What is the difference between overdrive and distortion. I noticed while looking at pedals they weren't the same. just need clarification. Thx
Deacon of the Church of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Member of Slashism, the worship of Saul Hudson himself, PM slash's_#1_fan to join

Member #34 of the John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub
PM IpodInaBottle to join
distortion through standard amps, overdrive through tube amps. or vice versa...i cant recall at the moment
There is no difference, different companies use different words
Distortion is a more harsh tone, with more boost to it. metallica annd bands us distortion....overdrive has a smoother warmer tone, also more naturel sound. like Stevie Ray Vaughan or early punk stuff
distortion is a distorted sound so its fuzzier and heavier than overdrive.overdrive comes from the sound tube amps make when they're cranked too loud and drive to hard and the sound cuts up.
keep blues alive
overdrive pedals clips the signal more 'softly' than a distortion pedal which will just clip the signal very harshly.

the softer clipping of overdrive sounds more natural and smoother, but that's not always what you're looking for.

someone posted a diagram showing this, if I can find it i'll repost it

EDIT:

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Oct 14, 2007,
Overdrives emulate the sound of an overdriven valve amp. Distortions distort the signal. Just what young_is_god said,
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr