Our band just recently wrote a song entitled "Someone Like You", and the chorus lyrics go like this:

I just don't know what to do with myself...
I just don't know what to do with myself...
Wastin' away, sleepin' right through the day,
Can't be good for my health...
But I just don't know what to do with myself...

Anyway, whatever.

Our problem is there's a song by the White Stripes called I Don't Know What to Do With Myself.

Musically, the two songs share nothing in common aside from that line. It's kind of the whole meat of our song, so I really don't want to change it, but do you guys think this would be a problem? Any suggestions?

I just don't know what to do with this song. Thanks in advance for the replies.
dont worry about it, as long as you werent trying to rip off the white stripes and the songs dont sound anything similar except that lyric its ok,
besides i just dont know what to do withmyself is a common phrase
Send me off to bed forevermore.
don't worry, you'll never get famous enough for it to matter.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
not a problem.. there are many songs even named the same title so you're fine
Quote by DunlopGuy
I...don't...get...this...thre (brain explodes)

Quote by glib homunculus
I make love to cheesecake.

I seriously doubt it. There's also a Bang Tango song called "Someone Like You" and that's not Plagiarism.

It not like the line is something very unique like "I don't know what to do with my Psychedelic Rhino Fetus" or something, it's just something common. I think you'll be okay.
Quote by ibanez87
I seriously doubt it. There's also a Bang Tango song called "Someone Like You" and that's not Plagiarism.

It not like the line is something very unique like "I don't know what to do with my Psychedelic Rhino Fetus" or something, it's just something common. I think you'll be okay.

dont the scorpions also have a song with that name? if i can recall its a really good song....

it doesnt matter as long as the tune isnt too similiar

Jack my swag
Big difference between writing cliches and plagerizing... should both be punished? Yes, but as long as the song has nothing but a line in common you're in the clear
Quote by gopherthegreat
dont the scorpions also have a song with that name? if i can recall its a really good song....

it doesnt matter as long as the tune isnt too similiar

No One Like You I think it is...
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
not plagiarism...that would be like saying that the word "baby" would be plagiarism
isn't that a burt bacharach song?

but whatever, it just a phrase, as long as it doesn't sound like the original song i wouldn't consider it plagarism