Page 1 of 2
Ok lemme give yall the story first. My dad's friend's son got back from college last year, we had a big party to welcome him back home. They had a live band play and all and since the guy that was getting back from college had been playing guitar for TEN years, he played song with the band and played the Freebird solo at the end. Like two days after this my dad is like "You MUST start playing the guitar NOW." So he went and bought me a guitar and made me practice everyday. Eventually I actually got into it, and now I have been playing for a year and it is extremely fun. Most of the stuff I play is metal and classic rock. When my dad walked in one day and I was practicing scales and theory he was like "WTF are you doing, you NEED to be practicing Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Freebird, and KISS, and all the other bands that I used to like." I tried to explain to him that learning new songs is only like 20% of what a good guitarist does. And he is like "BULL****, practice the Freebird solo NOW." I've been working on Freebird, but I always tend to go back to the stuff I like which is metal, and he gets so pissed because he wants to hear stuff he likes, it is ridiculous. He expects me to be as good as the guy who has been playing for ten years, while I have been playing for one year. What do I do???
Why isn't HE learning the guitar?
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
Wow

Talk about over the top

He obviously knows nothing if he wants you to play freebird over doing things that are actually important
Tell him to **** right off because of his flawed logic.

Keep on practicing your scales.
ಥ_ಥ
Wait till he's asleep

Pull your amp into his room.

Put your Dist. on full.

Start palying some speed metal song. (Or Enter Sandman, lol)
Or even jsut start playing the 5th fret penatonic scale
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
I always tell him that he shouldn't be criticizing me when he can't even play guitar. But then is like "I don't, want to play guitar. I want YOU to play guitar for ME."
...friggin'......... FREEBIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least you get some encouragement. Although, you might just have your dad talk to that uber-cool guy that did play "Freebird" about learning guitar. Maybe then your dad would know how much time and really what needs to be learned.
Quote by ruler505
Ok lemme give yall the story first. My dad's friend's son got back from college last year, we had a big party to welcome him back home. They had a live band play and all and since the guy that was getting back from college had been playing guitar for TEN years, he played song with the band and played the Freebird solo at the end. Like two days after this my dad is like "You MUST start playing the guitar NOW." So he went and bought me a guitar and made me practice everyday. Eventually I actually got into it, and now I have been playing for a year and it is extremely fun. Most of the stuff I play is metal and classic rock. When my dad walked in one day and I was practicing scales and theory he was like "WTF are you doing, you NEED to be practicing Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Freebird, and KISS, and all the other bands that I used to like." I tried to explain to him that learning new songs is only like 20% of what a good guitarist does. And he is like "BULL****, practice the Freebird solo NOW." I've been working on Freebird, but I always tend to go back to the stuff I like which is metal, and he gets so pissed because he wants to hear stuff he likes, it is ridiculous. He expects me to be as good as the guy who has been playing for ten years, while I have been playing for one year. What do I do???

First of all, that's pretty funny. Second of all, that also sucks.
My advice to you is to just ignore it, my dad would always give me sh*t for playing music he didn't like. Try to get over it, ask him to show you how to play some of the songs. If he can't, then tell him that if he can't do it, then he should STFU about making you do it. If he CAN play it, however, then ask him why you have to know how since he already has it down.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
Tell him to buy his own guitar so he can play stuff that he wants to hear. And don't listen to him. Play what you want to play and don't let anyone else tell you what you should play.
yeah what revan1013 said is the my logical answer, just have fun with your guitar and play your metal music really loud so even if you do play freebird your dad wont be able to hear it anyway
Crescent-Punch in the groin should fix him.
45 days without my precious UG...
CURSE YOU LOLWUT PEAR!!!

Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army
Time to use the guitar for it's secondary function: to piss people off.

Crank up your amp and start laying down some badass metal. Rebel!
FUck him, learn Simple man
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
And oh yea when all his friends come over they make me play for them. One time I did some improvising over a natural minor scale and they are like "You suck, learn to play some Lynyrd Skynyrd." Then I started improvising minor pentatonic scales and they are like "Damn this kid actually is pretty good, that sounds like Freebird." It must just be a southern thing that makes people REALLY like the sound of pentatonic scales.
just learn the easy slide part in the beginning. that should make him leave you alone.

Jack my swag
Just learn Freebird for god's sake. Seriously, It's a fun song to play, always pisses off your band mates if you're playing the lead.
Quote by byob_soad2
play some slayer!

"Alright Dad, because you've been so supportive of my guitar playing let's invite the family over and I'll show you I can play freebird twice as good as that guy that did it."

And then when the family comes over play Angel of Death, complete with the scream at the intro.
Quote by H^2

Wise words Trashfan.

trashfan
Quote by Chubbychunks
It's not going to be that great. Although particle physics does give me a hadron.
Quote by ruler505
And oh yea when all his friends come over they make me play for them. One time I did some improvising over a natural minor scale and they are like "You suck, learn to play some Lynyrd Skynyrd." Then I started improvising minor pentatonic scales and they are like "Damn this kid actually is pretty good, that sounds like Freebird." It must just be a southern thing that makes people REALLY like the sound of pentatonic scales.

southern people like freebird

Jack my swag
most parents tend to want to listen to their kids play something the parent likes, my dad for instance loves it when i play Rush songs, which is fine by me because i love that band, but when i'll start shredding or playing metal or whatnot, he doesn't mind.

i say you should try and learn some stuff your dad likes, what harm could come of it? then when you play it for him he'll be all happy and he'll leave you alone, which is when you can start practicing whatever you want. it'll keep you both happy.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by LadyHellraiser
get off ug and practice for 8 hours a day

like me!

HAHA but you are on UG now.

i see the flaw in your logic, bwahahahahaha.

I'll go home now

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
Maybe you should be completely unappreciative of all he does for you, such as giving you a roof over your head, feeding you, buying you nice things...oh...wait...
Quote by Waterboy799
most parents tend to want to listen to their kids play something the parent likes, my dad for instance loves it when i play Rush songs, which is fine by me because i love that band, but when i'll start shredding or playing metal or whatnot, he doesn't mind.

i say you should try and learn some stuff your dad likes, what harm could come of it? then when you play it for him he'll be all happy and he'll leave you alone, which is when you can start practicing whatever you want. it'll keep you both happy.

+1. my dad lets me play whatever i want, but he loves when i play the who, springsteen, alice cooper, or the ramones (those are his favorite bands)

Jack my swag
And once I tried to tell him that Allen Collins is really not THAT great and Freebird is just a few licks repeated over and over, and that there are plenty of better soloes out there. Then he is like "It doesn't matter how good the guitarist is, it matters how many records he has sold and how many fans he has." I show him some Symphony X and he is like "Haha they may be good, but they can't sell records like Lynyrd Skynyrd!!! They suck!!!"
Quote by ruler505
And once I tried to tell him that Allen Collins is really not THAT great and Freebird is just a few licks repeated over and over, and that there are plenty of better soloes out there. Then he is like "It doesn't matter how good the guitarist is, it matters how many records he has sold and how many fans he has." I show him some Symphony X and he is like "Haha they may be good, but they can't sell records like Lynyrd Skynyrd!!! They suck!!!"

the correct response to that would have been "yea but symphony x didn't get pwnt in a plane crash"
Quote by ruler505

So I take it he's a Fall Out Boy fan?
Quote by ruler505

your dad contradicts himself

Jack my swag
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
the correct response to that would have been "yea but symphony x didn't get pwnt in a plane crash"

Lol good idea next time he tries to shove in my face how Allen Collins is like a guitar god I'm gonna tell him that.
ok bro play black label society its got some southern elements to it which your pops wil like and the metal you enjoy

try learning metalica then when your pop bitches at you just tell him the black album sold 12 million records way more than lynard skynard ever has
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by ruler505

What a douche. I'm sorry if that is your dad, but that is stupid. Freebird is pretty much just the same licks played over and over again and is not that amazing.
You might have to put up with his **** for awhile, even though he's obviously being a dick about it you should probably learn a song or two that he would like so he gets off your case whenever he decides to bother you.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
Quote by ruler505

your dad was probably raised listening to Skynyrd, it's a band HE likes and has grown accustomed to listening to for years and years, nothing you ever show him, especially metal, will be better than Skynyrd in his eyes.

i'll give you another example, my dad also loves classic rock and is completely turned off by metal. hell sometimes my dad and i take turns making fun of metal but the fact of the matter is you can't tell someone who's been listening to a band for decades that some other band is better.

also, your dad's not a guitarist so he really wouldn't know what's right and wrong when learning guitar, i agree he is being quite unfair and illogical, but give him some slack, he's got his opinions just like everyone else. explain to him how you'd rather learn to be the best guitarist you can be rather than the best album seller you can be.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Keep playing your scales.

Don't be afraid to be musically diverse. It is a good thing to play (and enjoy!) many different types of music. Just don't let him tell you what to do. Don't let him send you in a direction you don't want to go.
next time your dad starts bitching at you, tell him music is about revolution and screwing with the man. thatll learn him.
ehh
Quote by Waterboy799
Explain to him how you'd rather learn to be the best guitarist you can be rather than the best album seller you can be.

Yea I have tried to do this many many times. His response is "It doesn't matter how good you are, if you don't sell millions of albums, you suck." He goes to bars every Saturday night and sees all these bands that play Southern Rock covers and comes home and is like "Why are you trying to write your own stuff???? You NEED to be learning more Sknynrd and ZZ Top covers so that you can play in a bar one day."
Quote by Virgil_Hart05

I concur.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Page 1 of 2