Page 1 of 2
HeY!
I want an amp that has a good sound, be reliable and one of the best options in the solid state range. I´m planning to buy this Marshall, but I have seen both bad an excellent reviews, so I would like some of you to give your opion or review it. My gear is a Ibanez SZ520QM, Boss ME50, and Marshall Mg15CDR.
I mainly play metal and hard rock such as Metallica, Black Sabbath, AC/CD, etc. So please tell, me if this amps suit my needs.
THX!
Quote by muffinman123192
It's terrible, don't get it unless you plan to throw it out the window. You will regret it.

Why do you say so?
Quote by muffinman123192
It's terrible, don't get it unless you plan to throw it out the window. You will regret it.

Listen to this man, he knows what he says.
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
i was thinking about that originally, as i have the me50 also, but at high volumes it will start to sound digital. so i would recommend a tube, maybe a peavey valveking, the 50 watt will be louder than the mg you're looking at
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
Quote by tarlkea
Listen to this man, he knows what he says.

Could you then, suggest another amp.plz
When you throw it out the window make sure it lands on Jim Marshall's head.
Quote by jhjps
i was thinking about that originally, as i have the me50 also, but at high volumes it will start to sound digital. so i would recommend a tube, maybe a peavey valveking, the 50 watt will be louder than the mg you're looking at

Please give me more oprions but totally solid state not tubes or valves, I wont be giving them maintenace every 2 years!
Because it's a terrible sounding amp that gets sales based on the fact that "ITZ A MARSHALL OMGZ!!!!1!!!!ONE!!!".
Ben
Quote by ZpYkNiW
Why do you say so?

Imagine, if you will, a beehive.

Imagine that this beehive is on top of a 1987 Toyota Camry.

Imagine that you ran a chainsaw through this beehive while naked.

Imagine that the bees then stung your ears with the resulting tone, causing you to drop the chainsaw and lose your manliness.

This is what will happen if you buy an MG.

---

Seriously though, even for a solid state they're crap. The distortion is buzzy times 10, and the cleans are rather uninspiring. They're strictly beginners amps. If you still want solid state at a decent price point get the Vox Valvetronix AD100VT 2x12 combo. Even my tone***** friends sware by the Valvetronix's when they don't want to lug their heads places.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by TehJermie
^hybrid.

Yeah but apparently the tube makes a negligible difference anyway, and I've never heard of anybody changing the tube or breaking it.

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Mo Jiggity
Yeah but apparently the tube makes a negligible difference anyway, and I've never heard of anybody changing the tube or breaking it.

used the 15 watter. changed the tube to a NOS i had lying around and it sounds better than half of what a lot of people are using for gigs around here(and i live in a HUGE industry city)
it actually uses the tube in the power stage, and since its a "pre amp" tube it saturates insanely quickly. so yeah.
and TS, tube amps arent that hard to take care of anyway. youre just being a baby.
Quote by TehJermie
used the 15 watter. changed the tube to a NOS i had lying around and it sounds better than half of what a lot of people are using for gigs around here(and i live in a HUGE industry city)
it actually uses the tube in the power stage, and since its a "pre amp" tube it saturates insanely quickly. so yeah.
and TS, tube amps arent that hard to take care of anyway. youre just being a baby.

Then I stand corrected

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
I'll tell you now that the only differences between the MG15 and the MG100 are the wattage and the price. They both sound exactly the same.

Take a look at the Crate Palomino series, or a used Marshall JCM800 combo.
Quote by muffinman123192

ehh, it's not like it's awful. It's a decent beginner amp but it's horribly overpriced. Thats where the problem is, the pricing.

You're spending way too much for an MG head. What is it, $300 or so, for a louder mediocre sounding head. By the time you buy the cab it's like $600 or so. Sure halfstacks look cool but when you have an undersized 4x12 and head that isn't as big as a Mesa Oversized cab you look like a fool.

For that $500-$600 you could buy something very quality such as a 5150 combo, used Traynor combo (i'm going with Slats word on that one), Mesa F-30 or 50 combo, Line 6 Flextone II, or B-52 AT112/212 combo.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
if you want solid state and play heavy stuff.. get a cube. if you want hard rock- blues. get a VOX ad30vt.. if you want to be depressed and possibly kill yourself from the depression, get a marshal MG
Quote by The Real Ming
whoa "huge industry city"

i was just explaining that i wasnt comparing it to ****ty crate practice amps. diezel, stacks blaring in stadiums, and boutique amps are something i hear every week.
Quote by MESAexplorer
You're spending way too much for an MG head. What is it, $300 or so, for a louder mediocre sounding head.

hehe, more like 460USD. The head is the MG100HDFX or something.
I owned it, bad mistake on my part.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Oct 15, 2007,
It's a heap of ****, I made the "cheap halfstack" mistake & got a MG100HDFX & it was ****.

For what you play I'd suggest the Randall RG-50 TC or the Marshall DSL401.
Dean From Hell
Jackson USA King V
Randall RG-50 TC All Tube Combo
Quote by ZpYkNiW
Please give me more oprions but totally solid state not tubes or valves, I wont be giving them maintenace every 2 years!

OH NOES! I WILLS HAVES TO CHANGEZ T3H TUBEZ EVRY COUPLE OF YEARRRZZZZ.

For crying out loud, tubes are not a hassle, and giving them the odd retube and biasing every couple of years (which doesn't cost much, by the way) is hardly a major problem. If you bothered to read up on valve amps you'd realise that this small sacrifice every couple of years is far better than buying a hulking great piece of scrap metal (i.e, the MG100DFX), that will enivitably get orange juice spilled on it, and die, with no chance of rescuing (as if you'd want to.).

I suggest you go away and read up on tube amps before you throw them out of the picture.
the mg100 is completely pointless infact the world would actually be better off without it. The fact is that the MG10 and 15s are okay because they are at least just small practice amps, who cares if they sound good or not? but the idea of this massive amp which is still just as cheap and sounds just as bad, infact worse because you're heavily amplfying the crapness really amounts to theft at the end of the day, preying on ignorant people like you who think that just because it's big and marshall will make it good.

It's really the same as the way people will pretend to be builders or water testers or gas men or something like that and prey on the elderley and nick all their money only marshall have dressed up a really ****ty amp in an "official" suit and are making vunerable people believe that what they are getting for their money is a good service when in actual fact they're just gonna end up with nothing. It's sick really. That's why you shouldn't buy one.

Tube amps really are not that much of a hassle, you even said it yourself, 2 YEARS. You must be really lazy if you can't be arsed to do something once every couple of years. Besides there's no definte rule saying a tube will break in <x> amount of time. a lot of people have amps they bought in 1978 that still have the original tubes in them. When they break is completely up to chance, it could be in a month, it could be in 25 years. Of course it also matters what volumes you play at and how regularly you play it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I agree with everyone who said go with tubes, it's the only real option for someone with a normal budget. I love the classic "but you have to change them every 2 years" line, it never gets old.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Well I can say this for sure the Line 6 Spider III 15 suck balls....got a free Marshall GR15 CD and that sounds way better thatn the Line 6 does.....and I also found this .......enjoy
http://www.marshallamps.com/artists/artist_quotes/artist_quotes.asp?quoteId=56
My Gear:

Epiphone
Zakk Wylde Custom Bullseye
Silvertone Sunburst Strat Copy
S101 Standard Black Strat Copy
Boss Distortion DS-1 F/S!!!
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Soon: Roland Cube 20x
Quote by Mo Jiggity

it does make a difference if you can hear that sort of thing. when you hear the signal from the headphones/line out, it sounds a lot more digital than it does coming out of the speaker.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Bull_Chit

The guy endorses Marshall- he CAN'T say that it sounds like a beehive, he's PAID to say that it's 'crushing'

You have no idea how many times that quote has been ripped apart by UG
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^^^^^lol
My Gear:

Epiphone
Zakk Wylde Custom Bullseye
Silvertone Sunburst Strat Copy
S101 Standard Black Strat Copy
Boss Distortion DS-1 F/S!!!
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Soon: Roland Cube 20x
Quote by MESAexplorer
ehh, it's not like it's awful. It's a decent beginner amp but it's horribly overpriced. Thats where the problem is, the pricing.

You're spending way too much for an MG head. What is it, $300 or so, for a louder mediocre sounding head. By the time you buy the cab it's like $600 or so. Sure halfstacks look cool but when you have an undersized 4x12 and head that isn't as big as a Mesa Oversized cab you look like a fool.

For that $500-$600 you could buy something very quality such as a 5150 combo, used Traynor combo (i'm going with Slats word on that one), Mesa F-30 or 50 combo, Line 6 Flextone II, or B-52 AT112/212 combo.

Yeah, it's an okay practice amp, but they don't market it as a practice amp. They're trying to sell it comparing it to a Plexi.
Ben
You know, contrary to what everyone says, I actually think my MG15CDR sounds good. Or am I just good? I dunno...

I can't wait to think what I'll sound like through a "good" amp...
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by Chex
You know, contrary to what everyone says, I actually think my MG15CDR sounds good. Or am I just good? I dunno...

I can't wait to think what I'll sound like through a "good" amp...
Have you ever cranked or played through a tube amp?
Dean From Hell
Jackson USA King V
Randall RG-50 TC All Tube Combo
I think someone already mentioned B-52 but i second that. I got mine for exactly $500, and believe me the "maintenance" really isn't any more than watching for overheatingness (with the help of fans) and turning it on correctly.
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
Quote by Exsuratientoel
Have you ever cranked or played through a tube amp?

Yes, I have a DSL 401 and I hate it. I don't like the reverb and there isn't enough gain.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid