Hi guys, im new here , so be nice please
I use a Yamaha Pacifica 112j and a Roland microcube, ive been playing for almost a year now, and i am awaiting the clearance sale of music shops (there's one near my house who should have one at around christmas). I was wondering with my current set-up should i save up for an amp or for a new guitar?
Im not interested with playing gigs at the moment but would like to at least be able to jam with my friends. From my own point of view my yamaha pacifica has been great to learn on, but im more into heavy stuff.
My budget should be around 500AUD but can change slightly up or down from that, most probably up. BTW the pricing of guitars are quite different between here and America, Epi LP standard are almost a grand here.

Thanks and have a nice day

Any reccomendation is greatly appreciated
Last edited by UrMomsMom at Oct 15, 2007,
New guitar for sure.
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
You'll get this from most people here. Buy an amp before your guitar. Your amp is the most important part of the rig as far as sheer tone goes. But if you can't stand actually picking up and playing the guitar, it would probably be a different situation.
probably an amp, since the one you have will probably not be loud enought...I dont know how much things cost where ever you live so I couldnt really advise anything...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
^^+1
Definitely, get a new amp.

The Roland isn't bad. But, you won't be able to hear it over the drums.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
For the amount of cash you have, you won't get an upgrade for your amp or guitar.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
For refrence, i can probably afford if i was to buy a new guitar something along the price range of LTD ec50 or jackson JS20..
If i was to buy a new amp, it should be along the price range of Fender FM212R, or a Line 6 spider III 30w
Quote by UrMomsMom
For refrence, i can probably afford if i was to buy a new guitar something along the price range of LTD ec50 or jackson JS20..
If i was to buy a new amp, it should be along the price range of Fender FM212R, or a Line 6 spider III 30w

Like I said, none of those are upgrades to what you already have.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I don't know the prices and what's available in Australia, but if you're considering gigs, definitely amp. The Yamaha Pacifica isn't a bad guitar overall, a good amp will do MUCH more for your tone than a new guitar. MC is decent, but not suitable for gigs imo, even practice would be hard with a drummer, no matter what guitar you're using..
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
What state are you in?

As much as people hate the FM 212, if you just need volume for practicing, it's a safe bet. You can get a 2nd hand 212 for 350 pretty easily, and sell your microcube and buy some effects or a multi effects pedal.
Update:
Shop near my house has a sale that they call doorbusters!!(happens once a year) Basically they have these items for really cheap but there's only one of them and first to get it, get a real cheap price... i have a good chance of getting one as i might camp out there
ok here's the list of items im thinking of getting but i have to be absolutely sure when i get there to avoid being disssapointed.

PRS SE single cut - $200 <- dont care what model its PRS !!!
BC Rich Warlock <-$5 !!!!
MG100DFX <-$30 (lots of bad reviews, but for $30?)
Hartke h2500 and vx115 cab <--$399
EDIT: and also Ibanez RG350EX <-5bux
The sale is this saturday, but most items would probably gone by the morning, and i have no time to try any of these out due to other commitments
Last edited by UrMomsMom at Oct 15, 2007,
Out of those, the PRS is the best guitar. And I think the Hartke amp would be a lot better than the MG. But is there anything else that they'll be selling cheap? Look out for valve (tube) amps...
Quote by Denthúl
Out of those, the PRS is the best guitar. And I think the Hartke amp would be a lot better than the MG. But is there anything else that they'll be selling cheap? Look out for valve (tube) amps...

Those are the main cheap stuff other stuff discounted heaps as well but i still cant afford it
Buy the PRS, the Warlock, The MG, and the RG.

Keep the PRS and sell the rest on Craigslist or Ebay for a fair price.

After that, you should have enough to buy a nice, little tube amp.

If you can do it, congrats.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
roland cube 60

should be able to get it for 500 exactly - if they want more, like 550 or something then tell them to throw in a footswitch or a lead or some strings even.

IMO its the best amp for heavy stuff in your price range.
Quote by UrMomsMom
Update:
Shop near my house has a sale that they call doorbusters!!(happens once a year) Basically they have these items for really cheap but there's only one of them and first to get it, get a real cheap price... i have a good chance of getting one as i might camp out there
ok here's the list of items im thinking of getting but i have to be absolutely sure when i get there to avoid being disssapointed.

PRS SE single cut - $200 <- dont care what model its PRS !!!
BC Rich Warlock <-$5 !!!!
MG100DFX <-$30 (lots of bad reviews, but for $30?)
Hartke h2500 and vx115 cab <--$399
EDIT: and also Ibanez RG350EX <-5bux
The sale is this saturday, but most items would probably gone by the morning, and i have no time to try any of these out due to other commitments

holy crap man thats one heck of a sale!

you gotta focus your funds on a nice tube amp if you want the "TONE" though, and volume too. a 15watter would work well, dunno what they cost in australia though?
Quote by Cofflecakes
they'll only let you buy one of the specials.

What state are you in?

Yep they only allow one and must pay cash

Im in WA
I think the Pacifica would sound really good through a tube combo. The PRS SE is a really nice guitar for the money, looks and sounds good, and the neck is decent. I'd be inclined to go for a new amp.
You can look for a new guitar and use the microcube through a PA to get more volume for a jam.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS