Hey, I'm getting a new guitar in early November, and I can't decide between a Jackson Rhoads, or a Dean ML Dimebag sig. I'm thinking of a Dean, but I've always wanted a V, and I know that Rhoads shapes are simular to the ESP Saw Tooth Alexi Laiho Signature but .. iunno. And with the Dean, the shape is awesomely awesome and I wanna start the Dimebag sh*t like squeals and sh*t. Can someone help me out? and can someone also tell me what kinda pickups are recommended instead of the Duncans on the Jackson.
what type of jackson and what type of dean ? Like rr3, or what? also, is it a dimebag signature model, or just an ML?
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
whats wrong w/ the pups on the jackson? theyre pretty good in my opinion. anyways, im gonna compare the FBD dime guitar and.... this rhoads http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_jackson_rr3_rhoads_pro_electric_guitar?full_sku=103640355
cus those are the two ive played before of those two. definitely the dean for me. the shape on the ML kicks soo much more ass and the mahogany is a lot better than the rhoads' alder. also, the ML's neck is a little bit thicker, and a lot rounder, its seriously the perfect size for me, but i'd check em out if i were you
personally, i find mahognany to make for a heavey ass guitar, and the shape of the ml is a little awkward for me. plus i find the offset v shape to be totally sweet
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

There are Rhodes models that come with Floyds which will allow you to do those dimebag squeals.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
i guess it depends on what your playing. I've heard some complaints about the FBD ML, but it seems like a good guitar for the price. The ML seems more for playing heavy, downtuned riffs, while the Rhoads seems like a shredders axe, built for sweeps and solos.
Quote by bass-man9712

Quote by sobeisbull
whats wrong w/ the pups on the jackson? theyre pretty good in my opinion. anyways, im gonna compare the FBD dime guitar and.... this rhoads http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_jackson_rr3_rhoads_pro_electric_guitar?full_sku=103640355
cus those are the two ive played before of those two. definitely the dean for me. the shape on the ML kicks soo much more ass and the mahogany is a lot better than the rhoads' alder. also, the ML's neck is a little bit thicker, and a lot rounder, its seriously the perfect size for me, but i'd check em out if i were you

So about how much are the Dean MLs? Dimebag signatures or just plain a ML?
Quote by Sirwinston89
what type of jackson and what type of dean ? Like rr3, or what? also, is it a dimebag signature model, or just an ML?

I'm thinking of the RR3, and with the ML just a Dimebag signature like a Dime-O-Flage or the new Warbird or the Far Beyond Driven models. Would you have any knowledge about hom much the Deans cost?
Dude same boat as you. I've always loved the rhoads shape. I thought I was gonna get it but when I played the dean ml I had to get it. So here I am with the fbd. If you haven't tested them yet, test them.

If you have then its up to you my friend. Both great axes. One thing to consider is on the rr3 its a bolt on. The dime dean ml's are set necks except for the camo one(bolt on). Unless your planning to get a rr1, rr5.
Quote by 3rd Eye
Dude same boat as you. I've always loved the rhoads shape. I thought I was gonna get it but when I played the dean ml I had to get it. So here I am with the fbd. If you haven't tested them yet, test them.

If you have then its up to you my friend. Both great axes. One thing to consider is on the rr3 its a bolt on. The dime dean ml's are set necks except for the camo one(bolt on). Unless your planning to get a rr1, rr5.

Is it the Warbird ML that has the bolt on?
Nope the dime of flage is the bolt on. Besides that one, all the dime models are set neck.

edit: also forgot the black dbd tribute ml is also bolt on.
Last edited by 3rd Eye at Oct 14, 2007,
i don't like dean's, so i would say the jackson, it may be awkward sitting down, but you'd get used to it, and the duncans on that one are fine, JB/ Jazz setup, if you don't like that Duncan custom 5/ '59 , or something like that
all of the dimebag deans are ****. unless you buy one for $3000, you will not find a good buy from dean. their floyd wears down easily and their necks feel cheap. the supposedly solid mahogany body is suspiciously lighter than most mahogany guitars. the Dimebucker is the worst pickup i have ever used. it has no midrange, making it terrible for anything other than Pantera's music.

i'm not gonna tell you what to do, but i highly recommend saving some extra money and getting a higher end jackson like an RR1 or KV2 or even an Ibanez or ESP of some sort. if you buy a Dean, you will hate yourself and once you realize how ****ty the pickups in the dean are, you will change the pickups.

if doing squeals is what you are worried about, jackson, ibanez, and ESP should suit you just as well, if not better than the Dean, for that. also, these companies use considerably better pickups in their instruments: ie, JB/jazz Seymours, EMG 81/85/60, Dimarzio.

again, i highly advise against the Dean guitars. as cool as dime was is how ****ty his guitars are.
Quote by metallifan1
all of the dimebag deans are ****. unless you buy one for $3000, you will not find a good buy from dean. their floyd wears down easily and their necks feel cheap. the supposedly solid mahogany body is suspiciously lighter than most mahogany guitars. the Dimebucker is the worst pickup i have ever used. it has no midrange, making it terrible for anything other than Pantera's music.

i'm not gonna tell you what to do, but i highly recommend saving some extra money and getting a higher end jackson like an RR1 or KV2 or even an Ibanez or ESP of some sort. if you buy a Dean, you will hate yourself and once you realize how ****ty the pickups in the dean are, you will change the pickups.

if doing squeals is what you are worried about, jackson, ibanez, and ESP should suit you just as well, if not better than the Dean, for that. also, these companies use considerably better pickups in their instruments: ie, JB/jazz Seymours, EMG 81/85/60, Dimarzio.

again, i highly advise against the Dean guitars. as cool as dime was is how ****ty his guitars are.

Well thanks for your opinions. I really like the looks and sound of the Razorbacks, and I'd also get the Dean Warbird. And if any of these pickups suck, I could simply switch them to EMG's. I'm more of a riff-ripper (just made that up), and someone on here said ML's/Razorbacks are for downtuned heavy riffs and that's me. And Jackson's are for soloing. Currently, I can't sweep and all that but I'm working on that.