So i was wondering..i've been a videogamer since i was like 8 and i got my n-64. But i haven't played a videogame in at least a year when my sister took my ps2 to college(bitch).
I was wondering what is the reason videogames make you "stupid"? But also I've got friends who play all day but are in all kinds of a.p classes and crap and hella smarter than me.
Also..What contributes the most to drops in a persons intelligence?
videogames
television
marijuana
or alcohol?

i was wondering about this because i may ask for a ps3 when christmas comes along.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
video games rot your brain, smoke weed instead
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Drugs man...they kill brain cells.

Games don't make you stupid, if anything, they improve your reflexes and the puzzles help your abstract thought.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
For children, they create interests. I played Age of Empires 2 all the time when I was younger and was obsessed with medieval stuff, etc. I still have a keen interest for a lot of things that was spurred by videogames, but when you're a kid, a keen interest isn't always a good thing.
I'm a communist. Really.
A lot of gamers I know are turbo nerds. I have yet to meet a stupid gamer.
Quote by H^2

Wise words Trashfan.

trashfan
Quote by Chubbychunks
It's not going to be that great. Although particle physics does give me a hadron.
Video games spawn horrid internet trends, i.e. "Do a barrel roll!"

Other than that, they do no harm. Unless you play a seriously crappy game, you know, like Glover. He was a ****ing glove. Seriously.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
no, its weed cause weed makes you play video games and video games high make you stupid,
btw did i tell anyone im getting a Xbox360 soon (lol)
I am awesome

I agree with myself

Third Ninja Commander of the UG Society of Ninjas.
Videogames don't make you dumber. Most people(mygoddamnparents) don't realize how much mental capacity it takes. After playing Halo 3 for enough hours you reach a certain skill level where your ability to aim doesn't really matter anymore, since everyone else can shoot just as well as you. The winner is the person who can outsmart his opponent and is the most creative while trying to kill.
Quote by Raziel2p
For children, they create interests. I played Age of Empires 2 all the time when I was younger and was obsessed with medieval stuff, etc. I still have a keen interest for a lot of things that was spurred by videogames, but when you're a kid, a keen interest isn't always a good thing.

+1 games can help you learn things without going to school lol

and keen interest for kids is a bad thing...specially when a kids exposed to pr0n for the 1sti time...i know about it
It helps your reflexes and certain kinds of abstract thinking I should think.

BUT, it also tends to engender a general apathy towards doing anything else I think .
Quote by sum_ugly_man
+1 games can help you learn things without going to school lol

and keen interest for kids is a bad thing...specially when a kids exposed to pr0n for the 1sti time...i know about it

yep i experienced that when i was 8 as well as videogames lol

how about videogames vs tv? i've heard you don't learn anything from t.v because your brain isn't thinking about hardly anything. So videogames would be more productive than t.v because you're at least thinking about solving a certain problem right?
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Video games don't make you stupid at all. You listen to your parents too much if you think they do.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
Quote by TechnicolorBoy
Video games don't make you stupid at all. You listen to your parents too much if you think they do.

actually someone from UG said it on someone's thread who was talking about wanting to buy a ps3 or an xbox or something. But also my guitar teacher said it rots your brain lol
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Anyone who thinks it damages your brain simply hasn't found any games he/she likes, or has too much prejudice. Anyone who's brain is actually damaged by videogames has to sit 10 hours a day or more playing them, and then again there's tons of other things you can do 10 hours a day that'll hurt you just as much or more - such as eating.
I'm a communist. Really.
no video games dont make you dumb....constantly playing video games is probably not a bright idea. everything in moderation
yeah i used to play an online game for like 10 hours a day. But regular games aren't anywhere as addicting i think. Plus there's always guitar+school+my band
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Video games improve your reflexes and puzzle solving skills, TV makes you dull, unless you pay attention to writing and/or producing, weed slows your brain cells if you smoke it constantly, biut won't leave any lasting effects, and alcohol kills brain cells in high amounts, which will stay that way your whole life

/thread
Quote by Raziel2p

For me, it was Age of Empires.

Stone - Iron Age intrigued me. I learned so much from that game.

I actually passed World History off alot of that game.

Games teach you alot. Reflexes and everything.
Puzzling, math all that.

But only til Junior year, then your fu*ked.
Quote by stringmagician
Video games improve your reflexes and puzzle solving skills, TV makes you dull, unless you pay attention to writing and/or producing, weed slows your brain cells if you smoke it constantly, biut won't leave any lasting effects, and alcohol kills brain cells in high amounts, which will stay that way your whole life

/thread

Fact^ I hardly play video games, and I suck at problem solving and puzzles.
Last edited by JDawg at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by stringmagician

/thread

And if you mix them all together, hell breaks loose!
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by Here_is_no_why
Video games spawn horrid internet trends, i.e. "Do a barrel roll!"

Other than that, they do no harm. Unless you play a seriously crappy game, you know, like Glover. He was a ****ing glove. Seriously.

Hey! Glover was awesome.

And, no, they don't. It was just the 90s way of denying responsibility for your wrong doing, and a loop hole to get out of trouble.

Just like comics in the 50s, marijuana and LSD in the 60s, and metal in the 70s and 80s.

And, as we can all see, we found out NONE of the above stated things had very many adverse effects on your life (if they had any at all).
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Video games have been proven to make you better at problem solving. TV lowers brain activity. Alchohol kills brain cells obviously. Marijuana has little or no impact on intelligence.

edit -this just got posted in the drug thread and I think its relevant here too

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20030701/heavy-marijuana-use-doesnt-damage-brain
Last edited by Spaceman_Spiff at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by Raziel2p

Amen brother.

I know a phenonemal amount of military history just from strategy games.

That said, I don't think gangsta rap shoot 'em ups or GTA will teach you much, except for how to survive on the mean streets, know what I'm sayin', G?
Quote by xxtrigger
Obviously Marijuana and alcohol screws up your brain more.

I would tell you to prove marijuana screws up your brain, but you'll just go dig up some bull**** propaganda that has to be true because good ol' Uncle Sam says it is.

I think the main argument against video games is that they take up a lot of time where you could be doing "more productive" stuff. It's kinda like the Pit dragging my 1 page summary into a 4 hour ordeal.
As much as I'd like to believe it, I don't think video game reflexes actually help anyone in real life.
Not all TV is bad. Sesame Street teaches you the alphabet, Care Bears teaches you about morals and values, and just today I watched TVO (Television Ontario) and I saw like 20 different benefits to healthy eating in like 5 minutes.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
it's not video games that make you lose intelligence or anything, its time you waste playing them when you could be doing something productive.
sup?
Bad parents.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by MedicreDemon
Bad parents.

Werd. No outside influence is as detrimental as bad parenting.
Quote by Slaytanic6606
Drugs man...they kill brain cells.

Games don't make you stupid, if anything, they improve your reflexes and the puzzles help your abstract thought.

Drugs do not make a person stupid.

Marijuana has made me go from a C student to an A student.

I should also add that 90% of my friends that smoke marijuana are ****ing geniuses.

So no, don't blame marijuana. Ever.
Quote by Inimical
TV brings brain activity lower than when you're asleep.

brain activity is at its highest when your sleeping if i'm not mistaken. Which is why we can have crazy dreams.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
brain activity is at its highest when your sleeping if i'm not mistaken. Which is why we can have crazy dreams.

Not sure if it's higher or not... but basically I wanted to emphasize that people who watch TV are "making themselves dumber" than if they played a video game.
Quote by Inimical
Not sure if it's higher or not... but basically I wanted to emphasize that people who watch TV are "making themselves dumber" than if they played a video game.

yeah seriously the t.v at my house is on all day except when everyone is asleep. My mom must watch at least 4-5 hours a day. She doesn't work and i'll just say, not to disrespect her or anything but she's not the brightest crayon in the box.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp