Page 1 of 2
Seeing as George and Paul get their own threads, I figured John should too.

So to kick things off which tracks do you love by ol' Johnny? Which tracks do you hate?
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Happiness is a Warm Gun, Julia, I'm Only Sleeping, Across the Universe.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
^I think he means solo career.

Anyway, I think some of his albums are very good (Plastic Ono Band, Imagine) but others are very uneven. I think he had more focus as a songwriter as a Beatles.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Last edited by Cptbeefheart at Oct 14, 2007,
^ Yeah I could see that, and agree. I've reviewed a good chunk of his solo catalog so far and I've been a Lennon fan in general all my life. He really peaked with 'Imagine' and 'Plastic Ono Band', and he followed it up with the eyebrow raising 'Sometime In New York City' and 'Mind Games', and 'Walls And Bridges' really wasn't much better. 'Double Fantasy' showed some promise and think he would have only gotten better with age. Shame he had to go when he did.

Quote by Kartman

I think all of the Beatles were better when they were together. They just had something. But I do like John's solo caree. I anjoy all their solo careers, but I probably like George's the best, anyways.

My favorite John Lennon songs are Instant Karma and Cold Turkey.
I love Jealous Guy, such a beautiful song.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Cold Turkey
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
my favorite solo John song is "Beef Jerky" off Walls n Bridges.. very awesome instrumental.. i wish there were a tab for it.

with the Beatles.. id say Cry Baby Cry is amazing, i always loved that... though ive read that John himself thought it was a pile o sh|t.
Quote by Cptbeefheart
I think he had more focus as a songwriter as a Beatles.

I agree. I believe John got a solo career to get out there and tell it like it is against all the crap he didn't like in the world.

And yet some of it is priceless.
My favorite John Lennon songs are all on Imagine, my top two being Oh My Love and Oh Yoko!.
I think his solo work was pretty hit or miss. Songs like Crippled Inside, Gimme Some Truth, Instant Karma! are great but a lot of the stuff like Woman, Just like starting over etc is a bit weak.
Quote by radio_schizo
I think his solo work was pretty hit or miss. Songs like Crippled Inside, Gimme Some Truth, Instant Karma! are great but a lot of the stuff like Woman, Just like starting over etc is a bit weak.

Interesting you should say that, (Just Like) Starting Over and Woman are probably in my top ten favourite Lennon tracks. I really like the Double Fantasy album, it's mostly Mind Games that I found a bit weak.

Quote by Kartman

I bought a CD with all of his solo acoustic pieces and I love it. The whole thing is enchanting.
Quote by wahappen

This is a guitar community not Romper Room.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEX__YXmDs&mode=related&search=

Awsomeness.

Love the little riff that goes:

-------------------7\5-4-3-2---|
-------------------------------|
----------------/8--\6-4-3-2---|
-------------5-----------------|
--------5-/7-------------------|
-3--5/7------------------------|
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
^ Yeah off 'Yer Blues', that Dirty Mac performance is so good!

Quote by Kartman

Quote by Sloopy
^ Yeah off 'Yer Blues', that Dirty Mac performance is so good!

That performance was amazing, so amazing that a couple of friends of mine have stopped calling things cool, if we really like something it's "Dirty Mac".

"My parents are out of town for the next 3 days so I've got the house to myself"
"Aw man that's Dirty Mac"
"Hell yeah, it's Dirty Mac"

I have weird friends...
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Quote by bodyheatseeker
That performance was amazing, so amazing that a couple of friends of mine have stopped calling things cool, if we really like something it's "Dirty Mac".

"My parents are out of town for the next 3 days so I've got the house to myself"
"Aw man that's Dirty Mac"
"Hell yeah, it's Dirty Mac"

I have weird friends...

I'm going to start doing that now
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Loved John in the Beatles, wrote some good stuff post Beatles, also wrote some bad stuff...

My theory, is that the Beatles separately didn't suffer from not having the others, but more from having to come up with all the material entirely on their own...

In the Beatles, Paul might write 5 good songs, John might write 5 good ones, George would write 2, Ringo 1... (You get the point)... Because all of their solo stuff (except Ringo) had some great songs in it... as well as some bad stuff... there was no room for "filler" in the Beatles because there was too much good material...
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
Last edited by TDMize15 at Oct 19, 2007,
Quote by kidsilcon
Ringo's song - It Don't Come Easy was good

As was Photograph... but those hardly make a great solo career...

I however love Ringo, think he is a very good drummer... and I tend to like his songs, but that's irrelevant here.
Quote by kidsilcon
Ringo's song - It Don't Come Easy was good

I love that song so much. It's one of my favourite post-Beatles song.
Quote by TDMize15
Loved John in the Beatles, wrote some good stuff post Beatles, also wrote some bad stuff...

My theory, is that the Beatles separately didn't suffer from not having the others, but more from having to come up with all the material entirely on their own...

In the Beatles, Paul might write 5 good songs, John might write 5 good ones, George would write 2, Ringo 1... (You get the point)... Because all of their solo stuff (except Ringo) had some great songs in it... as well as some bad stuff... there was no room for "filler" in the Beatles because there was too much good material...

i can pretty much agree with that.

i like his solo stuff, but i prefer him with the beatles.
Anyone else find Imagine to be at first an awesome message and song, but when you actually think about what he says, it doesn't seem so meaningful, but ideas that can never work.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by TDMize15
As was Photograph... but those hardly make a great solo career...

I however love Ringo, think he is a very good drummer... and I tend to like his songs, but that's irrelevant here.

But that's not what you said was it?
"Because all of their solo stuff (except Ringo) had some great songs in it."
Quote by sinan90
Anyone else find Imagine to be at first an awesome message and song, but when you actually think about what he says, it doesn't seem so meaningful, but ideas that can never work.

I don't know, I've never absolutely loved Imagine. I realise the message John's trying to convey and the atmosphere/time it was written, but I just think it's overplayed crap. I'd rather hear 'Give Peace A Chance' at a peace rally or something.

Quote by Kartman

Quote by Highbinder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEX__YXmDs&mode=related&search=

Awsomeness.

Love the little riff that goes:

-------------------7\5-4-3-2---|
-------------------------------|
----------------/8--\6-4-3-2---|
-------------5-----------------|
--------5-/7-------------------|
-3--5/7------------------------|

Is there a tab for that version of the song anywhere?
Quote by Sloopy
I don't know, I've never absolutely loved Imagine. I realise the message John's trying to convey and the atmosphere/time it was written, but I just think it's overplayed crap. I'd rather hear 'Give Peace A Chance' at a peace rally or something.

It's really overplayed and the song isn't that good.
The lyrics aren't that deep.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by DarTHie
It's really overplayed and the song isn't that good.
The lyrics aren't that deep.

Are you talking about Imagine or Give Peace A Chance?

The Imagine lyrics I like a lot, just the song gets on my nerves after awhile.

Quote by Kartman

Quote by TDMize15

Totally Agree
^ Yeah, I really think that last paragraph especially sums it up.

Anybody here ever heard the album 'Sometime in New York City'? It's not very popular or well known but its got a few neat tracks. Lotsa Yoko stuff though, be warned. It's not that she's bad on this record, but the songs are not what you'd expect from John per se.

Quote by Kartman

john lennon has become a staple in music history for a reason..

he was cut out to do music. come on, the man was eloquent, daring, and cared more for a laugh than for a picture in the front page. aside from the personality that helped him along the way you have to look at the amazing capacity he had for properly assembling every demension a song needs to become a standard..

he started out with fairly simple but effective lyrics, perfect as the first few beatles songs were pretty much that- fairly simple but effective. since the very beginning he had a great sense of structure, he never overdid the guitar riffs and that gave room for powerful melodies; furthermore, he was among the gifted songwriting singers that have an ability many people overlook: he excelled at the art of combining lyrics with melody in the sense that the actual flow of the words weigh more than both the lyrics and the melody, which is incredibly difficult because in order for it to work both the lyrics and the melody have to be quality work.
"life is very short, and there´s no time."
if i write a punk song and smash that into the chorus or middle eight or whatever it will not sting the listener in the way that it does in we can work it out. if he had gone with a more complex and less generalized lyrical scheme for this part of the song it would have been less effective as well, but the weight of specific words and syllables in the phrase, partially due to the contrast with the verse that also displays a kind of duality (pauls singing happy joy joy lyrics, jumpy melody, major chords; john lashes out the same lyrical idea from a negative point of view, with a more tragic and classical melody over a minor chord progression-his specialty when writing 50/50 with paul at the time), and partially due to the powerful meaning of simple words sung to a powerful melody over a simple progression.

i´m not going to ramble on because you were probably expecting solo career responses but john was a beatle and i didnt mix in the others enough for this to be out of place

basically, he had a natural talent and chose a path that helped it really branch out. his dabbling with drugs had some outstanding effects, but at the time it killed some of his old style, so the outcome´s quality after that point depends on the listener´s taste.

famous musicians enjoy drugs, face it. some day you will, or wont, just dont judge him for it

ps someone tell me why changing an avatar was so muich easier a while back
Last edited by JamminEmu at Nov 2, 2007,
^ I think you've analyzed the situation very well. I do agree with the bit on Paul's major-melody bit countering John's minor-melancholy bit.

Quote by Kartman

How Do You Sleep? is a great song, despite the "message", which I don't really understand. I mean, he's bashing him in the beginning, but then he likes him in the end?

Nevertheless, the Oriental style string arrangements are great
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by therussian
How Do You Sleep? is a great song, despite the "message", which I don't really understand. I mean, he's bashing him in the beginning, but then he likes him in the end?

Nevertheless, the Oriental style string arrangements are great

How Do You Sleep voiced his feelings for McCartney all too well. You're right he starts off violent and then seems to lay off a bit, I remember reading decades ago that that final verse he had some terribly nasty things to say but he laid off them for no reason other than his own fear. I'll try and dig out the article for everybody. For those strings are good, but completely unnessacery in a song like that. That whole album is, as Lennon said, "too syrupy with the strings".

Quote by Kartman

In response to JamminEmu...

John was great lyrically, and a good singer...

But I don't think anyone would argue that Paul was the one that really had the knack for melody... I'm not sure I'd give John credit for all of "his" catchy melodic parts...
Quote by TDMize15
But I don't think anyone would argue that Paul was the one that really had the knack for melody... I'm not sure I'd give John credit for all of "his" catchy melodic parts...

Who knows though right? Like we'll never really know for sure who wrote what, and most importantly what defines a 'catchy' melody?

Sorry I'm in a questioning mood right about now.

Quote by Kartman

Quote by TDMize15
In response to JamminEmu...

John was great lyrically, and a good singer...

But I don't think anyone would argue that Paul was the one that really had the knack for melody

No doubt. Paul was where it was at when it comes to melody, and still is, just listen to some of his solo stuff and you'll hear it. Not to mention his Beatles stuff...you can clearly tell which parts he wrote in songs.
Page 1 of 2