A few months ago I came in and said that I could hear the bass to Metallica's - One and a lot of you didn't think I did. So I tabbed out the verse, this took me about 5 minutes by Ear. Very simple verse

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- x2
----2------2----2br-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------3------3------0-----------------------------------

----2------2----2br---0-----0------2-----0-----------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------3----3-----0---------

That's basically what I hear for the verse...comments? (I'm not a very good tabber as you can see)
You're not the only one who can hear it. It's easy to pick out if you try to hear it. Seriously if you aren't able to pick it out you're deaf or don't have a good ear in picking out instruments or something.

The bass comes in at 1:10 into the song.
Last edited by -zj* at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by -zj*
You're not the only one who can't hear it. It's easy to pick out if you try to hear it. Seriously if you aren't able to pick it out you're deaf or don't have a good ear in picking out instruments or something.

The bass comes in at 1:10 into the song.

Yeah, that's what I said before. Here's the thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667787
Quote by Charlatan_001
Okay... so what's the point here?

+1
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
it is very hard to explain tho and as im sure most of you know but i feel liek re explaining it lars and james mixed it so naturally james had the guitars and vocs really loud and laras had the drums leaving the bass super quiet.... IMO i think they should re issue it with the bass louder...let rob re-write it

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Yeah, the bass was definately low compared to any other of their albums. By the way I disagree with that tab if that's the intro for the bass.

G|--------|----4-------|------------|----4-------|-------------|
D|--------|------------|------------|------------|-------------|
A|-2-2-2-2|2-----2-3-2-|------------|2-----22h32-|-------------|
E|--------|------------|3-----3-0-2-|------------|3------3-0-2-|

and etc...

I really don't like having to tab it up in this thing...and I'm too lazy to open up word.

But the bass lines in One are really awesome...that right there is actually the boring part. And as I believe in the video, Newsted played with a 5-string...though he didn't need it...I don't know I'll have to look again.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Quote by Narcotics
it is very hard to explain tho and as im sure most of you know but i feel liek re explaining it lars and james mixed it so naturally james had the guitars and vocs really loud and laras had the drums leaving the bass super quiet.... IMO i think they should re issue it with the bass louder...let rob re-write it

Some guy named Lokire from talkbass rerecorded the songs with decent bass, they are at youtube check them out.
They ousted the bass on ...And Justice For All deliberately in their subtle hazing of Newstead being the replacement of Cliff Burton. As much as I like Metallica, I've always kind of hated them for never accepting Newstead, because he was a really good bass player and bass writer, but had the stigma of being the replacement for Cliff. In the S & M recordings you can actually hear a decent amount of his skill because there's no mixing process to come down and block him.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
Quote by Ingsoc
They ousted the bass on ...And Justice For All deliberately in their subtle hazing of Newstead being the replacement of Cliff Burton. As much as I like Metallica, I've always kind of hated them for never accepting Newstead, because he was a really good bass player and bass writer, but had the stigma of being the replacement for Cliff. In the S & M recordings you can actually hear a decent amount of his skill because there's no mixing process to come down and block him.

I can also hear him really well in the black album.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Ingsoc

Yeah I heard that they mixed him out because he had pissed them off somehow so they taught him a lesson by mixing him right down.
Yeah because he was 'cliff's replacement' they turned him down to spite him etc,
but i think some of the songs sound very good with hardly audible bass.

I always feel bad for Jason tho when i think about it