I have a Marshall 30DFX MG Series, at this point your all gonna say "well thats you fault for buying a crap amp" but i just wanted to know if anyone has been able to get a good sound out of it for metal playing, It's probably not much of a metal amp, hence why i can t get a good sound that i want, but it just dosen't pack any punch you can't hit pinch harmonics too well, the gain dosen't really make it as heavy as other amps, So does anyone know about this amp. or has a simialr amp and could tell me what settings they use for there amp if they play metal music.. Cheers
The only chance you've got is scoop the mids (i.e Bass:10, Mid:0, Treble:10). Gain 10.

I'll leave the flaming you're going to get to other people.
its not the amp that makes the harmonics, its the guitarist.. maybe you should check out your technique.. you should be able to here harmonics with the guitar unplugged just as well as it plugged in, and it does have enough/ the right amount of gain for metal.. yet again you dont need too much gain for metal, as it just feedbacks, what you do is turn the ****er up and it produces a different sound, making it heavier,
Its a SS amp. Turning it up too high will make it clip harsher then Dimebag Darrell's stomp box (and not in a good way).
Quote by uvq
its not the amp that makes the harmonics, its the guitarist.. maybe you should check out your technique.. you should be able to here harmonics with the guitar unplugged just as well as it plugged in, and it does have enough/ the right amount of gain for metal.. yet again you dont need too much gain for metal, as it just feedbacks, what you do is turn the ****er up and it produces a different sound, making it heavier,

Exactly. You should be able to do pinch harmonics with no distortion, a little bit of distortion and lots of distortion. If you can't do them unplugged or on an acoustic, you need to work on your technique. As for getting a decent sound, I honestly don't know, I've tried before but never prevailed.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Your only hope is to play the MG on the clean setting and get your distortion from a pedal.
Yer i have a metal pedal atm, which is what i'm using, I can get clean pinch harmonics from an acoustic and from when i play without an amp, it just dosen't seem to come out clean in the amp, i'm aware that my pinch harmonics aren't perfect but there aren't as bad as the amps making the either lol. seems to work alright with the pedal going so i'll probably stick to that, but thanks for the advice people.