Forgive me, I know this has been done a million times. I am just looking for the best and most effective ways to become a more speedy bassist. I am not very fast as it is and I am trying to get better at it. Thanks for any help.
u could start using your ring finger when you pick as well. it is a slightly difficult skill but if you can do you, you'll be able to play faster. also, build up your finger strength on your picking hand, get a stress ball or something or even squeeze a tennis ball.
GAS List:
Nothing
Do all the ones said above.
and while you're practicing with the metronome you bought
you play every note up and down on the bass.
and you keep going on each BPM
that's what i do.
pick a speed to do your excersise at that is easily done, then play it like 5 or so times
then go up 2 BPM and no more than 2 at a time
you can not even notice the difference...after a while you will be like 30 clicks higher...eventually you will hit a plateau that you cannot play any fast with our messing up..... back the click off 4 BPM then play that one for ever
next day do the same thing but start at the half way point of the previous session, the goal should be to get a little bit faster each day, but if nopt you shoudl at least get to the same speed

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Buy a metronome. Play things at slow speed, work your way up, don't skip a bpm you can't play cleanly.

To expand on Ben's and Narcotics comments.

Accuracy > speed. You need to remember this equation. Always remember to not go faster until you can play something accurately and with a good full tone.

Narcotics suggestion of 5 times is a good suggestion, but remember that should be five times consistently. Playing scales and arpeggio patterns up and down the neck, while mind numbing to some, can be a great way to build up that speed. But remember, always practice with the metronome to maintain your timing!
Quote by anarkee
To expand on Ben's and Narcotics comments.

Accuracy > speed. You need to remember this equation. Always remember to not go faster until you can play something accurately and with a good full tone.

Narcotics suggestion of 5 times is a good suggestion, but remember that should be five times consistently. Playing scales and arpeggio patterns up and down the neck, while mind numbing to some, can be a great way to build up that speed. But remember, always practice with the metronome to maintain your timing!

That's an inequality

I'm not going to mess with Anarkee though. If I remember right, didn't you say you were born and/or raised in Pittsburgh? That's where I'm from, hometown pride FTW. To the TS, a metronome is key, just like she said. Listen to her, she's very knowledgable.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Yeah, the secret to speed is having developing a strong muscle memory, which is done almost counter-intuitively by playing slower than you'd even feel necessary and using very precise and purposeful movements to play the lines or exercises you're working on. And again, slowly, very slowly speed up, it's essential to use a metronome for this. Eventually you'll build speed, and you can actually do it quicker than just trying to thrash every song at full speed, plus you'll have built accuracy into your playing which will go a long way.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Minimise the movement of both hands, so that you use fewer muscles.

Check out a player called Gary Willis for tips on how to.
Quote by Your41Plague12
That's an inequality

I'm not going to mess with Anarkee though. If I remember right, didn't you say you were born and/or raised in Pittsburgh? That's where I'm from, hometown pride FTW. To the TS, a metronome is key, just like she said. Listen to her, she's very knowledgable.

I'm from Pittsburgh originally, too!

Go Steelers!
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/