Hello everyone,

I am new to guitar and I have been wanting to learn a few power chords to play basic songs.

Problem is that I have ulna nerve palsy on my left hand/arm, Its from a really bad broken arm I had a while back, So with this I cannot feel my Pinky Or Half of my Ring finger (I can use my ring finger, Its just kinda hard). I cant use my Pinky at all, I can straigten it but not bend it to a string or even close too.

Is there anything I can do other then go buy a left handed guitar to learn to play?

I would also like advice on just playing basic stuff without a pinky (is this even possible?)

I will be trying to play some new rock/punk/metal. (like every 16 year old kid =) )

Thanks for any help guys!
You can play power chords with index and middle, or with index and ring.
Chances are that if you're into metal, you'll need your pinky eventually, if you ever want to get into shred.

But yeah. You might want to go into therapy to regain control of your fingers, or maybe just switch out a few parts on your guitar and convert it to a left-handed guitar.

Sorry to hear about your accident though.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
You're best bet would be to learn how to play left handed. You could manage without your pinky, but later on you'll find it severely limiting to your progress.
=((( ok well i have went to therapy for many months (almost 9) and they say it wont get any better then it is, Its not clawed anymore but i have very little use of it.

What would i have to change to make it LH? I have a Mex Fender Strat
Quote by ArK9
=((( ok well i have went to therapy for many months (almost 9) and they say it wont get any better then it is, Its not clawed anymore but i have very little use of it.

What would i have to change to make it LH? I have a Mex Fender Strat

you'll probably just have to buy a new guitar that is specifically made for left handed people, such as : http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0135122332
All you really need is a lefty bridge and a new nut. It shouldnt really be to hard, no cutting sawing or anything involved, just unscrew everything holding the bridge in when you get the new one and replace it the way the first was installed with the new one.
The nut I dont know for sure, but I think you could just pull it off w/ pliars, but find a better source then me for that one.
All in all it should run you around 100 bucks ish
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
i could just probly take it back and trade it for a lefty, Its not brand new i have messed with it allot but it still looks like brand new,
ya best shot is learn lefty...you won't be able to fingerpick very well but seeing as your into metal, i think you'll be ok. sucks about your accident though...
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Im not really even wanting to learn fingerpicking..

But thanks for all the help everyone..
go hendrix style! at least until you can get a lefty guitar
R.I.P. S.R.V. dimebag ain't got nothin' on you.
R.I.P. Hendrix... nevermind, god can't die
well i was going to try to learn power chords with my feet but you know..

didnt work out =)
I usually do power chords in drop D with my index and middle finger.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Zach_F
All you really need is a lefty bridge and a new nut. It shouldnt really be to hard, no cutting sawing or anything involved, just unscrew everything holding the bridge in when you get the new one and replace it the way the first was installed with the new one.
The nut I dont know for sure, but I think you could just pull it off w/ pliars, but find a better source then me for that one.
All in all it should run you around 100 bucks ish

except that all his tone/volume knobs would be on the topside of the bridge
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless