Hi guys, I am trying to find an alright guitar and amp for my buddy.
He wants to start playing metal.
His budget is around 400 euro's.

He dont need a very loud amp at all since he will probably have to use headphones most of the time. So I thought about a Roland Micro Cube what do you say guys?
For the guitar I found this: Dean Vendetta 1.0 Anyone got any other ideas?

The rest of the money will probably be used for some cables and stuff.
I'd say the Cube would be a good choice, I'd personally rather have a cheap schecter or ibanez though, not a fan of lower end deans.

This is one of the few times I'd actually recommend spending more money on the guitar than amp.

I'd go for something like a RG321 or RG2EX1 and the Cube. Should last a long time.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 14, 2007,
I dunno about the guitar but instead of the Microcube (which i have and love, it's just not that good for metal) instead get a 30 watt Cube (has more options and isn't beastly expensive either).

But if that is too loud than definatly go for the microcube. But keep in mind that can just turn down the 30 watt and it does sound just as good.
Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by Ruzzido
How about the new Schecter Demon?

Yeah, that could work as well. I thought Schecters were pretty overpriced in Europe though?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I actually didn't mind the $100 Dean Vendetta I played. A change from the stock strings and a little neck care, and it would have been a beautiful player.
I hear a lot of hate on them around UG, but I like the 50 level ESP LTD's I've played (like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-EC50-Electric-Guitar?sku=516672). Pickups arn't anything to write home about, but what can you do. Otherwise, look at a used Ibanez RG series. Try to stay away from an Ibanez with an A in the model #. IE, RG321 > RGA321, or whatever.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I actually didn't mind the $100 Dean Vendetta I played. A change from the stock strings and a little neck care, and it would have been a beautiful player.
I hear a lot of hate on them around UG, but I like the 50 level ESP LTD's I've played (like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-EC50-Electric-Guitar?sku=516672). Pickups arn't anything to write home about, but what can you do. Otherwise, look at a used Ibanez RG series. Try to stay away from an Ibanez with an A in the model #. IE, RG321 > RGA321, or whatever.

Isn't a RGA321 a Prestige model...?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Mabye I'm thinking of S versus SA? Hell if I know, I'm tired.

Haha, well the S series are the ones with the SZ trems in them (great trems) and the SA come with the vintage style trems if I'm not mistaken.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ok, I did my backchecking. Stay away from Ibanez's with a G in front of the model number. GRG < RG.

Thanks for pointing out my suck, MatrixClaw!
Haha, well the S series are the ones with the SZ trems in them (great trems) and the SA come with the vintage style trems if I'm not mistaken.

Actually its called a ZR trem.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
that's wrong, I have a grg 270 and I think it's great for beginners.
Of course it's not teh guitar, but I can't complain about it...
The only thing a more experienced guy once told me, is that I maybe could grind a bit of the ends of the frets... they were a BIT too long and this could hurt after a time of shredding. xD
I don't know about the grg170, but I say the 270 is a nice, solid and cheap solution.

For the amp I'd also take a cube, or microcube. Distortion pedals are 80-100€ if your friend wants more distortion for the microcube...

cheers!
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Ok, I did my backchecking. Stay away from Ibanez's with a G in front of the model number. GRG < RG.

Thanks for pointing out my suck, MatrixClaw!

haha, yeah, that sounds more like it! the rga121 is very nice.

+1 on matrix claw's suggestion of the rg321 + cube- just make sure your friend doesn't go for either the cube 15 or 20x- your friend's best bet is either the cube 30x, or if he can't stretch to that, the microcube. Because the 15 and 20 don't have the amp models, which is what you want the amp for in the first place.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 16, 2007,
Quote by .arkness:.
Actually its called a ZR trem.

Yeah I know, I don't know what I was thinking last night, too tired haha
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
That Dean isn't terrible, and wold make a perfectly fine starter guitar. Like someone stated earlier, some minor neck care, and string change would be a given. The pickups aren't the greatest, although people would be surprised with what even a cheap pickup upgrade will do.

I have a Dean ML X that plays pretty decently, keeps in tune and feels ok. wasn't happy with the pickups though, and I found a set of "Powered by Lace" humbuckers that I got for real cheap (approx $35USD for the set). Yes, I know they're cheap, but it was my first experiment with modding a guitar. Even though they were inexpensive, it made a world of difference in tone.

Anyways, the Dean's super inexpensive, and if you're unsure if he'll even stick with playing the guitar, it won't break the bank. If he sticks with it, it can easily be modified, and without spending too much on it either.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."