Ok, so I am looking for something to fill out my rig and compliment my American Strat. Here is what I am looking for.

2 Humbuckers
at least 22 frets
whammy would be nice, but only a good one that stays in tune (ie. not ibanez edgeIII)

Styles I hope to play with it:

Shred - Steve vai, Joe satriani, Paul Gilbert

Rock - Slash kind of tone

Blues - Gary Moore, BB King, Albert King

Guitars that I have considered.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG321
Ibanez RG350, 370 (if the trem is any good)

My limit is about the epiphone, I wouldnt like to go over 700 with this guitar.

Can I even do this in one guitar, or what are my best options here.

Thanks

Hawk
If you're looking at Epi LPs, it would behoove you to take a look at Michael Kelly Patriots. Better specs and build quality than the Epis for less $$$.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I'd go for the RG321 or the Epiphone.

The trems on the other RG's isn't that good.

If you want a good Paul Gilbert tone, get a hardtail RG and with the money left over replace the pickups with DiMarzio's. That'll give you a great sounding, great playing guitar.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
ebay orville, and edwards edwards are built by esp and come stock with SDs or EMGs and orvilles are better then gibbys but cheaper (made in the old gibson factory and have long tenon necks which only come on the 3k gibsons)
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I'd go for the RG321 or the Epiphone.

The trems on the other RG's isn't that good.

If you want a good Paul Gilbert tone, get a hardtail RG and with the money left over replace the pickups with DiMarzio's. That'll give you a great sounding, great playing guitar.

Ok good, exactly what I was thinking in my head, but wasnt sure if it would work well.

Also still hoping to get a decent clean sound out of all of this too, so i am looking for a fair amount of versitility, maybe too much for one guitar.
Quote by hawk5211
Ok good, exactly what I was thinking in my head, but wasnt sure if it would work well.

It will.

Essentially it's what Gilbert uses himself.
Get the Fender Telecaster Special Edition Spalted Maple. That guitar is crazy sweet.

If you are down with the Ibanez hard tail guitars try to find an RGT42FX for under 700 (shouldn't be too hard). That guitar kicks all kinds of ass (the newest model I'm referring to).
Last edited by Johnny Two Tone at Oct 14, 2007,
I'd get a RG and put some rock/blues pickups, probably a Duncan SH-1 in the neck and a SH-4 in the bridge.
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Ergo, Awesome = Buckethead = Weird Al
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
Quote by Johnny Two Tone
Get the Fender Telecaster Limited Edition Spalted Maple. That guitar is crazy sweet.

If you are down with the Ibanez hard tail guitars try to find an RGT42FX for under 700 (shouldn't be too hard). That guitar kicks all kinds of ass (the newest model I'm referring to).

The Tele is amazing, very nice pickups on that one.

As far getting the RGT, the budget doesn't allow an Ibanez RGT and a pickup upgrade, so you'd be better of with the RG321 with better pickups.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I love that show.

He's actually using a regular RG in that video.

wouldnt he be using an older version of him pgm

wait i guess that makes sense, just a fixed bridge and dimarzios, just different cosmetics
Quote by hawk5211
wouldnt he be using an older version of him pgm

wait i guess that makes sense, just a fixed bridge and dimarzios, just different cosmetics

No that's what used to be a stock RG.

When he did clinics for Ibanez, he always pulled an RG of the rack afterwards to try it. He liked them a lot, so he asked Ibanez to send him a stock one, which he decorated with baseball and dinosaur stickers. Later he replaced the pickups and turned it into a hardtail.

He also used to have a pink RG, called Telesavalas (as seen in one of his instructional tapes), but he doesn't own it anymore.

Most of the Gilbert signature models are based on the RG, have DiMarzios and a hardtail bridge.

Also, he likes to buy quirky guitars and then to upgrade the pickups, so even his cheap, weird, guitars have DiMarzio pickups in them.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 14, 2007,
+1 to getting a japanese LP copy...definitely worth a look into!! Orville definitely. if not then get the esp ec-1000 or such..LP copy with SD's.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Ibanez Artist AR305. Under $700 and blows the Epi LP completely out of the water.