whats the worst that can happen if you have your guitar set up to regular tuning and play in drop C? will it FLlCK up my guitar? should i have it set to drop C and only play in drop C? or what?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Last edited by lua4x at Oct 14, 2007,
It could kill you.

What gauge strings are you using?

You might not even be able to play in Dropped C if your strings are too thin and floppy
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
if you have only one guitar, your first option is your only option, but if you have two or more guitars, then yeah, use a specific guitar to play in drop c.
well i use Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom, theres quite a bit of rattling but i can live with it.. but if i were to get the guitar set up to drop C and played in standard tuning could that potentially hurt my guitar/break it?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
No.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
No it just wont play as good as if it were set up for that tuning. But no it wont burst into flames or anything. Drop c takes alot of tension off the neck so you would probably need to reset action and truss rod, and would want some heavier strings.
If your using a hardtail I doubt it'd kill your guitar, obviously though on a floating trem you wouldnt get anywhere
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Quote by Metallica rulz
Floating trems suck, it will take you an hour every time you tune it, to make it so when you do a bend it doesn't go out of tune. But my other guitar is fine.

I hate when people say that. Good floating trems don't suck. And it takes 5 minutes (or less) to tune.
a lot of it depends on your bridge.
both a gibson tune-o-matic or strat / tele bridge can be made with rollers pretty cheaply, and the rollers keep the strings from bending quite as much. They help a lot, trust me.
(p.s.- they got cheap ones here: http://store.guitarfetish.com/index.html
)
but what about the tension arent guitars supposed to have so much tension on your neck? and if i have my guitar set up to Drop C and play in standard would could my tuss rod like snap or somthing from so much tension?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
I switch from Drop-C back to standard a couple times a week (for jazz band), and I don't have any problems at all, even with a floating trem.
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
Quote by Metallica rulz
Floating trems suck, it will take you an hour every time you tune it, to make it so when you do a bend it doesn't go out of tune. But my other guitar is fine.

Cmon, they dont suck... they just arent for you if you change your tuning every 5 minutes. I own 2 guitar with Floyds and I love them, I am getting a custom built one with a hardtail for trying different tunings.