Why the hell are they so expensive? I'm spending like a grand on them alone.

Think I've got a good set up though. SM57 and SM57 beta for snare, akg d112 for kick, studio projets c4 overheads and a few sennheiser mp421 for toms.

What you all think? Any improvemants or suggesstions?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
i heard SM58's or 57's are good for toms. i've never heard of a beta used for a snare,but i;ve got one,so thx for the idea.i dont have much drum recording experience,but i;d like to get into it...i have 2 sm58's and a 58 beta.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Not sure about the C4s, mainly because I've never used them. Other than that, sounds like a pretty damn good setup. Good man. *thumbs up*
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
I like the Audix D6 over the AKG D112. We have both at the nightclub I work at and the D6 gets the most use.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Because you need condensers for overheads, and good condensers are a bitch to buy.

Thats a pretty good setup, before you get an SM57 try out an Audix I-5. The Audix is a little less sharp and will give your snare a bit more mid scooped sound, more thump. What I heard is great is an SM57 on top and I-5 on bottom.

Anyway, good luck!
pff, I spent $125 for my drum mics

Dual JM27s as overheads, and an Apex dynamic for the kick. It sounds great! The drums are all there, and they're all defined. The snare has a little too much punch though, so I have to drop it with an EQ.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
pff, I spent $125 for my drum mics

Dual JM27s as overheads, and an Apex dynamic for the kick. It sounds great! The drums are all there, and they're all defined. The snare has a little too much punch though, so I have to drop it with an EQ.

I want to hear your drum recordings next to the thread starter's when he gets his stuff. Then we'll see why he spent so much more
dutch apples i want to know more about those 2 mics if possible and your experience with them.

I was going to get the akgd112 but now youve got me thinking lol.

I myself will be recording everything from death metal to jazz drum wise so i need to know which will last the longest, be the best sound for my need(has to be very versatile then i suppose) and is just in general better. Like, why is it you choose the audix over the AKG?

EDIT: another question in general, my set up is basically the same actually. I was planning to use my sm57 for the snare, have the AKG (or Audix) for the bass drum and 2 overheads( im poor so i can only afford the Studio projects C1's) im thinking of now getting the audix i-5 at a later stage when i have money. When i finally do get all this, will this be adequate for recording a decent drum sound?
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

Last edited by Mr.Loomis_shred at Oct 15, 2007,
i spent 300 bucks on drum mics and i like the snare and tom mics better than my 58 (the only difference is the bass rolloff to a 57)... cant say for any other mics but yeah 300 bucks got me an amazing drum mic set. even though ive only compared the tom and OH/HH mics theyre still a hell of alot better than the alternatives
Going for individual MD421's on the toms might be a little costly you're looking at more than a grand on those alone, you may considering checking out the e604's, which also come with very handy tom mounting clips, and you can get a 3pack of them for about 300 bucks. I'm not so sure about C4's for overheads, you may want to spend a little more and opt for a pair of Rode NT5's or SM81's which many swear by. But I think you're got your foot in the right direction, and I think you should be very pleased with your decisions.
Didnt want to start a new thread if there's one here. So i just want some recommendations.

Firstly overheads - ive ordered a studio projects C1 of Thomann.de where it would normally be £234 but im getting it for 131. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to other overheads in this sort of price range that they know are better or gave them a good sound.

The on the snare - Im currently just using a shure sm57. Somewhere earlier someone mentioned using an Audix I 5. Is this a good option because its something i can actually afford. Ive heard good things about the Sennheiser e606 and e906. What should i do with my snare mics?

Bass drum - I still dont know whether to choose between the AKG D112 or the Audix D6. The AKG is cheaper and ive heard more a lot about it whereas the Audix is £50 more expensive and ive only heard it from Dutch Apples.

Tom mics - im going to worry about these last but when i do get any i am thinking of the Sennheiser e604. Are these a good option.

I know theres a lot here, sorry but it would help me out a great deal thanks

Quote by Friggly

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

^Here's what I would do (and note that this is very similar to my own setup).

OH's - C1's are decent, but a pair is gonna cost you quite a lot and to be honest they aren't my favorites - so what I recommend - Rode Nt5's

Snare - nothing beats an SM57, or SM7b (or two, one on top, one underneath)

Tom mics are good

Kick - personally I would go with a Shure Beta52 which is cheaper than even the AKG D112. Alll three are good mics however and are often used together in combination.

Just a note - shure makes a very good drum mic set that you might want to look into. 3 SM57's and a Beta52 for the price of essentially 2 SM57's and the Beta52.

As always - going used can save you quite a lot of dough.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Thanks so so much thrice!

Im getting my C1's from thomann which will cost me £138 per set(the set includes a 10ft cable, stand and pop filter). So for 2 it would cost me roughly £276. And a pair or the rodes will cost me 231. So a considerable difference for me seeing as i dont have that much money to spend. Are the rodes actually better than the C1's...well i suppose what im trying to say is what makes the rodes stand out more to you? And what would you think of a combo of them - one of each? As i was also planning on using the C1 for guitar recording

I've been reluctant to purchase many of shures drum mics as i was thoroughly let down with their pg series set, which even though is a beginner set they were still absolutely horrible.

Ive almost got something against them now haha.

The reason im trying to not buy used now (except with these electrovoice mics im looking out for :P ) is because with thomann i get the same product and saving a huge amount and i also get a 3 year warrenty. I would rather pay that little bit extra for the warrenty.

Quote by Friggly

Quote by dingmydong

Last edited by Mr.Loomis_shred at Oct 16, 2007,
Thanks for the replies guys. This should become the drum mics thread where everyone comes to post questions. I think im gunna get the audix instead of the sm57 beta just to see the difference.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Mr.Loomis_shred
Thanks so so much thrice!

Im getting my C1's from thomann which will cost me £138 per set(the set includes a 10ft cable, stand and pop filter). So for 2 it would cost me roughly £276. And a pair or the rodes will cost me 231. So a considerable difference for me seeing as i dont have that much money to spend. Are the rodes actually better than the C1's...well i suppose what im trying to say is what makes the rodes stand out more to you? And what would you think of a combo of them - one of each? As i was also planning on using the C1 for guitar recording

They're both good mics - really just different flavors. I will mention however that NT5's are primarily used for guitar recording as well, but both are great mics. Either way it is money well spent.

Quote by Mr.Loomis_shred
I've been reluctant to purchase many of shures drum mics as i was thoroughly let down with their pg series set, which even though is a beginner set they were still absolutely horrible.

Oh definitely! Any self-respecting engineer will tell you that the PG series are absolutely TERRIBLE. Some of the worst mics ever made. However - those aren't real Shure's - the real Shure's are the ones mentioned that are in practically every decent studio across the world.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by Mr.Loomis_shred
dutch apples i want to know more about those 2 mics if possible and your experience with them.

I was going to get the akgd112 but now youve got me thinking lol.

I myself will be recording everything from death metal to jazz drum wise so i need to know which will last the longest, be the best sound for my need(has to be very versatile then i suppose) and is just in general better. Like, why is it you choose the audix over the AKG?

EDIT: another question in general, my set up is basically the same actually. I was planning to use my sm57 for the snare, have the AKG (or Audix) for the bass drum and 2 overheads( im poor so i can only afford the Studio projects C1's) im thinking of now getting the audix i-5 at a later stage when i have money. When i finally do get all this, will this be adequate for recording a decent drum sound?

Yes it will be, if you have the skill
^ Damn...can i buy that too?

Because of my lack of good mics to record with i havent really properly got into recording yet, well except guitar so hopefully when i get my mics i can finally start to learn

thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated.

Quote by Friggly

Quote by dingmydong

Good thread.

On the subject of the kick drum mics, I think the AKGD112 has a great sound. There is another one, made by Sennheiser, I can't remember what it's called at the minute, but it's great for close micing the snare in conjunction with another mic to get a really defined sound of the beater.
There is poetry in despair.