I've noticed I play better when I'm not looking at the fretboard. It's like I feel more confident, the fingers just go to their destiny instead of being worried about putting my fingers on right places (wich is what happens when I play looking the fretboard).

Am I the only one with this problem?
I can do that too. Once I'm familiar with the song/area that I'm playing, I can play better while I'm looking away and just letting my brain think about my fingers
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
it's a problem because it seems I really suck while looking the fretboard but I'm normal while not looking it.
it lets the emotional feeling be more intense if your not looking at it...thats why some players evan close their eyes when striking a bend.........because if you close your eyes your ears have more sense ?...lol or am i wierd.
Just play blindfolded all the time. Even at gigs.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
In other words... I can't relax while looking at the fretboard the way I relax why not looking at it. As you most likely know, the most relaxed you are, the better you play.
just don't look at the fretboard. trust me it's a lot better than the opposite.
Quote by OThugSd
Just play blindfolded all the time. Even at gigs.

Try not to fall off the stage..........

i suck more while not looking at the fret board............
One of my guitar instruction books recommended to play in complete darkness for a while on occasion so you won't be focused on playing something based on numbers, but more on feel.

That being said, I believe guitar is just as much about feel, as it is visually. My latest guitar teacher always said to look where you are going to slide/ascend/descend and you will be much more likely to land on the right note. I found this to be very helpful, and since then I've made a huge improvment; all because I started looking to future notes.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Generally speaking I can play any given riff or solo perfectly if I'm not looking, especially so when I'm focused on something else entirely; conversely, if I start looking at the fretboard, or even just start focusing on what I'm playing, my ability goes to **** and I'll **** up on every single bar.

It's pretty annoying actually. People get fed up with your playing if you always seem to zone out while you're doing it, no matter how good you are. Seeming to not care kills it.
lol...i just shaved my head before my hair would cover my face so i could watch the fretboard all i want...

practice playing in the dark as well! it's pretty challenging with a new song. EDIT: DAMN, BEAT ME TO MY ADVICE MESAEXPLORER
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Oct 14, 2007,
i just do whatever. sometimes i look, sometimes i dont. if im moving around a lot, ill probably look so i dont get too lost. i find im looking less and less though.

another thing thats weird is that i dont actually stand up a lot while playing. but when i stand, i actually play better.
actually theres a thing where hte one side of your brain tries to figure out something or htink of a solution by looking at it (your physical sense) and then theres the other side which is your senses that dont rely on vision but what happens is that your head gets confused and you screw up beucase your one side of hte brain wants you to do something at this time while the other side wants you to do it at one time also the creative side when it gets used to the song will remember it soo it will get timeing perfectly and with some people this thery works with most but others it doesnt its more of a brain thing
Quote by convictionless
actually theres a thing where hte one side of your brain tries to figure out something or htink of a solution by looking at it (your physical sense) and then theres the other side which is your senses that dont rely on vision but what happens is that your head gets confused and you screw up beucase your one side of hte brain wants you to do something at this time while the other side wants you to do it at one time also the creative side when it gets used to the song will remember it soo it will get timeing perfectly and with some people this thery works with most but others it doesnt its more of a brain thing

holy run on sentance batman.
Quote by convictionless
i know but this is a forum and theres no rule saying no run on sentances hahahaha.

True, but poor grammar makes it hard to read, which makes people than likely read your full response, and you won't get as much help or criticism as possible.

Oh, and it makes you look dumb even if you have a good point.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
True, but poor grammar makes it hard to read, which makes people than likely read your full response, and you won't get as much help or criticism as possible.

Oh, and it makes you look dumb even if you have a good point.

I agree

*snicker* "sentances"
It was said twice -_-

And, yeah, if you stare at the fretboard, you're probably more likely to think in numbers and shapes rather than musically.
When I bust out a jazz solo I close my eyes or look at the band. Otherwise, I'll end up playing shapes and modes with the chords. It'll hit a G in an F blues and I will play Dorian, regardless of whatnot. When I look away I can actually think and hear musically.
but playing while looking straight at the fretboard with ur head tilted forward is a bedroom youtube guitar player status... which is really noobish looking to me.

i play looking somewhere else, or just my eyes closed when i play.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by frusciante.ve
As you most likely know, the most relaxed you are, the better you play.

+1. I find that looking at the fretboard makes me think more, and I don't like to think at all when I'm playing.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
I think it has to do with thinking too much about what you are going to do. If I think "okay I should place my finger there", I'll be too late. If I don't think about what I should do and just let my muscle memory guide me I'm fine, but the second I begin to think I mess up.
WTLTL 2011
I guess for my case, and i think it aplys to most people is that when we first start to learn a song, its only nature not to be able to play it without looking at our fingers. but then like if u can play it better with out looking at the fretboard, ur good to go.
Ibanez JEM 555 WH Maroon finish
w/ orginal chrome floyd rose
Taylor Acoustic
Digitech Metal Distortion Pedal
Digitech Grunge Pedal
Fender 40w amp

Quote:

Question: Are Ibanez JEM 555 WH for metal?

Reply: Is a coconut brown?
I guess for my case, and i think it aplys to most people is that when we first start to learn a song, its only nature not to be able to play it without looking at our fingers. but then like if u can play it better with out looking at the fretboard, ur good to go.
Ibanez JEM 555 WH Maroon finish
w/ orginal chrome floyd rose
Taylor Acoustic
Digitech Metal Distortion Pedal
Digitech Grunge Pedal
Fender 40w amp

Quote:

Question: Are Ibanez JEM 555 WH for metal?

Reply: Is a coconut brown?
Its called muscle memory... It happens when you play something a lot such as a chord, scale, and/or song

So props for playing way too much...
And while we are on topic with muscle memory anyway, this is the same thing that causes "speed".

In the beginning your muscles just aren't used to that type of movement that fast. If you do it a lot it'll become as easy as raising a finger.
Gear
- ESP Ltd Viper-200
- Peavey Valve King 212

Quote by DC METAL666
You know you're a guitar player when you finger your fretboard more than your girlfriend
I always advise practicing in the dark, I was doing that 30 years ago to keep from looking at the fretboard all the time for two reasons.

1. You get to know your way around the neck really well if you can't see it.
2. Audiences really like it if you look at THEM now and then instead of always staring at your guitar...

I've said it before, I'll say it again, definitely practice in the dark at least occasionally, learn some simple stuff, then some tougher ones, and I promise your playing will improve in general. It started with me because I was wondering how the hell Jose Feliciano managed to play the fabulous guitar he did when he was totally blind, same for Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder on keyboards, and I wondered if I could play if I couldn't see the guitar, so I set up in a totally dark room and tried it...I really sucked bad...but I kept at it for about a year until I could play some pretty tough pieces in complete darkness. Peter Frampton's "Penny For Your Thoughts" was the eventual goal, and I learned it first in daylight, then practiced it in the dark until I could play every note. And my playing in general improved a lot in the process.

I think the reason has already been posted, when you don't look, you're going more on feel than thinking about it. Onstage I look sometimes, look at the audiece sometimes, make faces occasionally, and close my eyes sometimes, no particular pattern to it, just whatever feels good to me.

Practice in the dark. You won't regret it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I am so gunna do that.

I can play without looking at the fretboard if it's a song i've been playing for a long time, other than that....**** that for a laugh.
Play with a plaster cross on each eye and you'll be the guy of the show.

Seriously, if you can play without looking at the fretboard and you know what you're doing, then better, 'cause you can focus more on the music than just on playing the right thing.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby