Page 1 of 2
Hey, I go to a gay military school and i have nothing better to do so i wanted to ask people on UG a question about life. I tend to think of myself as a very rebellios (cants spell) person but i usually have reasons. Adults do not view my behavior as "justified" or "necessary" but i think that it is what all people would do in my position. I think that adults act like adults because they get the respect of being adults. I think that if teenagers were not looked down upon and regarded as inferior we wouldnt be as rebellios as we are. Do I think this because I am ignorant or is there some validity to my thoughts?
Teenagers are still children, you're not mature enough to be treated like an adult.
Quote by Fradiation
in what way are we children?

in the way that you're not an adult
You are somewhat correct, because there are some cultures in the world where the concept of teenage rebellion is absolutely non-existent and teenagers don't go through the rebellious stage that we know. I don't know how much of that is related to inferiority though
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Well, you were born to parents, so technically everyone is a child.

Anyways, most teenagers just obsess over being popular, getting drunk, sex, etc and can't have a good serious conversation so they're not mature. It's hard to like someone/respect them if they seem a lot more immature than you.
Quote by Fradiation
Hey, I go to a gay military school

Gay as an insult? Or a military school attended by homosexuals such as yourself.
I felt the same way back when I was hitting puberty. With all due respect, I do believe that teenagers can make mature decisions etc, and I absolutely believe that they should be treated with the same respect as any other human being on this planet. However, teenagers aren't fully developed yet, and therefore not adults. That's the end of story, you can't expect to be treated like an adult if you aren't one. You won't treat a mouse as if it were an elephant, now would you?
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
Quote by Scarlet_Fever

Gay as an insult? Or a military school attended by homosexuals such as yourself.

insult
The majority of teenage rebellion, whether they think they have reason or not, IS extremely unnecessary and rather pointless.
"Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true, and beautiful"
You sound like an annoying bratty teenager who has no idea how well virtues like discipline, hard work, and respect will matter in the real world.
Quote by Scarlet_Fever

Thats a pretty good reason too, the most intelligent thing most kids can call each other seems to be "fag" or "gay...grow up

Edit: this is directed at the TS
"Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true, and beautiful"
Im 15, but I think of myself as a very responsible, mature person. I can easily have a conversation with one of my parents and I never try to "act rebellious". I also talk with adults at my martial arts.
There's some truth in what you say, a lot of 'kids' of 16/17 want and deserve a lot more respect and responsibility than their given, but there's also a lot of things that make the issue very vague, in so much, there's MASSES of kids of 16/17 who are just fuck ups with no sense of right or wrong, who couldn't tie their ****ing shoes if they were paid to...

And as such, the minority of kids who deserve that little extra, don't get shit. That's life, get used to it.
Quote by Fradiation
Do I think this because I am ignorant or is there some validity to my thoughts?

If you hadn't got it already:

Ignorant.
i changed my quesstion.. What determines how someone should axt? yeah i agree that teenagers don't meet standards that adults want them to meet but does that mean they're quot on quote not as developed or just different?
Quote by Fradiation
so age is the only thing that determines if a person is respectable or not?

it's the easiest identifier unless you want to legislate with intangibles.
Quote by Fradiation
so age is the only thing that determines if a person is respectable or not?

Hahaha, no, I don't respect a lot of old people. Bill O'Reilly is pretty old

Edit: Oh, you said respectable. No, I respect a lot of people that are younger than me.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Last edited by figsandbobo at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by Fradiation
i changed my quesstion.. What determines how someone should axt? yeah i agree that teenagers don't meet standards that adults want them to meet but does that mean they're quot on quote not as developed or just different?

I really don't know what determines how someone axt.
It really just depends on how you act. If you act rebellious. Teenagers view some paren'ts as rebellious. So, it's really on how you act. So, you act rebellious...then you will be seen that way. What are we even talking about???
Quote by Fradiation

Soceity says age.

Fall in line you 'rebel'
Quote by severed-metal
What are we even talking about???

I have no idea. The thread is titled Anarchy?, but his post said nothing about Anarchy. I have no idea what he is trying to say.
im only 14, and im more mature than you. thats why im not in military school.

i dont wanna be treated like an adult though. im not one.

Jack my swag
Quote by IronMaiden5
I have no idea. The thread is titled Anarchy?, but his post said nothing about Anarchy. I have no idea what he is trying to say.

He's trying to show he tries to rage against the machine but the man keeps pulling him down.
well it really depends on society around you....i mean here in the United States...most students like to rebel just to rebel....i saw a kid the other day wearing a Ernesto Guevara t-shirt and when i asked him if he knew who he was...he told me the lead singer of Rage against the machine.....A lot of teenagers are very ignorant to society around them and adults just pretty much have authority because of their expierence and knowledge of society....

I come from Colombia and yes many students rebel but not to just rebel...we are a third world country and just like many others... the students need 2 rebel just in order to get a good education without the military sticking their noses in.....Just you putting anarchy as the title suggests that your not rly conscious about society since the true meaning of anarchy can not even be put in here.

Try not to think of your parents or teachers as a strong means of authority you can challenge
Quote by gopherthegreat
im only 14, and im more mature than you. thats why im not in military school.

i dont wanna be treated like an adult though. im not one.

yea with that logic everyone in the military is immature.. good try though
Quote by Scarlet_Fever
He's trying to show he tries to rage against the machine but the man keeps pulling him down.

Ahh, I see how he is trying to be "rebellios " by posting on UG about the man bringing him down.
Quote by Fradiation

well i dont call my school 'gay' and i dont expect to be treated like an adult even though i am not one.

Jack my swag
I don't equate age with being deserving of respect, because there are so many asshole-y adults. But for the most part, adult behavior is held to a higher standard than teenagers, so teenagers don't feel the need to act "mature". Which is fine by me, I don't want to deal with all that yet.
Quote by EvilMonkeySG3
Thats a pretty good reason too, the most intelligent thing most kids can call each other seems to be "fag" or "gay...grow up

Edit: this is directed at the TS

It's not like "gay" inherently means homosexual, why can't people use it as an insult too?
i understand that teens arent yet adults but i somewhat understand where the TS is coming from. just because we arent fully matured adults doesnt mean that we are just all rebels that are inferior to adults. you shouldnt judge a book by its cover. just because someone is a teenager, doesnt necessarily mean they are immature troublemakers. some are and some arent. frankly, i think its becoming a great stereotype.
Quote by Fradiation

To be fair, you sound like a complete tool, with as much maturity as a bowl of spaghetti... So you're not really setting a shining example for military school are you.

I'm fucking 18, and I don't consider myself mature enough for half the responsiblities I have.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
To be fair, you sound like a complete tool, with as much maturity as a bowl of spaghetti... So you're not really setting a shining example for military school are you.

I'm fucking 18, and I don't consider myself mature enough for half the responsiblities I have.

youre right im a complete tool.. now whats wrong with being a "tool" (btw i dont think u meant tool because tools can be used by other people without doing what i saying i do.) i am only regarded as being immature because over the years society has bended to frown upon youth. now i am showing my immaturity and your getting a negative opinion of me is it not?
Teenagers opinions aren't as respected because most of them don't have as much basis for it as adults do, most rebellious teenages made their decisions after about a week of thinking about and left it at that. If I were to talk to a 15 year old anarchist/atheist type or a 30 year old one I'd probably end up respecting the 30 year old one more because he's had probably been thinking about it for 17 years as opposed to 2 years. Of course this is a generalisation, not all liberal teenagers are completely ignorant idiots, but It's just logical that if you've had far more experience in life and how the world actually does work as opposed to what you've seen on tv/movies/the couple books you might've read on the subject you're choices will seem more respectable and acceptable. I'm not saying that you can't have different opinions but stick to questionning authority and creating a firm basis for your opinions before going out into the world, expecting everyone you meet to respect you for not really doing anything at all.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
I find it funny that the people flaming the TS are being much more immature than the TS. I think they should be stripped of the respect they think they deserve and see whether they are happy about it. In fact thats the same with teenagers: they feel they deserve respect and are often not given it so they are naturally rebellious
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.
Quote by Craig01
I find it funny that the people flaming the TS are being much more immature than the TS. I think they should be stripped of the respect they think they deserve and see whether they are happy about it. In fact thats the same with teenagers: they feel they deserve respect and are often not given it so they are naturally rebellious

the key word is 'think'. just because someone thinks they deserve respect doesnt mean they actually do.

Jack my swag
a gay military school

what happend to dont ask dont tell?
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Page 1 of 2