He really wants a Fender, but he likes Metallica's tone so he wants EMG's. I told him to opt for Dimarizio's heavier buckers and go HSS or HSH in a strat.

What should I tell him? To me a Strat with EMG's in it is blasphemy.
It's his guitar, let him get what he wants.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
I agree with the person above me, but suggest a double Fat Strat or a 72 Tele Deluxe and to put either EMG HZs or Dimarzio D-Activators
Acoustic.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
get a mandolin
Quote by Gunpowder
Just remember, you can't spell "Ugly" without "UG"

Quote by tands

nasstyman you are full of win in the same way tobacco companies are full of ****
Strat+EMGs=Gilmour!
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
It doesn't matter if you're convinced EMG's in a strat is blasphemous, it's his guitar. All you can do is give him your personal opinion, and let him make up his mind. If that's what he gets, he may be happy with it, you never know.
Genius may have its limitations; stupidity is not thus handicapped.
David Gilmour plays a Strat with EMGs. 'Nuff said, but they make a Kirk Hammett EMG loaded pickguard that will fit a double humbucker strat.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by TJM2482
He really wants a Fender, but he likes Metallica's tone so he wants EMG's. I told him to opt for Dimarizio's heavier buckers and go HSS or HSH in a strat.

What should I tell him? To me a Strat with EMG's in it is blasphemy.

How is it blasphemy? As long as your friend likes them, it doesn't really matter if it is "right" or not.
Be cool.
Quote by Here_is_no_why
David Gilmour plays a Strat with EMGs..

yeah and he also has every big muff known to man
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
I was telling him to check out Dimarzio's and Seymour's mostly because he kinda had an idea that only EMGs will get a good metallica tone. I know it's his guitar, but im just saying, he only wanted EMG's in it because he wants a heavy Metallica tone, and I told him he could do just the thing with Dimarzio's and he wouldn't have to route the body for a battery and whatnot.

He's not loaded so he was thinking of just buying a Standard strat, and getting pickups when he gets a new amp (his "amp" is so bad he refuses to use it).
And yeah Gilmour uses EMG's, but they're his signature ones.

By EMG's I mean 81/85/60.
Well, me and my guitarist Fuzz try to convince our friend Matt that Fender is as good as Gibson (notice not BETTER, but equal at the least) but he refuses to listen, saying stuff like they're all the same, have crappy tone, etc... (which is SOOOOOO WRONG! But it's his opinion) just liek it's your friend's opinion to put EMG's in his Fender... I saw let him go for it, and try to bridge the hate between Gibson and Fender (not that I'm a pacifist, but I hate one-sided people...)
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
Quote by ShaunFrusciante
yeah and he also has every big muff known to man

and several known to monkies! *kudos to whoever gets the reference*
btw, there was a point in me putting that analogy, but it got lost...
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
Quote by Eric 666
and several known to monkies! *kudos to whoever gets the reference*

MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
Hurhurhur'.

Tell him to get a first act dual-humbucker for like, $89. Then shove some EMG's in that. Then he can save for a new amp.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Note how narrow his range of equipment he'll actually use is.

He apparently cares more about his equipment then his sound.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.