So, I'm trying to build up my picking speed. Any exercises you would recommend? The only picking exercise I really know of is a Paul Gilbert lick that goes:

E-----------------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------------------------
G--7-------------------------7-------------------------7-----
A------10--8--7--8--10---------10--8--7--8--10------
E-------------------------------------------------------

Etc.
Quote by GetOutOfMyYard
So, I'm trying to build up my picking speed. Any exercises you would recommend? The only picking exercise I really know of is a Paul Gilbert lick that goes:

Etc.

You could try Vai's 10 hour workout
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/steve_vai/10-hour_guitar_workout_tab.htm
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
Quote by GetOutOfMyYard

Etc.

sweet excersise...im playing it now.
Quote by DieKrupps
sweet excersise...im playing it now.

The note on the 7th fret is an upstroke, by the way.
Quote by DieKrupps
both the 7th and the 10th are both up-strokes. gains momentome. (sp) lol....

The whole point of the exercise is alternate picking, not economy picking. Good suggestion though.
Quote by GetOutOfMyYard
The whole point of the exercise is alternate picking, not economy picking. Good suggestion though.

meh lol....

A------10--9--7--9--10---------10--9--7--9--10------

thats harder for me anyway... changes the angle of my wrist aswell.
e|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|----------------------------------------------------------------------7-9-10-12-10-9-10-12-|
D|----------------------------------------------6-7-9-10-9-7-9-10------------------------------|
A|----------------------5-7-8-10-8-7-8-10------------------------------------------------------|
E|-4-5-7-8-7-5-7-8------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Continued-

---------------------------------10-12-13-12-10-------------------------------------
-9-10-12-13-12-10-12-13----------------------13-12-10-9-10-12-10-9-------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continued-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
-12-10-9-7-9-10-9-7-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
---------------------------10-9-7-6-7-9-7-6--------------------------------------------------|
-------------------------------------------------10-8-7-5-7-8-7-5----------------------------|
-----------------------------------------------------------------------8-7-5-4-5-7-5-4-7-5~-|

Okay Alt pick this, ONE finger per fret, start slowly and confidently insuring an even and constant tempo.

This riff is extremely good for building speed, I tabbed it from memory so I'm not sure if it's accurate, it should be though.

Remember use an metronome!

- Paul
Things to be done by fall of 2007:
- Perfect Gutturals -
- Perfect Sweeps -
- Buy Engl RItchie Blackmore Head -
- Learn Black Metal CacoDaemonic Screams -
I noticed an insane improvement on my picking technique after starting piano, but I'm left handed and play right so that may not apply to all. But if you're stuck, Steve Vai's workout is definitely your best bet.
Tiger style.
Just go through scales tremolo picking 16th notes with a metronome and increase the speed.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by kevinm4435
I noticed an insane improvement on my picking technique after starting piano, but I'm left handed and play right so that may not apply to all. But if you're stuck, Steve Vai's workout is definitely your best bet.

So, I guess I'll just pull out some exercises and start working on them? There's no way I could manage 10 hours a day...
Watch John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. Its on YouTube and Google Video. He shows you some crazy stuff.
Be cool.
Quote by JohnnyPaul
Just go through scales tremolo picking 16th notes with a metronome and increase the speed.

Thats what I was going to say....2 birds with one stone....scale work and speed drill!!