I couldn't find a thread on this so i though i might make one....

i know that bassist can boil their strings and it makes them like new... but i have been told that Eddie VanHalen boiled his strings and sun dried them, not sure if this is true... but does anyone do this ? what does it do ?

Thanks for your time and help....
It ruins your strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
When you boil your strings, a lot of the gunk and rust sheds off, so it sounds better afterwards, but I never bothered doing that seeings how buying new strings isn't really that much money.
Yeah, your time would probably be better spent just buying new strings and using em to practice. I've never heard of it, but bronze/nickel can certainly be boiled without too much adverse affect. At worst you might end up relaxing the winding around the string and ruining it, but they were dead anyway.

On a side note, Sun Dried Strings sounds like a snack food
k thanks guys.... i can afford a 5 dollar pair of strings, just wasnt sure if there was any real benifit from sound or anything like that

thanks for the help
Quote by JohnTheGr8
k thanks guys.... i can afford a 5 dollar pair of strings, just wasnt sure if there was any real benifit from sound or anything like that

thanks for the help

you buy strings in pairs?
Quote by SchecterFreak
like i said..i feel like a dumass... oh!!! man you are refering to your abreviated name wow..i really feel stupid *blushes* god... sorry USHO.

man i feel like a **** now...
Quote by Garou1911

On a side note, Sun Dried Strings sounds like a snack food

I don't know... maybe if you added salt? Regular dry roasted strings probably don't taste that good...

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by philipp122
I don't know... maybe if you added salt? Regular dry roasted strings probably don't taste that good...

lol add some artificial flavoring and there you go!
Hi JohnTheGr8 ,
you could use a fingerease spray (or any other brand) and dont forget the front and back of the strings .
this could save you some mony if you have expensive strings.

ps
it also makes it easier to play
Surprised few of you have heard of this. I remember reading about it in a thread a few years back. I forget where I read it, but there are more people than I thought who boil new strings too.
Quote by Idiot_Son
i went to the pub. the look on the bartenders faces when they realised theyd been serving me alcohol illegally for the past two years was priceless.

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
DoGaLog, i think youv jst owned everyone on this thread and well done.
mmmmmm salty sun dried strings, sounds like something a gas station would sell lol

Yea my Brother uses some kind of string lube on his strings every once in a while.... I try to replace mine every 2 months if i can cause I'm so busy but i usually get a set of 10 guage or 11 like the Dunlop Zakk Wylde heavy series or just a pack of Misfits

I played a little back in high school but found i sucked compared to my friends and just kinda dropped it but I've picked up playing the past 4 months and gettin a lil better.... I'm glad to say i can play Laid To Rest by Lamb Of God pretty well

Just the dang sweep picking im having trouble with, but i showed up a guy at guitar center the other day cause he could do sweep picking really well, but not pinch harmonics.... should have seen his face when i pulled a dimebag sqweel on him , i tried to show him, but he just couldnt get it... he must have just played classical all his life or something

Thanks Again for your help guys
Last edited by JohnTheGr8 at Oct 16, 2007,
Quote by GraceKim
Eddie Van Halen boils his strings and then dries them in the sun to prevent rust.

When I put on new strings, especially heavier strings, they seem a little stiff for the first day. The boiling of the strings resolves this problem. For me, I just play with stiff strings for the first day. Eddie puts on new strings prior to every performance; hence, the need for boiling.

so by stiff. they feel tight when there tuned up like they should be?

my friend bought a set of strings and is afraid of snapping his low e string when he tunes up to standard c

and i just restrung my guitar minetes ago

they feel tight.

same thing?
"The grass is always greener on the other side..."
Quote by tetsuma
Bass work is just as important as guitar work, its people who dont understand this who fail.
Strings are cheap just buy new ones and stop being tight lol
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
We've official decided on America's next greatest snack food and that you shouldn't boil strings to restore them.

However, feel free to boil them, salt them, maybe add some dry hot sauce powder as seasoning.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
you can boil your strings, but be careful when taking them out of the water, you may ruin them.
Quote by Moggan13
*Kicks down door*
WHO SAID RAMBO 3!!???
In the October edition of the Guitarist magazine there was a whole Eddie van Halen thing. All of it on the EVH Frankenstein. In the interview he said he boiled his strings so that is in fact true.
i took em out of the pack boiled them in oil, to prevent rust and all that, wiped em pretty clean but for a month or so they still had an oily residue which was kinda cool cuz they were pretty slick, tone seemed farely the same, just one thing... do not, DO NOT!!, put any water (hot or cold) on or in (or even near) the boiling pot of oil with the strings in it. I didnt know the physiochemical reactions of hot oil and water, and thus almost burnt my hands to raw bone marrow... in other words, the ****ing pot exploded when i poured water in it to cool it off, i still have that pot and it is cracked and all ****ed up, my parents thought a gas line blew in our house.
^Yep. Fire safty 101, water + hot oil = ER visit

Hm. Never considered hot 'n spicy sun dried strings...... What about salt n' vinegar or BBQ?
i know eddie van halen does boil his strings before he puts them on his guitar. thats only so they get stretched out and break in faster. other than that i dont think theres a reason to do it and i think it makes em rust faster
wait

do you mean boilieng them before putting them on or taking them off then boiling and putting them back on again?
Quote by farcry
the first time I've ever been sigged, and it had to be about a butthole. My dad would be proud.
Eddie Van Halen boiled his strings prior to each show. It wasn't for restoration or anything though, he did it for tone and he only would use the strings for one show before boiling a new set.
people of the boiling strings thread look no further as i have the answer.

i read an article in the clasic rock magazine and it said that eddie van halen used to boil his strings to get all the oil grime and gunk off them. this was at the start of his career when he was very tight for cash so stick ya used strings a pan and boil em for 20 mintues dry them in the sun or other means and bobs ya uncle