i hate how people feel that they NEED to play a song exactly as it was recorded, which, i think, just makes it quite boring to hear, and doing that gives me no reason to want to hear the cover of the song, instead of the original.

i also hate it when people get pissed off when they go to a concert, and the artist does one of their well known songs and changes it up a bit. but i find that interesting, and it's kind of a relief to not hear that over played song yet again done the exact same.

what are your thoughts on this?
sup?
Sure, why not.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I love it when a band changes up their own songs and make it sound new again.

and yeah, usually there is no point in doing a cover song unless there is something refreshing and new about it, but what are ya gonna do? no point in complaining, if it bugs you, don't listen to it, right?
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
whats the point of doing a cover you dont add dimension to it?
And thats why im a dead fan
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Anyone who goes to a concert and is disappointed that the band doesn't play a song exactly how it sounds on the album would be devastated if they ever saw the Grateful Dead...

EDIT:^Typed my post out before I saw your response. Cheers for the same line of thought!
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
I like it when bands or artists have their own personal interpretations of songs, rather than 100% mimics.
ehh...if they're covers like a school talent show or something then i think you should play it exact but if you're recording a cover, you should definately change it up a bit.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by NunoSlash
Covering a song note by note shows how much effort you have put, and also IMO there are song that are "perfect" and i wont add or take anything from them, thats why i would cover something note by note.

+1
i agree with nunoslash i mean i recorded a cover of under the influence i wouldnt be happy i didnt play it as it was recorded it thats the whole point
Quote by NunoSlash
Covering a song note by note shows how much effort you have put, and also IMO there are song that are "perfect" and i wont add or take anything from them, thats why i would cover something note by note.

but i wouldn't see the point in listening to those covers.
sup?
Quote by Its_Rock77
ehh...if they're covers like a school talent show or something then i think you should play it exact but if you're recording a cover, you should definately change it up a bit.

+1
Nice compromise
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
yeah recording, please change it up, but live, i think it's fine to keep it simple and stick to the record so to speak.

speaking of good covers, i absolutely love the perfect circle cover of "when the levee breaks"...

best interpertation or what have you that i've ever heard personally.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
agree, specially the solos, i hate when a band is doing a cover and play the solos exactly the same
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by x_thurston_x
yeah recording, please change it up, but live, i think it's fine to keep it simple and stick to the record so to speak.

speaking of good covers, i absolutely love the perfect circle cover of "when the levee breaks"...

best interpertation or what have you that i've ever heard personally.

Ill go for that.

But their cover of Imagine makes me want to shoot myself
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
TS, what are some of these songs that you hate because they are exact? just curious.

I know that when my band practices, playing a song we know is a good way to establish rhythm. Although I agree that recording exact covers is lame
Quote by Its_Rock77
TS, what are some of these songs that you hate because they are exact? just curious.

umm

do you mean in concert or recorded?
sup?
When playing for someone else or for youtube you need to play the song note for note or the people you are playing for will not understand that you improvised and instead think they you made a ****load of mistakes and consequently think you suck. If you play it improvised on youtube, the band's fans will think you suck for "butchering" their song unless you improvise it EXTREMELY good.
Quote by ldl67
umm

do you mean in concert or recorded?

yeah, are they live covers or not?

and if you wanted to name some specific songs id like to know that too.

I don't mind perfect covers if it really is good and played by a pro cover/tribute band, but if your throwing it in a normal show, it's nice to mix it up a little.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Honestly, I fcking love hearing a band do a song in a way that I had never even thought of hearing it before. And I also love live variations, otherwise why not just sit at home and listen to the disc?

But sometimes I alter the lyrics. Nothing huge just gender-wise, so it doesn't feel like I'm singing to a gal. It's not really a big deal, just something I do. Is it wrong for me to sing do a Plain White T's cover of Hey Jeremiah?
Doing covers is a no win situation. If you play it the exact why it was originaly recorded, people will hate it because it's exactly the same as the original. It you add a new demention to a song, people will hate it because it doesn't sound like the original.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Quote by Assasaurus
Doing covers is a no win situation. If you play it the exact why it was originaly recorded, people will hate it because it's exactly the same as the original. It you add a new demention to a song, people will hate it because it doesn't sound like the original.

Tell that to Jimi Hendrix.