I'm having trouble with Philosophy homework, and I've looked all over the internet, read my textbook and racked my brain for hours. So finally, in an act of utter desperation, I'm turning to you guys, hoping that at least one of you guys knows about Philosophy.

My question is: Would Descartes have thought that his having the idea of a salad bowl proves that a salad bowl exists?

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Originally posted by Camakazie:

On my gravestone i want jesus and satan fighting with lightsabers. Or a big hand pointing to the grave next to me saying "I'm with stupid"

Superman of the UG heroes and villans club, P.M. josh999x to join
The idea of a salad bowl proves nothing more than the existence of an idea of a salad bowl in our mind only.

The only absolute truths are what is in our mind. I think, I exist. We can prove our existence, but we cannot prove others existence.
All that exists is within our minds.
Therefore, the physical apparation of the salad bowl proves nothing but, in essence, that his mind was producing it

Does this mean he thought it existed?

I don't know.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by The Madcap
We can prove our existence, but we cannot prove others existence.

I can, but I'm not telling anyone how.....
Well, the salad bowl does not think as far as we know, so therefore it cannot be proved as existing.
Quote by The Madcap
The idea of a salad bowl proves nothing more than the existence of an idea of a salad bowl in our mind only.

The only absolute truths are what is in our mind. I think, I exist. We can prove our existence, but we cannot prove others existence.

But Descartes proves that "God" exists - something to do with formal reality... bah.
Why can't my Philosophy professor speak English well?
Originally posted by Camakazie:

On my gravestone i want jesus and satan fighting with lightsabers. Or a big hand pointing to the grave next to me saying "I'm with stupid"

Superman of the UG heroes and villans club, P.M. josh999x to join
Quote by nosushi4you
Well, the salad bowl does not think as far as we know, so therefore it cannot be proved as existing.
Even it it did think, it could only prove it's existence to itself. I couldn't prove it exists just because it is believed to think.
I am by no means a Philosophy wizard, but didn't Descartes start with the process of doubting the existence of everything, until he could have his smallest unit of truth to build his philosophy from?

He proved his own existence by stating that the very fact that we was doubting (or thinking) logically proved that something had to be doing the doubting or thinking. So he built upon it from that.

Descartes then proved God, by stating that an imperfect being (human) cannot come up with an idea of perfection by itself, it must come from a higher power. Also, the idea of a perfect being (God) implies existence - something cannot be perfect and not exist.

So....I think (but could be very wrong here), that after he'd 'proved' these facts, he would think that the idea of a salad bowl does prove it's existence, as it's purpose implies existence and could not simply have been conjured up - it's irrational. If it was prior to his Discourse on Methods, then his thoughts would not have proved it's existence.
Does having the idea of god in your mind make god exist? no it does not.
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
Haha - I'm stating Descartes' claims, and very simplified. He believed that a human that is imperfect and limited (bound by time and space) could not come up with the idea of a perfect and limitless being of it's own accord, it must come from something outside of his frame of reference.

I do believe in God, but I do think this philosophical approach to it is very flawed. Anyhow, not the religion thread, so I'll leave it at that.
well it would mean yes and no.

the concept of it exists in his head, but in reality it does not exist until one puts it in a physical form.

for instance, a guitar that can morph into a standard, seven string, bass (4 and 5 string) by voice command.

the concept exists in my head, but surely does not exist in physical form.
Rainbow
(I'm not gay)