What would you get in terms of completely new bass gear?
1x Bass
1x Amplifier
+whatever else, as long as the total is under 800
I wouldn't get anything, I have prime gear, but I would save the 800 for an Ampeg or Trace Elliot Stack.
I owuld either get a Fender 400PRO or: a fulltone distortion, some kind of nice wah, a BBE Sonic Maximizer, a Boss RC-20 loop station, and a Digitech Bass Chorus. If that was over $800 I would take out the wah. If still, then the distortion.
uh...
lemme think.

huge pedalboard ($300)
talkbox ($150)
Electro-harmonix HOG ($300)
GK Distortion pedal ($150)

well that didn't take long. can I have $2000 more?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I'd either buy

Tech 21 Sans Amp Rackmount Bass Driver
OR
GK 700RB-II Head
OR
Deluxe Jazz bass (to match my Deluxe P, white with the red tortise-shell pickguard )
OR
Geddy Lee sig Jazz
OR
Either a Gallien Krueger Neo 212 or a Gallien Krueger SBX 4x10 with a Backline 2x10. Of course, then I'd sell my current cabinets so I'd have MORE money to spend, but I won't cheat

If I could buy a combination of these things I would do that, but I just don't feel like figuring out all the possibilities.

EDIT:
OR

An assload of distortion/overdrive pedals so I can find the one I like finally
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Last edited by hatebreed219 at Oct 14, 2007,
I played a $750 Ocean bass today that was hella nice. I'd probably get that.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
People, he's asking what you can get for 800 dollars for a WHOLE NEW rig, not what YOU want with an 800 dollar limit.

Threadstarter, for your bass go used... pawn shops, ebay, craigslist, etc. Play before you pay if possible, and you might have a very good deal. For amps... just try your best to get whatever has a sound you like and a decent wattage.
haha
Well... $800 isn't very much for a new rig, unless I'm downgrading

But just to play along:

Spector Legend Classic 5-string $550

Used combo amp I saw at a music shop in town $350

Whoops I'm over budget. Go figure.
idk maybe this acrylic 5 string galveston off of ebay and a Warwick Blue Cab 60 60W 1x12 Bass Combo Amp. Might be a little bit over 800 though.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
I have a crappy bass and a crappy amp, so I would have to spend maybe 300 on an amp, 400 on the bass, and the extra 100 for effects.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
People, he's asking what you can get for 800 dollars for a WHOLE NEW rig, not what YOU want with an 800 dollar limit.

Threadstarter, for your bass go used... pawn shops, ebay, craigslist, etc. Play before you pay if possible, and you might have a very good deal. For amps... just try your best to get whatever has a sound you like and a decent wattage.

haha yeah he totally got it.
i have a 150$ dean playmate 10 and am currently using a guitar amp as a bass amp. (terrible, i know)
i'm looking to totally revamp my equipment, and am just looking for some good suggestions on how i would do it. (under 800 dollars of course)

and if you could, specifics would be nice, e.g. brands, models, wattages, and good things to look for.

thanks.
what I bought

Crate BT50 combo + Squier VM P bass = roughly $500 spent
Quote by benttwig33
down payment on a stingray

haha yeah then id only have $145 left!!!
lmao it would be nice
not down tho..jsut a payment

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by phaank
haha yeah he totally got it.
i have a 150$ dean playmate 10 and am currently using a guitar amp as a bass amp. (terrible, i know)
i'm looking to totally revamp my equipment, and am just looking for some good suggestions on how i would do it. (under 800 dollars of course)

and if you could, specifics would be nice, e.g. brands, models, wattages, and good things to look for.

thanks.

Well, used basses... for like 200-250 you can find an MIM Fender. That leaves you potentially 600 bucks for a rig, so look into maybe a used GK head and a cab? Check your local craigslist. If you're playing with a band and jamming get around 300 watts preferably. Whatever you have left, buy good new cables.
haha
If I were u I would just buy a bad ass amp, and just wait to get a better bass. Because a good bass is nothing with a ****ty amp.

U can get a good half stack or combo for 800 bucks.

Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club.
$800 budget... hmmm...

I would scour the Craigs List ads for about 6 months looking for a bargain. My friend just bought a $400 bass for about $100, and even though it has a few dings and is not set up correctly, with a little TLC, the bass will play and sound fine. If he's not entirely happy with the bass, he could solder in better pickups for about $100-$200, and if that doesn't suit his fancy, then he can turn around and try to sell it for a little more than what he paid for. Patience and diligence is key. Buy used gear--you'll save bucks that way. However, take a few months to cross-ref with Ebay items, since you need to know how much the market pays for these basses. Don't just jump in and expect to see a bargain the first day--it will take weeks (sometimes months) to find a gem of a deal. It is worth your time to do so. I've bought several basses this way, and all of them are gems.

Right now, you can get a sweet Carvin bass amp (BRX-112 Neo) for about $700 new. It is a great little bass amp. If you can find one used, buy it. It's an 800W amp with a neodymium speaker magnet--you will not be hurting for volume or tone with this amp.

Good luck--after all, I am looking at Craig's List too everyday!
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
CL is definitely the way to go for deals on music gear - i got my head (Ampeg SVT-3 Pro) and cab (Traynor YBX1510) for $350 and $300 respectively.
If I had 800 dollars, I'd buy a damn brewery and turn the planet into alcoholics. </eminem reference>

heh, if I had $800 lying around, I'd probably buy a halfway decent bass, seeing as how I don't own one and I'm tired of having to play bass on keyboards for my recordings.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
I would get a savings account or CD with 4% interest. That way, in two years, I could get an $865 guitar.
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Last edited by Agent-X at Oct 15, 2007,
what i would do would be buy a monster mini rig. i would get an 4ohm avatar B210neo(or 4x10 cant make up my mind) and a Avatar B212neo in orange tolex and use my rack i have now. i would also consider getting a used Basson,new avatar 2x10 or used ampeg portabass210/212(wichever i can find that is priced right) and a smaller head like a used Ampeg B2Re or Genz benz neopack or something like that.

or posably a fender bassman 400 pro combo or ampeg 300wat or 600 watt combo w/ a 15 inch speaker would be nice too.

when you have a very nice huge rig you start thinking it sure would be nice if i had a small rig too that i can take to parties/rehersals when i dont really need the 8x10 so there is not so much of a logistics issue to play

800 would get me my compressor, sonic maximizer, and a wireless it probably would get me a badass 2 bridge with some money left over. if i was buying stuff for my main rig i might get a nice multi FX instead of wireless

so then i would buy a new 4 string, either a ESP F404 or a B2005 if i can find one anymore. i also want the Vintage 4 really bad ...bad bad but just to have i would probably use the 404 more ... but then again ... well they are two totally different basses for totally different spectrums of sunds anyways ..
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Last edited by Emergancy Exit at Oct 16, 2007,
oh lord.
a 250 dollar MiM Fender Deluxe Zone Bass on craigslist?
dis must be my rucky day
as a rule i would say amp but i already have a nice amp so given my current curcumstances for me a bass. But for you an amp.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Cort Artisan B5 and a Line 6 Lowdown (that would work for me >_> or a Peavey TNT
If I only had 800 dollars I would wonder were the rest had gone
'Have you felt the trembling in your stomach, the bass that leads us there'