My friend wants me to rewire his Les Paul. He doesn't want to mess with the soldering iron. I already use them a lot I just never used one to rewire a guitar. I have everything I need already I just need to know what I need to do. So can anyone help me out here so I can get started on this?
My Gear:
Boss EQ-20
Budda BudWah
Fender Highway One Strat
Gibson SG Standard
MXR M-101
Traynor YCV80
Well...what are you rewiring? Surely you're not just taking everything out and putting it back in again.
No he gutted the thing already. I really don't even know why he is going through the trouble. He got the new parts together and dropped it off this morning for me to wire up. I just got in for the day so I'd like to start on it or at least read up on what to do.
My Gear:
Boss EQ-20
Budda BudWah
Fender Highway One Strat
Gibson SG Standard
MXR M-101
Traynor YCV80
Thanks for the link. One question though. This is most likely my best bet. My issue is that the pots all won't be able to sit in the cavity in the same direction. One set of pots will have to be flipped around if that is making any sense. So will I have to reverse to way I wire those two pots? For instance the middle lug on the volume pot will still be output but will the ground be switched from the right in the picture diagram to the left instead? Will that also change for the corresponding tone pot?
My Gear:
Boss EQ-20
Budda BudWah
Fender Highway One Strat
Gibson SG Standard
MXR M-101
Traynor YCV80
Just turn the picture around in your head you dont wire them backwards. The tone and volume pot lugs face each other in a LP. The ground is on the same lug it doesnt matter which way it faces. But one thing you will need think about is you can wire a LP to be independant volumes, or each is master volume. Your friend really should not have just pulled everything out and gave it to you alot more headaches for you. As you say you have never done a rewire before are you sure you want your friends self made problems.
I don't mind doing it. Plus I've been wanting to learn how for awhile so now is a good time I guess. Well I'll trying wiring it up and see what happens. Hopefully all will go well but I'll see.
My Gear:
Boss EQ-20
Budda BudWah
Fender Highway One Strat
Gibson SG Standard
MXR M-101
Traynor YCV80