A guy is selling a Peavey Valveking head with the matching 4x12 cabinet and he is asking $550 for both or best offer. I was thinking of offering him $400 and going form there. Is this worth it? I mainly play Rock, with Metallica being the heaviest. BUt I also will try everything and anything too...

Should I go for it?
I think its a good deal cause the value of this stack is around 900$ so 400$ would be a good deal, if you like this amp and think it fills your needs, buy it.
Make sure to try it out thoroughly as it is a budget amp. I have the combo version and am very pleased with it, no issues and great sound. I think it will do your music. That is a decent price. The speakers are not the best but you shouldn't notice any problems unless you play more modern metal than Metallica at very loud (over 8) volumes.
replace the speakers in the cabinet. peaveys blue marvel spekaer aren't half bad but you can definitely do a lot better, and it really helps the VK out. It should do everything you want well including metallica, maybe an OD for some of the slightly more modern sounding songs
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
replace the speakers in the cabinet. peaveys blue marvel spekaer aren't half bad but you can definitely do a lot better, and it really helps the VK out. It should do everything you want well including metallica, maybe an OD for some of the slightly more modern sounding songs

Quote by TehJermie
the matching cab is awful.

True story. Try sticking a boost in front of it.

As for a cab, www.avatarspeakers.com blow anything out of the water, especially in that price range. I own the 4x12 with v30s, definately reccomend it. Way better than, say, a Marshall 1960av cab imo
Can I just replace the speakers or should I go for a whole new cab?

Cause it comes as both.. So I dont want to buy the cab and then still have to go get a new one. If I can just replace the speakers it will be fine.
youd just be putting a cold air intake inside of your VW, which may be a good or a bad thing depending on your POV.