more. so while they have guest lessons, I'll be happy(-ish).
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by AngerIsAGift06
"matt bellamy is the new jimi hendrix/van halen"

Christ, don't get me started on that, please. No guitarist in modern music is as overrated as Matt Bellamy. I read about two pages of that article before quite literally slamming it closed in frustration after I read something along the lines of "The riff to Plug In Baby makes you wonder if Matt Bellamy is really human!"

Yes, he's versatile. Yes, he's imaginative.

That's about it.

Alex Lifeson kthx.
I like the new look. But the CD's dont work on my comp any more but thats because my comp is crud!

Yeh sweatband pickholder lol...i tryed it and it takes so dam long to get that pick out!!!!!
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by mh400nt
O RLY

Thats some n00b speak right there, Mr MG30, also total guitar will always give a rave review to ANY piece of equipment that buys advertising space in its hallowed pages, FACT.

Suck this for me please.

I'm no noob boy unlike some of you I've actually tried the line 6, yes its not exactly brilliant but its a practice amp its not designed to compete with tubes is it?

and as for "mr MG" if you've got a couple of hundred quid for a deecnt tube amp i'll glady take it ^o)

And the dude that sed about not learning the same song,,,its the same song!! its just a different key man who cares if its a tone or so higher? :S
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Last edited by sajuuk at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by sajuuk
I'm no noob boy unlike some of you I've actually tried the line 6, yes its not exactly brilliant but its a practice amp its not designed to compete with tubes is it?

Well, the 75W ones and above are designed for gigs, so... yes, it is.

Quote by sajuuk
And the dude that sed about not learning the same song,,,its the same song!! its just a different key man who cares if its a tone or so higher? :S

I do.
getting back on topic...

I totally get what you're all saying, this mag has been a p.o.s for some time now. The front cover of the issue in my bag says:

"Avril Lavigne's Axe, actually pretty cool!"

ggnore.

And inside there's a whole page dedicated to getting benji madden's "style"... That'd be "punk" then would it? Not exactly setting high standards for young guitar players are they. "Here's how to look like some dick, and HERE'S a simplified version of the tasteless records you buy!"

I shall not be buying the magazine again.
Total Guitar has been going downhill since Jimi Savage left if you ask me.

At least back then they didn't mention Avenged Sevenfold or Trivium in every issue.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Guitar World/Guitar One>>>>>>>>>>>>Total Guitar
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Guitar World/Guitar One>>>>>>>>>>>>Total Guitar

Guitar techniques > Guitar world > Guitar One > Total Guitar
I went on Ebay and bought a whole load of back issues for not very much money. Far better than the new mags, although I still buy it every month
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia
I went on Ebay and bought a whole load of back issues for not very much money. Far better than the new mags, although I still buy it every month

The only thing I liked about the new ones were the Gilbert column and when the issue came out with all of them reprinted, I missed it (so if anyone could scan it for me, I'd be very thankful).
Quote by sajuuk
head and cab model. obviously a bedroom guitarists amp .

and I have tried the spider series. my mate has one of the original spiders and it's crap and every time I try something out in a guitar shop I get plugged into a spider at first and I try and approach it with an open mind each time I do, but it's not long before I'm asking to try it out on amp x instead.

people who want to play along to the CD version of the song.

it's all fine and dandy but when you turn up to a practice having learnt the song from the tabs in total guitar and it's in a completely different tuning than what the rest of he band has learnt the song in, it can be a bit awkward especially for beginners who won't really know how to change the fingerings to suit the tunings.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Guitar techniques > Guitar world > Guitar One > Total Guitar

Guitar Player > All of those
Quote by CJRocker
Guitar Player > All of those

Hell no. It's nice, but not Guitar Techniques nice. That mag has it all, except for reviews, which doesn't matter because they're going to be biased anyway.
total guitar, guitar world, guitar techniques, guitar buyer are all speperate, however they all have the same publisher which is future.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Hell no. It's nice, but not Guitar Techniques nice. That mag has it all, except for reviews, which doesn't matter because they're going to be biased anyway.

I've never seen Guitar Techniques, so I guess I'm speaking slightly out of my ass, so I need to give it a try. For the record, I thought Guitar One was pretty good too.
Guitar world this month is awesome, on all blues playing aspects. the DVD is pretty good and the musician is good.
Quote by Paddles
Well, the 75W ones and above are designed for gigs, so... yes, it is.

I do.

ooo bum wrong one sorry lol
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
guitar world > total guitar
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by senor_penguin
guitar world > total guitar

isnt guitar world american and total guitar english ? just got the same publishers, because future is well known for favouring musical magazines rather than mainstream.
It's been going downhill for a long time now, and it passed the 'crap' threshold about a year ago. And it's still getting worse.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

tbh the only reason I started buyig it was because of the PG lessons. now there are marty friedman lessons and apparently PG is coming back soon to do more. so while they have guest lessons, I'll be happy(-ish).

They were the only reasons I bought it.

Marty Friedman's lessons are a bit meh though.
Gilbert's were awesome, the magazine as a whole just went downhill when Gilbert left.

You can't help but laugh at their gear reviews, they are cringeworthy.
Not to mention every issue is so damn repetative, same bands, etc.

But seriously, Guitar Techniques > All

EDIT: Oh, and them calling Synyster Gates the new Slash, granted i don't like either of them, but that's just a joke.
I was very excited to receive my free gift this month....a sweatband with built in pick-holder!!
Page 1 of 2