Bought a ValveKing, found out it wasn't for me so I plan on taking it back as well as trading in a guitar and putting money on top. All together I'd say my budget would be approx. $700-800 canadian. I can also use that to put an amp on layaway so I can go higher if need be. This store doesn't have B-52 amps nor have they heard of them so that's not an option but they can order new ones if they aren't there. They mainly deal with Peavey and Fender as well.

I use low tunings and seven strings almost all the time for my own stuff and what I'm looking for is a tight, high-gain distortion at high volumes with lower tuning. The sound I'm looking for is something along the lines of Tool, Deftones and maybe Lamb Of God. Basically something that's really good for rhythm playing. I don't play my own solos but I like to cover songs that have 'em so I'd like an amp that has a good lead sound as well. I'll also need it to have really good cleans. I should add that I dislike treble so a bright sounding amp isn't what I'd want so something a bit warmer.

Pretty much an all around amp but really high gain. I'd prefer tube but if there's a solid state that's ok for the above than as long as it sounds good. I won't be practicing with a band anymore but I occasionally play with a drummer and will be doing band things in the next year so it will need to be loud but not over the top. Currently I'm just a bedroom guitarist with a set of drums. All help is appreciated.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
What is it that you don't like about the ValveKing? You may be able to improve it with new tubes or something, just a possibility.

If not, I'd say maybe a Randall RH50TC.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
What is it that you don't like about the ValveKing? You may be able to improve it with new tubes or something, just a possibility.

If not, I'd say maybe a Randall RH50TC.

Yeah someone mentioned that. What I dislike is the distortion (or lack of) because the built in distortion is un-useable for me and with a pedal it sounds crappy at high volumes. It tends to sound...flubby. I love the cleans too but again only at low vol. There's no headroom to play clean with drums. I don't mind slight distortion i guess but it gets all flubby and loses clarity.

Edit: Maybe it's the crap pedal I use but I kinda doubt it.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
WTF!? How loud is your drummer? No Clean headroom....its 50w. Anyway, I understand what you mean, but if you wanted more definition like Pantera stuff then you're better off with SS.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
WTF!? How loud is your drummer? No Clean headroom....its 50w. Anyway, I understand what you mean, but if you wanted more definition like Pantera stuff then you're better off with SS.

Haha, he is fairly loud. When he really gets into the song he drums harder so I have to strum harder. My amp tends to start distorting on the clean channel when the volume is at about 3-4. The distortion loses clarity and becomes unstable around there as well so I can only play it quietly to sound good.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Most SS amps aren't very defined sounding, especially when compared to a tube amp...

TS, could you sell the amp and guitar to a store or someone locally and buy something used instead? If you can, then that will open up loads of amps that you could get. You're kind of limiting yourself with what you want to do though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ Yeah that's what I plan on doing (trading in the amp and maybe a guitar) because the place I got it at is the only store I can get slightly good equipment, everywhere else there's nothing.

I'd have to take it back there anyways because the sticker price on it is $699.95 and nobody is gonna pay that much for this. This city is small and has barely anything to offer and this store is the only one that orders stuff in. Plus I have to catch a ride that lasts 4 hours to get here then hope the owner is there to do a trade-in.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Last edited by CM_X5 at Oct 14, 2007,
Well if you can buy something used instead of buying new from the store. Check out a Peavey 5150, loads of gain, however, the clean channel is...eh. The XXXs are pretty good too, but it's basically a love/hate relationship for people with those, they do have good cleans though. Since you don't like the bright cleans, I'd suggest a Mesa F series amp, it can get those bright cleans, but is also good at the darker sounding ones (which is what I like as well), awesome gain channel as well.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Aren't those amps really expensive? There's a Peavey XXX head there for about $1200+ or so. Might have even been $1500. But if the combo is cheaper they could order it in.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Quote by CM_X5
Aren't those amps really expensive? There's a Peavey XXX head there for about $1200+ or so. Might have even been $1500. But if the combo is cheaper they could order it in.

Well I mean if you buy it new, probably. Those are really the only upgrades you're going to get from your VK since you can't get B-52, unless you can get the Randall, but it's not much of an upgrade in tone (imo).
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well I mean if you buy it new, probably. Those are really the only upgrades you're going to get from your VK since you can't get B-52, unless you can get the Randall, but it's not much of an upgrade in tone (imo).

So the VK is as good as it get's for that price? What kind of upgrades can I get for it to make it higher gain and clearer?
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Quote by CM_X5
So the VK is as good as it get's for that price? What kind of upgrades can I get for it to make it higher gain and clearer?

Have you tried adjusting the texture knob on the back to see if that gives you any more gain? I know quite a few people that say the VK has plenty of gain for metal, most people just don't play with the stuff in the back.

Otherwise, a good overdrive pedal should do it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I messed with the texture knob and the Tight/Loose button a lot and it didn't make much of a difference. Mainly just a drop in volume or more muddy. Maybe it's the speaker?
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Quote by Say Ocean
5150 combo, used.

I'll for sure check that out.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Are you using a VK speaker cab? If so a speaker upgrade helps the most (smooths out the gain and helps with flub.) Also try an EQ in the effects loop (might be able to brighten it a little.) Make sure the texture control is set all the way over to A/B (raises the distortion threshold/headroom for cleans.) I have heard JJ preamp tubes highly recommended (reduces fizziness.) Resonance control set to tight (helps with flub.) All these things probably will help, but maybe its just not the right amp for your sound. Upgrades this extensive will cost more money than it may be worth to you.
^ It may cost more but I'll have to check, the speakers at this place cost about half the amp and a set of 2 cheap tubes are about $100 or less. If it does cost more I'll just try out another amp but I'll for sure try everything you just mentioned.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP